yin-bodhi

Columbus, OH

Hi, I got into the Chemistry graduate program at OSU. Now I am looking for a place to live. Can someone inform me on a safe quiet part of campus? I am looking for a peaceful neighborhood.

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure where exactly the chemistry department is. Anyway, you should look to live on the west side of high street. The east side is considered not so safe. I find the south campus area better in terms of safety (or the perceptions of it). I live near King Ave. Its quiet here too. So Neil Ave takes you from south campus to the perpendicular King. So any place around that area (Neil and King) should be good. If you arrive a little early (or if you visit to arrange housing), you should be able to find plenty of options around here in the summer.

Could somebody tell me if this place: http://www.metro-ren....com/Clintonvil ... hotographs is convenient to OSU? How is the neighborhood? (safe?)

Hey, I know someone who lives there. That is a very safe neighborhood; it is near where a lot of families live, bordering on the way to the suburbs. Those apts are kind of depressing and small and far from campus, however. I live in Clintonville and while it would be nice if I had a family, I don't and I live on a busy street that is very noisy and is hard to sleep (those apts that you are looking at are also on a noisy busy street, my friend has troule sleeping too.) Since I don't know how much longer I'll be living in Cbus, we aren't moving, but if I were to do it over again, i would NOT live in Cville, I would choose Vic Village or the Short North because you can walk everywhere including to campus (a bit far for a walk though). It's more expensive in those areas though.

So I'm heading to OSU for this fall. Can anyone tell me:

(1) When should I start looking for an apartment for a September lease? June? July? August?

(2) Any management companies you recommend I avoid?

(3) Any management companies you recommend?

(4) Any realtors that may exist that help people find apartments to rent? (This is common where I'm from, although I've heard it's not common there.)

(5) What's reasonable rent to expect for a 1 bedroom grad student apartment, hopefully with wood floors, a parking spot, some outdoor space, a gas stove, and ac, and what's reasonable to expect to pay monthly for utilities?

Neighborhood wise, I'm planning on looking in Clintonville, Grandview, Short North, Victorian Village, and maybe Upper Arlington, although I have to say I fell in love with the German Village when I visited. Anyone know any OSU grad students who live there? I'll have a car, so I suppose distance isn't as important as nice apartment, nice area.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone cares to give, as I'll be doing my search from the East Coast and hope to fly out for no more than a weekend to actually look at places (when I don't work, I don't get paid :( ) Thanks!!!

Hi, I know people that live in all those places. Upper Arlington is too far IMO (and also very rich and yuppieish). German Village is too far and too expensive but yeah, awesome otherwise. Grandview is nice, a little too far, but if you go towards Vic Village that might be closer. Vic Village is nice, you can walk places the house are nice and old and have character, if you live south of King Ave you can avoid the undergrads. It can be expensive, but its doable, most everyone I know lives in VV or the Short North. I live in Clintonville and its a little too far and too 'suburby' even though its not the suburbs. It's mostly families. It's the most affordable place to live I think. Don't live in Indianola or High Street or Weber though if you want to sleep at night. It's really loud on those streets. From my experience, I've known three people who moved here to Clintonville and all ended up moving to VV and if I could do it over again, I would have lived in VV near Goodale park or near 1st street, east of high. Those are places that have nice apts, not bad neighborhoods, and are walking distance to lots of stuff. Rent's a little bit higher though than Cville. Hope that helped!

I've lived in Columbus my whole life and also attended OSU for my undergrad and I'm about to ship out elsewhere, so here's the skinny on a few major points.

Car or No Car: Unless you never want to leave the campus area, you are going to want a car. We have a city bus system that is free for students, but it is far from awesome. It can get you to and from the Short North (which is an artsy/hipstery affluent urban type area with some solid dining and libations as well as some galleries) and downtown and then up into Clintonville which is where a lot of grad students live. The bus routes offer very limited hours and if you like to get a little sauced on the weekends, don't count on any buses after the bars close. Also there aren't very many grocery stores that it would be at all convenient to use without a car near campus. The city is large, but it isn't a true 'urban' city. Everything is spread out and very suburban. To sum it up, you can live and stay pretty much in the campus area and you'll be fine without a car, but it will really cut into your flexibility.

