yin-bodhi

Columbus, OH

There are a lot of Muslims in Columbus - we have the second largest Muslim community in the country

There are a lot of Muslims in Columbus - we have the second largest Muslim community in the country

Source?

I've never heard this statistic. I"ve heard that we have the second largest Somali population who are majority muslim, but I've never heard this.

Great! Coming from the DC area, I was wondering what Columbus' ethnic food options would be like. Looks like I don't have to worry. Thanks Geekgrl!

On a serious note, coming from DC and being from NY/NJ area, there's no way Columbus has the 2nd largest Muslim population in the country. Once you factor in Chicago, LA, Detroit/Dearborn, etc., I doubt its even close.

Clintonville is a good area, but you might have some trouble finding affordable houses for sale as a lot of the houses are rental properties or still full of yuppie baby boomers. I would suggest the Bethel/Henderson road area as well, especially around the Kenny rd intersection. I'm not sure what the name of this area actually is; I've always just heard it referred to by the street names! A lot of the people who live in this area are grad students/upper classmen or recently graduated and there are quite a few condos for sale. I think this would be your best bet. Just about anywhere off of those two roads are safe areas, but the closer you are to Kenny or 315, the easier your commute will be.

You may be able to find some houses on "campus" which is basically the square created by 11th to the south, 4th to the east, Hudson to the north, and 315 to the west. I would question your Realtor about how easily you'd be able to sell after you graduate, as you would almost definitely not want to live here if you didn't have to. It's not particularly dangerous, but is full of kids and other people who would be attracted to rent targeted at students.

For any other incoming students reading this, there are plenty more safe options to rent in Columbus, but buying might be more of a hassle.

Thanks for the information. I've started checking out the Bethel/Henderson area and like what I've seen so far. If I was looking for condos instead of a home, would you be able to recommend any other areas? Thanks again.

Hi! I'll be moving down in the fall. Any opinions on University Village? Is it mostly grad students or undergrads?

Hi,

I asked my BF about this complex the other day (he did undergrad at OSU). He said it was full of undergrads, and is basically a 24 hour party.

Thanks for the information. I've started checking out the Bethel/Henderson area and like what I've seen so far. If I was looking for condos instead of a home, would you be able to recommend any other areas? Thanks again.

Downtown may be a good possibility? The City pushed for a ton of condos to be built in the downtown area but a good number are still vacant, so the prices have come down. You can difinitely find something under 200,000 and I did a quick search and found a one bedroom condo for 113,000. Downtown is a very easy drive to OSU about 10 - 15. This would double during evening rush hour, from about 5-6 PM but I've never had trouble getting around any other time of the day. Except game days of course, but then you'll even have trouble WALKING to OSU. Oh! you should also be able to take the bus from here. Big plus.

Sawmill is another idea, it's kinda like a slightly older (people wise, newer buildings) extention of the bethel/henderson area, but your commute will be longer. I don't think I've ever made this drive so I can't say for certain, but during the weekday it would be atleast 20 min. Probably more like 30+ during rush hour.

Anywhere else in Columbus and I think you'll really have to extend your commute. There may be stuff on the southwest side, around the frank road area but to be honest I'm not so familar with this side of town. I know they put up a bunch of housing right before the recession but before that this area was much more indrustrial. Still kinda smells weird, but you can get a house under 100,000. This area is a lot more working class/lower middle class and has a bit of sprawl, so may not be fun for a grad student.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent realtors around the OSU area. I would love to live within a walking distance of campus (<1.5 miles) and feel completely lost in this housing search. I have heard to stay away from Buckeye Real Estate but are there any realtors that anyone has had fabulous experience with and could recommend?

I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent realtors around the OSU area. I would love to live within a walking distance of campus (<1.5 miles) and feel completely lost in this housing search. I have heard to stay away from Buckeye Real Estate but are there any realtors that anyone has had fabulous experience with and could recommend?

Not really, unfortunately. MOST campus realtors are terrible. They charge ridiculous rent to live in housing that is often not quite up to code. They get away with it because most student's don't know any better. On the other hand, a lot of the properties are in disrepair because student's don't take good care of them!

For good or for bad, there really isn't any way you can make sure you don't get screwed over by a Landlord. I would look for properties based on your preferences (location in this case) and based on what you can afford. Of course, try to avoid realtor's whose tenants have had to put the rent into escrow a bunch of times/eviction happy landlords (you can check this out on the clerk of courts website) but this doesn't mean you'll like your apartment. Worst case scenario, you move in a year.

I would suggest that you try to find the nicest apartment in the nicest area you can afford. Hopefully, this will mean that the lanldlords care about their property and a landlord that cares about their property is really the best you can ask for. Perhaps you could focus on realtors that have campus property, but aren't exclusively campus based. These might not be as unscrupulous towards students.

I will be moving from Tennessee to attend OSU for grad school in the fall as well. I've been looking at the Royal Neil Apartments. At the intersection of Neil Rd and Doldridge Ave. The apartment is reasonably priced and appears to be in great condition. The management team seems to be on top of things as far as communitcating with me. My only concern is the area. I don't neccessarily want to live in the heart of undergraduate life but I also don't want to move to far out as exploring the city of Columbus will be an adventure within itself for me. Is this area (Neil and Doldridge) okay?

