Columbus, OH

yin-bodhi

I'm planning to move to Columbus when my contract is up, which means finding a place with a July 1 lease start date. I would like to live in Clintonville, Grandview or someplace else walkable. When is the best time to house hunt for a rental? I can go now, but it would be rushed as this is mid semester. My other option is coming sometime in May. If I wait 'til May, will all of my best options be snapped up?

I'm planning to move to Columbus when my contract is up, which means finding a place with a July 1 lease start date. I would like to live in Clintonville, Grandview or someplace else walkable. When is the best time to house hunt for a rental? I can go now, but it would be rushed as this is mid semester. My other option is coming sometime in May. If I wait 'til May, will all of my best options be snapped up?

For these areas, I think waiting until May would be better. The very best options go quickly -- often the same day of posting. But apartments in these areas seem to open 1-2 months before move-in, so looking now probably wouldn't help much. (You can check out craigslist to see when the posted apartments in these areas are available for move-in.) 

Does anyone have experience living in the Brewery District or German Village? I'm looking at an apartment complex there, as I really like the area, but it is a little bit farther from campus as other options. I'm trying to avoid the undergraduate area though. Are there many direct bus lines that go to the campus from that area?

I haven't actually even been down there yet, but I know it's pretty far away, from campus, and I personally don't know any students (grad or otherwise) who live there. But looking at the COTA bus system, it seems like the 7, 8, and 18 lines would take you pretty much straight to campus from German Village. Even the 2 goes pretty close to German Village (and the 21, which is the nighttime equivalent of the 2). It looks like it would take 22-35 minutes just on the bus, not including walking time to and from stops (and Ohio State is pretty big, so you might have to walk a ways). The 2 is pretty frequent, but I'm not sure how frequently the other buses run.

Looking at the schedules, it honestly doesn't seem like it'd take that much longer to get to campus from German Village compared to Grandview, where I live. Drat!

Bus schedules can be found here: http://www.cota.com/Schedules.aspx

The best way to plan a trip is to go to Google Maps and get "public transit" directions between your locations of interest. (It's endorsed by COTA.)

I don't think COTA is that bad at all. I often take the bus when the weather is too bad for biking (or I'm lazy). It's often a couple minutes late, often right on time, and rarely quite late (~15-20 minutes). That usually only happens when it has just snowed 4 inches, or rush hour is particularly bad... at least for the routes to Grandview.

Edited by nugget3

There's nothing wrong with living south of Lane in UA. It's generally not very affordable, but there are some apartments in the area that are nice and kind of hidden away. On/between Arlington Ave and Coventry Road.

I think he/she meant North of Lane on High, not UA.

Guys I'm considering OSU and food is quite important to me, so is there ethnic food/market (specifically Vietnamese) available in Columbus? I think I'll keep my car so distance does not matter much, unless it's 30 mins on the highway/freeway.

Guys I'm considering OSU and food is quite important to me, so is there ethnic food/market (specifically Vietnamese) available in Columbus? I think I'll keep my car so distance does not matter much, unless it's 30 mins on the highway/freeway.

The Asian market I go to every week is CAM on Bethel Rd. From my house in Grandview, it's maybe a 15-minute drive. I do believe they have Vietnamese food items - they definitely have Chinese, Japanese, Korean, some Indian... It's a huge store, with a big selection! I've heard there are other (smaller) Asian markets, but I haven't visited any yet. There are also some Mediterranean food import stores with wide selections of olive oils, feta cheese, spices, and olives, among other things. I doubt anything would be too hard to find here! You could maybe call a store and ask if they have something specific.

Former OSU student here, I can totally vouch for the reliability of COTA, especially the 2. Back in 2010, I took the 2 almost everyday from campus to my internship (about two or three miles from German Village) and the trip never took more than 20 minutes and I never waited more than five or ten minutes for each bus. Just put on your headphones or read a book, ignore the smells, and you'll be to campus/home in no time. Also, to the person who said it could take a while to get from a bus stop to whatever building you're going to be in--exactly right. There are about three stops that scratch the surface of campus (all along High, one every three blocks or so), but if you're going to be back toward West campus (i.e.: near the stadium), it's probably another twelve or so minute walk. Just something to keep in mind.