Where to live: There are three areas where most grad students live: 4th/Summit East Residential, Clintonville & Grandview. 4th/Summit area is just east of campus and is easily accessible on foot, via bike or the Campus bus system, which runs a route through the area and drops you off all over campus, it runs fairly late and is actually super convenient. This area though is a little sketchier than the other two. It's bordered to the south and the east by two pretty crime-laden areas and is generally where people have issues with break-ins and mugging. It's not rampant, but it exists. There are a lot of undergrads here and if you're looking for peace and quiet, probably not the best bet.

Clintonville is just north of campus and is a nice area that has a decent grad population as well as an older crowd. It has its own pretty decent bar/dining area on High St. and is pretty convenient to campus. This area is my recommendation. Housing is affordable on most grad stipends, there are a lot of dog-friendly parks and extremely liberal and tolerant people. It's where grown-ups live to go to school.

I can't comment that much on Grandview, it's a little pricier and a little less convenient to access campus without a car, but otherwise it's a lot like Clintonville, if not a bit more affluent. Everyone I know who has lived there has liked it, just make sure you can budget it.

Cost-of-Living: Columbus is a relatively cheap city. If you're going to live by yourself you can find a studio for as low as $350 in a not-to-ghetto area but for a decent one bedroom expect to spend between $500-600/mo. Lots of cheap eats. Columbus is also the home of every chain restaurant/store/bar ever it seems. We have some nice local establishments around the campus area, but we are dominated by the chains, so there are places to buy anything relatively cheaply from the man who is undercutting our local businesses. I survived living on campus making less than a $1000/mo for a long time.

Just a few things answering a couple of questions I've seen

Gay & Lesbian community: Columbus has a pretty large and active community in this regard. The Short North in particular caters to this crowd and you'll see a lot of business owners flying the rainbow flag, the same is true to a slightly lesser extent in Clintonville. Columbus is a Mecca in the Midwest for the Gay community and only rarely shows the lack of tolerance typical to the rural midwest.

Beer: Columbus sports a couple of Ohio-based brews, the best of which I would say is Great Lakes and they make some pretty solid beers, their IPA, Burning River is one of my favorites and it's not at all rare to find this on tap in the area. There's also Columbus Brewing Co. which makes some decent brews, but nothing to write home about. We've also got Gordon Biersch, which is decent but more prevalent in the downtown area than anywhere else. But don't worry a lot of bars carry microbrews from elsewhere, Bell's abounds.

Hope it helps, I'll check this every so often if anyone wants a local's spin. I know the place, so if you have questions that venture more than 5 miles outside of campus, I'm your guy.

I'm going to bump this one with a quick question.

I see there are a ton of places to rent, but what about buying a condo? If I go to OSU, my bf's dad wants to buy a place for us for the long haul. I would pay rent as if it were an apartment. What are some good areas to look for, or are they similar to the areas previously mentioned? I would prefer to be able to walk/bus to campus, though I will be buying a car (field-work intensive program plus I will be commuting to the Wooster campus occasionally).

If you want to reasonably walk/bus/bike to campus, there are only three options that I would consider: 1) Short North/Victorian Village (southwest of campus), 2) South Clintonville (sorth of campus), 3) Northeast campus (south of Clintonville, but north and a bit east of the most concentrated undergrad areas).

As someone who likes living in neighborhoods with a degree of economic diversity, I am very fond of the Northeast campus area. Many, though, especially ultra-suburban types, tend to think of it as a little rougher around the edges than they would prefer. That said, I know at least two graduate students who have recently purchased very nice houses in the area for far less than they would have paid in most parts of Victorian Village and Clintonville. There is also a campus-operated bus that runs through this part of town, which tends to be a little more convenient than the city's main COTA system, since it goes directly to and from the central OSU campus.

That said, most graduate students live either in Victorian Village or Clintonville. The former (VV) is closer to most of the nightlife in Columbus, so if that is important to you, you might want to avoid going as far north as Clintonville. I don't really have too much to say about these areas, as some others have covered the major points pretty well.

I'm going to say this, and some others may disagree, but simply don't move to Grandview, which is significantly southwest of campus. It's a nice area -- like Clintonville in many ways -- but the buses that run from there to campus are far less frequent, and walking/cycling are pretty much out unless you are quite dedicated. From Northeast campus or most (northern) parts of Victorian Village, you can be on campus in fewer than 20 minutes if you walk. On bicycle, you're looking at between 5 and 10 minutes.

There are those who opt to live in German Village, but I would definitely avoid it, as it's simply too far. The main bus option is the #2, which runs very often, but most stop very frequently, making the trek through downtown, the Short North, and campus quite long. I should note, however, that as an OSU student with an ID, COTA rides are free.