I will be moving from Tennessee to attend OSU for grad school in the fall as well. I've been looking at the Royal Neil Apartments. At the intersection of Neil Rd and Doldridge Ave. The apartment is reasonably priced and appears to be in great condition. The management team seems to be on top of things as far as communitcating with me. My only concern is the area. I don't neccessarily want to live in the heart of undergraduate life but I also don't want to move to far out as exploring the city of Columbus will be an adventure within itself for me. Is this area (Neil and Doldridge) okay?

I used two websites Family Watch Dog and Spot Crime (I think those were their names?) to check out the areas. You would be surprised how quickly an area goes from nice to spotty so I would Google Map it and use websites like those to check it out if you can't see it. (Also I have no idea about the area - will be new so I have no advice on that. Hopefully it is pretty safe!)

A question to those of you from Columbus: how bikeable is it? I am thinking about just biking to class since I am looking at places in that awkward distance where driving is sort of silly (considering the parking passes I can afford are pretty far from my building) but walking might get tedious every day. (The 1.5-2 mile range so fairly quick trip via bike.)

This area should be fine. There are a ton of shops and grocery stores in this area (as well as a bus line, if you need it) so this is a pretty good place to start if you aren't familar with the city. Also, its decently north of campus, so you shouldn't get completely swamped with undergraduates either!

A question to those of you from Columbus: how bikeable is it? I am thinking about just biking to class since I am looking at places in that awkward distance where driving is sort of silly (considering the parking passes I can afford are pretty far from my building) but walking might get tedious every day. (The 1.5-2 mile range so fairly quick trip via bike.)

Certain parts of Columbus are very bike friendly, others are not. There is a bike path that runs north and south of campus along the Olentangy River and then meets up with other bike paths in the area along the way. That's the prettier way. High St. itself also has a bike lane (multi-use, I guess; it's also the bus lane and sometimes there are cars in it) that I've never had any problems with. Biking from west of campus would probably be more difficult, as I don't think that many of those areas are as bike-friendly. If you are along High St., though, you should have no problems. Also keep in mind that as a grad. student at OSU you have to pay a mandatory fee that includes a bus pass, so you can always hop on that whenever you want, too.

Bumping this with my own inquiries...

Has anyone ever lived at Village West in Victorian Village & have a thought on it? Or do you have any recommended housing suggestions (2 br & cat-friendly) on Thurber/in that general vicinity?

Does anyone know anything about OSU's College of Social Work (particularly the MSW)? I seriously have not been able to find forum opinions on it through any forum, but it's ranked 30th in the nation & is the best public Ohio social work option (in terms of rankings), but I wish I could get student input or anything.

Victorian Village and Harrison West are both really nice areas, though a little expensive sometimes (i.e., I pay ~$650/month including utilities for a beautiful, huge apartment in Clintonville, which is actually closer to campus than many Vic Village/HW apartments, while friends have paid >$650/month not including utilities for really small/not as nice places in those neighborhoods). That said, it's beautiful, quiet, safe, and relatively convenient.

Hi everyone! I am looking for 1-bd apartment near campus. Although have been here for half a year, I still have no idea where to live....

My lab would be around med center so I'd like to live around south ( I don't like driving, but biking is okay :) ) I would live alone so security and peaceful is my top concern. That's why I have hesitation for apartments on Neil.... Also, I can't afford expensive ones...poor stipends :wacko:

So, my concerns are

1. Safe

2. convenient

3. quiet (especially in the night...)

4. cheap or not expensive...

Really want your advice guys! :)

Are most of the apartments in Columbus unfurnished? I would like to live in the victorian village or short north, but coming from undergrad where all of my apartments are fully furnished, i wouldn't have any furniture.

Furniture's honestly not that bad to acquire. I think I found a couple places that are fully furnished, but they were uber-expensive. I'll edit with the links for those later.

Are most of the apartments in Columbus unfurnished? I would like to live in the victorian village or short north, but coming from undergrad where all of my apartments are fully furnished, i wouldn't have any furniture.

http://www.commonsosu.com/floorPlansInfo.php?id=120#

The other one I was thinking of was called... The Abigail, I believe? I don't know that those are fully furnished, now that I'm trying to find the listing again. You'd still probably do better getting basic furniture though - moving would suck, but living in an apt with only 400 sq ft (if you lived alone) sounds less appealing for the price. Craigslist can be a good source for basic things (not mattresses).

I just got an offer OSU and would appreciate any feedback (recent) on good neighbourhoods to live in. I will probbaly accept the offer.

I'm looking to bring my fiancee with me who will be actively looking for work but may not get any for the first year so will support out of stipend (and savings if need be). We currently live in <500 sq.ft so used ot that sort of thing. I need cheap (under 600$ - around 600ish is ok if all utilities are included) in a safe place that is commutable (at least public transit) to OSU. I don't really know much about COlumbus: all I know is that Victorian Village and Short North seem to be safe places, walkable and close to OSU.

Where should I be looking? What should I avoid?

Many thanks!

Does anyone have feedback about on-campus graduate housing?

A quick look at Google Maps shows that grad housing on Neil Avenue is fairly close to the History department at Dulles Hall, which is what I'm looking for. I really don't mind ugly, cramped apartments but I'd rather not deal with any silly curfews and restrictions that tends to come with campus housing. I've read through the leasing terms and conditions, and so far haven't been scared away. So does anyone have experiences/advice/warnings they could share? Thank you!

Edited by archer