OK, I'm interested to know more about Upper Arlington area. Turns out it's very close to the lab, on Kinnear Road, I'm supposed to be working in.

Any info on rent comparison, proximity to decent grocery stores, the kind of people that live there, number of grad students there, etc. would be appreciated.

I think North Campus (officially called Old North Columbus) is a great area. There seem to be many more grad students on this side of campus. East campus is very frat-heavy, south campus is kind of mixed but also probably undergrad-heavy. Old North is also really making a comeback as the nice neighborhood, because South campus is getting very shady very quickly. So there's lots of cafes and bars and a cupcake shop along high street north of Lane and south of Hudson-ish. Also a great up-and-coming neighborhood is Clintonville, which is just a bit north of Old North.

The other good area for grad students is Grandview, although it's not walking distance (and not near your lab). It's the area directly northwest of OSU campus (across the river) and there are LOTS of fun things to do in Grandview (bars, cafes, there's a candle-making shop where you can make candles).

Victorian Village is gorgeous but very expensive. Also, the periphery of VV is not very nice, and getting less-nice by the week. Same for Short North, and I wouldn't live south of King until approx 2nd-ish. That area in between has been really falling apart (boarded up houses, lots of creeps at night).

On 4/6/2014 at 10:02 AM, CHM GIRL said:

I have a pet. Therefore, I need a pet friendly apartment. I am specfically looking at complexes. Any recommendations?

If you're willing to live in Upper Arlington, try Fox and Hounds. I got an apartment with them pretty easily as an out-of-tower and plenty of dog owners there.

• 8 months later...

Landlord recommendations?  Just wondering who to avoid and what to look for in my apartment/house search!

I don't have anybody in particular to recommend, but I will suggest that you avoid Olentangy Commons. That's where I currently live, and while you do get a decent amount of space for the amount of money you pay, their maintenance is quite poor. I'm planning to move as soon as my lease is up.

Edited by toasterazzi

• 1 month later...
Guest HEPhD13

Does anyone have thoughts on a location that is good for grads but also bike friendly when commuting to campus? I don't have a car and want to start off biking until I save up enough for a vehicle. Thanks!

Greetings!  

I am considering OSU, but I have a family (hubby and 5y/o daughter).  Any advice for where we might live?  We are in Cincinnati now.  Is it harder making connections than when you are unattached :) ?

Greetings!  

I am considering OSU, but I have a family (hubby and 5y/o daughter).  Any advice for where we might live?  We are in Cincinnati now.  Is it harder making connections than when you are unattached :) ?

There are lots of great schools and communities within close range of OSU! Try Upper Arlington and Grandview first. Farther away there is Dublin, Worthington, Bexley, and many, many other great places.

I will be finishing my undergrad at OSU this semester - I have lived in Columbus for the past 3.5 years, and in Ohio for my entire life (minus summers out of state for the past 2 years). Feel free to PM me if you have questions. It's worth noting that I know nothing about the "party life" at OSU so if you want info on that or the LGBT status of Columbus I am not the person to ask since I simply don't know.

I agree with iphi - a lot of those suburbs are very nice. Depending on how much you're willing to spend there are very nice areas to live in close to Columbus. I currently live in an apartment in Upper Arlington and the commute is definitely tolerable.

• 2 months later...

Hi, everybody. 

I am moving to Columbus for PhD this fall. I am searching for apts right now. 

Does anybody know anything about Colony Square Apts? It's pretty close to the school, so I am afraid it's full of undergrad students and partying 24/7. Does anybody have specific recommendations? I am looking into apt complex with management office, since I won't be able to visit before I move in (I am living in New Jersey right now). Like what most grad students prefer, I prefer quite apts that's not too far from the city/night life/fun etc. But, I don't want to live surrounded by undergrads/frats partying all day. Any suggestions? 

Thanks guys! 

will you have a car? It's a bit far to walk. I know of the place you're talking about. General rule of thumb for quietness: West campus is quieter than north campus is quieter than south campus is quieter than east of high on south campus.