If you're looking to purchase housing, you're not likely to find a great many condos that aren't absurdly expensive, since the vast majority are quite new. Of course, houses aren't dreadfully cheap either, but you'll pay less than you would for the hyper urban bourgeois condos that are going up in the Short North right now. Just to give you an idea of the price of these newer developments: http://www.jacksononhigh.com/price7.html. If you have any specific questions, you can message me privately.

I'm going to bump this one with a quick question.

I see there are a ton of places to rent, but what about buying a condo? If I go to OSU, my bf's dad wants to buy a place for us for the long haul. I would pay rent as if it were an apartment. What are some good areas to look for, or are they similar to the areas previously mentioned? I would prefer to be able to walk/bus to campus, though I will be buying a car (field-work intensive program plus I will be commuting to the Wooster campus occasionally).

Hi all,

I will be attending OSU's political science PhD program in upcoming fall. Related to this, I have started apartment hunting in Columbus area and found University Gardens as an affordable place to live in. Does anyone of you have a knowledge about the property? Any kind of feedback will be appreciated :)!

All the best...

Thanks to all of the posters; there is a lot of great information on where to live. It seems like VV, Grandview, and Clintonville are the names I see mentioned the most.

What I didn't see any information about was parking. I looked through the OSU transportation and parking website and there are a lot of different levels of passes. It seems as if funded grad. students can buy an orange faculty pass. From what I can ascertain, these passes range from pretty cheap (~$80/yr.) to really expensive (~$600/yr.). I think that the cheapest gives you access to the lot on Western whereas the most expensive allows parking on campus and in the garages on campus. Is it worth it spend a ton of money to get a surface lot and/or garage pass? That is, can you find a spot in either case or are you just wasting money? Any advice on the parking/transportation front is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks to all of the posters; there is a lot of great information on where to live. It seems like VV, Grandview, and Clintonville are the names I see mentioned the most.

What I didn't see any information about was parking. I looked through the OSU transportation and parking website and there are a lot of different levels of passes. It seems as if funded grad. students can buy an orange faculty pass. From what I can ascertain, these passes range from pretty cheap (~$80/yr.) to really expensive (~$600/yr.). I think that the cheapest gives you access to the lot on Western whereas the most expensive allows parking on campus and in the garages on campus. Is it worth it spend a ton of money to get a surface lot and/or garage pass? That is, can you find a spot in either case or are you just wasting money? Any advice on the parking/transportation front is welcomed and appreciated.

If you park on Neil (a little away from campus, which is free), its a 10 minute walk to the oval. I don't know exactly where the statistics building is. So if you park around 1450-1480 Neil (free off street parking), you probably can just walk to your department. Also, its probably best to just take the bus which is free so that you don't have to worry about parking. Better yet, find a place that is at a walking distance from your department (plenty available right now).

I haven't heard anybody complain about not getting spots to park on those permits, so I'm guessing the cheap ones should do the job but I really don't know for sure since I don't own a car yet.

I went to OSU for undergrad and had friends that lived in basically every possible area of Columbus that I visited frequently so here are some thoughts for places to live and other randoms:

Short North/Victorian village is probably my top recommendation for a place to live. It's quiet, close to campus but in an area where it's rare to see undergrads on the weekends. It's a family area and one of my good friends lived here with her two older sisters (one PT student, the other med student). Lots young families and overall nice people. It's a good area to go running when it's nice out and if you live close enough to Neil Ave. you are a short walk away from the med center. You're also a less than 10 min drive from downtown and the COTA buses run pretty frequently and they're free for anybody with a BuckID. The Short North is a great area filled with delicious and diverse restaurants and great bars (Bodega has an intense beer menu and if you go there for happy hour during the week go early). If you're in to sushi avoid Haiku on High Street in the Short North. It's overpriced for decent sushi (I didn't like it and neither did a couple of my Japanese friends). Tyfoon downtown is better but just as overpriced. Your best best is Akai Hana out on Henderson Rd. It's more authentic, DELICIOUS, better priced and right next to a Japanese market.

Avoid driving on football Saturdays. Traffic is a nightmare anywhere close to campus.

If you're going to deal with campus realtors AVOID Buckeye Real Estate and Home Team Properties. The people that work for these two places are evil and don't care to fix anything that gets broken. Customer service is awful and they will find ways to charge renters for the most asinine thing.

Columbus is a really cheap place to live. If you're tight on money for your living situation, you can find decent one bedroom apartments close to campus for less than $500 a month.