So if you want quiet and want to avoid undergrads, west of the olentangy river (including colony club) is the best way to go.

I don't know what it's like to live in colony club, but it looks like an average apartment.

I am currently living in Runaway Bay apartments which is a bit farther, I drive in every day. It has been very quiet, especially compared to when I lived on north campus last year.

Hello everyone,

I have recently accepted an offer to attend graduate school at the Ohio State University starting in the fall. I have been searching for apartments in neighboring towns to Columbus, OH like Clintonville, Grandview, Victorian Village, German Village, Worthington, etc since my research found that these were the best neighborhoods to live in. However I am finding it difficult to find an apartment complex with a decent approval rating. I have found many places within my price range (less than $650 a month) but there are always a bunch of really negative comments about the place and low approval ratings.

Does anyone have any suggestions for apartment complexes that they have lived in or know someone who has and that they would recommend for a graduate student to live in? 

Thank you!

On 4/13/2015 at 6:43 AM, doomination said:

will you have a car? It's a bit far to walk. I know of the place you're talking about. General rule of thumb for quietness: West campus is quieter than north campus is quieter than south campus is quieter than east of high on south campus.

So if you want quiet and want to avoid undergrads, west of the olentangy river (including colony club) is the best way to go.

I don't know what it's like to live in colony club, but it looks like an average apartment.

I am currently living in Runaway Bay apartments which is a bit farther, I drive in every day. It has been very quiet, especially compared to when I lived on north campus last year.

Yeah I will have a car. Having said that commuting won't be a problem. I guess it would be nice to live close enough to walk, but then distance is not in the top priority for me (def something I consider though when I am searching for the apts). 

Thanks for you tip.

How is the neighborhood right under the west campus (around northwest blvd where kroger is located)?

Edited by JY_Lou

• 1 month later...

Quick question: what documents to you need when renting an apartment.  I am planning to take a trip to Columbus in about two weeks and hopefully lease an apartment.  How do you show your proof of income to the landlord when you don't have any pay stubs yet?  Also, if your stipend is, say, about $2000, will they rent you an apartment/townhouse for say $800-$900?

It really just depends on the landlord. A lot of times, in my experience at least, they don't actually require actual proof of paystubs or whatever. You just have to put down the amount on the application. Additionally, some applications are really detailed and might want you to include like a copy of your ID or whatever, but some others just want your most basic info. Generally, they'll run a credit check so they'll know if you have a decent track record. And if your credit score isn't where they'd like it to be, they might request that you get a cosigner. When my husband and I moved here last June, we had some savings, but neither of us had a job lined up yet, and they knew I wouldn't be getting my stipend until August. We were still able to rent a place in the range you're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be starting at OSU this coming fall. I saw a lot of people talking about Clintonville and Grandview as two most popular places to live in Columbus. What are the pros and cons of each community? How are they different? I personally would to live in a quiet, safe community with convenient public transportation to campus. Any advice? Thank you so much in advance!

I was in Columbus for three days trying to find an apartment and here is what I found out:

1. Rent can be fairly cheap as in two bdrm for 500 all the way to about 1200 per month.

2. From what I have seen, avoid areas south of the city. If you can't find anything on campus, look at areas north of the city, and better yet, north west.

3. The city is big. Driving 14 miles from point to point is fairly common. Fortunately, traffic is light and it only takes 20 minutes basically from the farthest two points in the city.

4. Landlords/real estate want your income to be around 3 times the rend cost.

5. I rented a 2 bdrm townhouse for $650 in an area near westerville. The place is nice.

6. Utilities cost. Obviously it depends on usage. But here are some numbers: water is about 80 to 100! If your heat and cooking is gas, expect 100 in the summer and 200 in the winter. If everything is electric, including heat, expect 100 in the summer and 200 to 300 in the winter.

In other words, if possible choose gas heating. In fact someone told me that in order to keep a three bdrm single house warm in the winter using electricity, it may cost 500 to 700 per month. I guess if you have an apartment, this is not a big issue.

7. I estimated that for every mile you live closer to campus, you can save $10 per month in car usage...so you can pay 10 dollars more in rent and still have the same net cost + convenience.