Columbus is a surprisingly diverse city. As a minority myself a lot of people told me before moving there that OSU and Columbus in general lacked diversity but after 4 years, whoever told me that was totally wrong. There's a scene for just about everybody. You just have to find it. I'm originally from Chicago and I can say that i LOVE Columbus! OSU has a great community feel and the students are dedicated to their school. Even if you're not into football, you can't help but get excited to watch the Buckeyes play. Campus is beautiful during Spring Quarter and the impressive newly built Student Union (which I've read is that biggest student union in the nation) and main Library are great additions to campus. On top of the great rec facilities and amazing med center, OSU is just an overall great place to study. I wish I was still there!

Hey guys!

My girlfriend and I have both been accepted to graduate programs at OSU and will be moving from abroad to Columbus this fall. I have two questions, that I was hoping someone here might be able to answer:

1) All the grad-housing on campus seems to be meant for either single students or married students - does anyone know it there is any on-campus housing available for unmarried couples without children?

2) If we'll be staying off campus, we will probably need around two weeks to find the right place. The only temporary housing available seems to be for those who have on-campus housing contracts for the academic year... then there are hotels/motels obviously, but that's way to expensive. Is there really no affordable option for students needing temporary housing while they settle in and find off-campus housing?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

My girlfriend and I have both been accepted to graduate programs at OSU and will be moving from abroad to Columbus this fall. I have two questions, that I was hoping someone here might be able to answer:

1) All the grad-housing on campus seems to be meant for either single students or married students - does anyone know it there is any on-campus housing available for unmarried couples without children?

2) If we'll be staying off campus, we will probably need around two weeks to find the right place. The only temporary housing available seems to be for those who have on-campus housing contracts for the academic year... then there are hotels/motels obviously, but that's way to expensive. Is there really no affordable option for students needing temporary housing while they settle in and find off-campus housing?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think there is housing for unmarried couples without children on campus. I know Buckeye Village is where some married couples with children live but I don't think they'd allow for you and your girlfriend to live together if you're not married. The Neil Ave building I believe has graduate housing. It's a fairly new building (4ish years old) on south campus close to the med center. But I wouldn't recommend living here because it's not the type of atmosphere for (most) grad students.

As far as temporary housing, I would talk to the people in the Office of International Affairs to ask about it. http://oia.osu.edu/international-students.html They might provide info on that and I would think that people in the past have needed temporary housing while looking for places to live, especially students from abroad.

Good luck!

Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!

If you look on the offcampus housing website, you will find rooming houses (these are specifically for this purpose.. I know many people in your situation who have rented rooms in such houses until they found apartments they could move into). You can rent rooms temporarily until you find a place. Its fairly easy to find a decently priced place near campus. I am married and live just off campus and my wife is unemployed due to visa restrictions and we do just fine. With two stipends, you should have nothing to worry about. So my advice would be to rent a room in such a house temporarily until you find a place where you can move into.

I know this is a little different than most students, but I'm going to be bringing my wife and two young children with me to grad school. I'm almost definitely coming to OSU, and since we'll be there for five years or so, I'm looking for a place in an area that will be family friendly and safe, as well as having decent schools. How far from campus am I going to have to live in order to find something like that that's affordable?

Also, my undergrad university has a dry campus. How big of a distraction (if any) is having a wet campus?

I know this is a little different than most students, but I'm going to be bringing my wife and two young children with me to grad school. I'm almost definitely coming to OSU, and since we'll be there for five years or so, I'm looking for a place in an area that will be family friendly and safe, as well as having decent schools. How far from campus am I going to have to live in order to find something like that that's affordable?

Also, my undergrad university has a dry campus. How big of a distraction (if any) is having a wet campus?

You could check out Clintonville, about a 10-15 minute drive north of campus (it's on a bus line if you live closer to N High St).

I don't find a wet campus to be a distraction per se, there's just always a bar if you want to grab a drink.

Upper Arlington is pretty great. Look at the Kingsdale area. There are a lot of young families living there. It's a good mix of rentals and for-sales. A lot of post-war style homes (2-3 bd, 1-1 1/2 ba). About 5-10 min from OSU (depending where you're going on campus). Near a nationally-known hospital, grocery store, shopping, restaurants.

With the wet campus, I would just avoid the main drag (High St.) after 10pm on the weekends. Drunk undergrads clog the sidewalks. I do find it funny that there is one bar called The Library ;).

Upper Arlington is pretty great. Look at the Kingsdale area. There are a lot of young families living there. It's a good mix of rentals and for-sales. A lot of post-war style homes (2-3 bd, 1-1 1/2 ba). About 5-10 min from OSU (depending where you're going on campus). Near a nationally-known hospital, grocery store, shopping, restaurants.

With the wet campus, I would just avoid the main drag (High St.) after 10pm on the weekends. Drunk undergrads clog the sidewalks. I do find it funny that there is one bar called The Library ;).

+1 on this. I guess I could've clarified; a wet campus is only a distraction if you need to drive down High St on a weekend. :P

I'm an employee at OSU right now paying for parking... What it comes down to is what you are willing to deal with. If you get the West Campus passes, there is always plenty of parking, but only on West Campus. Unless you are going to be in one of the few buildings located out there, you'll have to take the bus in to central campus. I think the campus buses are pretty reliable. If you live in certain areas, like parts of Clintonville, it can be easier (and cheaper) to just take the bus to campus. There are fairly regular buses that run up and down High St- I did this for a year in undergrad when I lived in Clintonville.

As far as regular student © parking passes, from talking to people it seems that it can be a pain to park on the main part of campus even if you have one, so the difference between a west campus and regular student pass might not be worth the difference in price. With an A pass (the most expensive), however, you are pretty much guaranteed a place to park on the main part of campus. Those are for faculty & staff though, so I'm not sure graduate students are eligible for them. I do see a special kind of student pass, called a CPS pass, in the parking garage sometimes, so you may want to check in to what the requirements are for that one.

Overall, I'd start cheap and see how much inconvenience you are okay with. You can always upgrade later.

If you are willing to commute a little further, Dublin is very nice, affordable, and from what I hear has excellent schools. It's about a 20 minute drive if you can avoid the worst traffic. It seems like a lot of faculty live out that way, and I've even met some grad students who do. Most students prefer to live closer to campus, but Dublin is definitely more family friendly than the campus area.

Graduate students with TA/RA/fellowship are eligible for B staff parking passes. It's about $30/month (and is deducted from your payroll) and if you get to campus a little before 9am there's usually no trouble parking. I've also always found a spot around 2pm, but you may have trouble.

West Campus parking is much cheaper though (I just checked - $7.40/month!) so that's a consideration. Damn, I may switch next year, that's some good money to save.

I work on campus and so does my partner. Neither of us even consider driving, it's just way too expensive. I don't know a single graduate student that has a permit- it's less expensive to just live close enough to campus or a busline. I live too far to walk, but I can take the bus, bike path, or get a ride from my partner. It's just far less of a hassle than parking, because it's also hard to find spots I've heard unless you get there at 6 am. It's urban, so there are few spots and things are expensive. I'd suggest taking the bus. Sorry I don't have specific numbers- no one I know has a permit!

OK, a crazy question here: what is the cheapest housing option? I mean cheap like realllly cheap ;) I don't care about undergrads all around, 10 people in one room, ... nothing. Call me crazy, but I basically use housing as a sleeping place for 7 hours/day maximum. I'm usually out in labs classes or having fun. So I want to know about THE CHEAPEST.B) is something like $200-300/month or less possible?

Edited by ibangz

OK, a crazy question here: what is the cheapest housing option? I mean cheap like realllly cheap ;) I don't care about undergrads all around, 10 people in one room, ... nothing. Call me crazy, but I basically use housing as a sleeping place for 7 hours/day maximum. I'm usually out in labs classes or having fun. So I want to know about THE CHEAPEST.B) is something like $200-300/month or less possible?

I would think that the absolutely CHEAPEST rent would be in north campus. I mean as far as being close and cheap, north campus is pretty shitty (sorry) so it's cheap. Cheap but far away would be anywhere east of 71 and the railroad tracks. Though that's far away, you'd have to drive, which is expensive. But rent there is cheap. Hope that helps!

I don't have a permit myself either since it's very expensive. I'd consider living along the East Residential CABS bus line. It runs every 12 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes at night. The times of service are from 7 AM to midnight. However, there's no weekend service. :( By living along this bus line, you can bike, bus, or walk to campus pretty quickly. I don't know why anyone wants to live farther away from campus in Clintonville or Dublin.

Yeah, honestly, I think people live in Clintonville because it's nice yet cheap.. .but its far away enough that you are either going to have a 20-30 min commute or pay for parking. I really really recommend living in the Victorian village, short north, Italian village area. Clintonville kind of sucks.