Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2010-2011

LisaRog

Some new info: The reps have been asked to send along the materials for the "selected" candidates...

This makes me so happy and so anxious at the same time. Happy because I *would* have gotten a grant. Anxious because what is happening in my country right now makes me certain I will soon be disqualified from this offer. :(

..... was "this close," too. shucks.

Edited by nescafe

What country? I feel for you. You're done with comps, proposals, getting research permissions and partners abroad, and you have a great proposal, and this happens.

Good luck, and try to stay positive. I know that's a cliche, but in this case what else can you do?

This makes me so happy and so anxious at the same time. Happy because I *would* have gotten a grant. Anxious because what is happening in my country right now makes me certain I will soon be disqualified from this offer. :(

..... was "this close," too. shucks.

My guess would be probably, yes. But, you know people take vacations, etc. so it might be good to contact the coordinator to verify status.

Could one assume by now that if they haven't heard from their Fulbright coordinator about having their application passed on, then they weren't passed on?

Definitely contact your rep, especially if you got above a 95. I don't think my rep has let everyone know yet.

Also, IIE might not consider applicants who have received funding from other sources for the same project.

My guess would be probably, yes. But, you know people take vacations, etc. so it might be good to contact the coordinator to verify status.

Interesting. Is that something we have to inform them of individually?

Definitely contact your rep, especially if you got above a 95. I don't think my rep has let everyone know yet.

Also, IIE might not consider applicants who have received funding from other sources for the same project.

I contacted my campus reps, and they still say that they haven't heard anything about informing students who were passed along to Mellon. Now, this could simply be because none of the applicants from my university would have been F-H award recipients. What they say is that students who were selected for F-H funding would have been passed along to Mellon "automatically" without any action on their part. But some of the comments above on this thread suggest that the campus coordinators did indeed have to pass along the applications, that is, it wasn't automatic.

Anyway. I think the basic conclusion for me, personally, is that since I haven't heard anything about my application in particular, then I probably wasn't passed along to Mellon. My scores were 97 & 92, I think, so I'm close but probably not high enough.

So, how did you all get your scores? I never heard back at all. I wrote my coordinator about it, but she hasn't gotten back to me (vacation maybe? but she is super flaky). Anyway, are we supposed to get them through the school or directly in the mail or what? I would like the feed back so I can do a better job next time.

Thanks.

I imagine the Fulbright IIE would be the only conflict, yes?

Well, I don't think there would be a conflict in consideration, but once the award offer is made you would have to choose one or the other. (e.g. not both--- same as the original Fulbright Hays). I'm not sure whether the "conflict" ya'll are discussing is in the considerations period or the grant period.

I contacted my campus reps, and they still say that they haven't heard anything about informing students who were passed along to Mellon. Now, this could simply be because none of the applicants from my university would have been F-H award recipients. What they say is that students who were selected for F-H funding would have been passed along to Mellon "automatically" without any action on their part. But some of the comments above on this thread suggest that the campus coordinators did indeed have to pass along the applications, that is, it wasn't automatic.

Anyway. I think the basic conclusion for me, personally, is that since I haven't heard anything about my application in particular, then I probably wasn't passed along to Mellon. My scores were 97 & 92, I think, so I'm close but probably not high enough.

I actually had to locate and resend my DDRA Application (the PDF version) to my FPA to be passed along again. To my knowledge, I am the only one who has had to do this though.

What happened for us is that the Fulbright contact (an associate dean) let us know 3-4 weeks ago that he had received the evaluations from the reviewers, and if we wanted to look at the reviews we could request a copy from his office.

Then last week he contacted me personally and asked my permission to send my materials to the Mellon folks, as they had requested them specifically. It seemed as though he needed to have my permission to do this. I don't know if this was his own personal judgment or if it's Mellon policy, but in my case my application definitely would NOT have been passed on automatically.

I actually had to locate and resend my DDRA Application (the PDF version) to my FPA to be passed along again. To my knowledge, I am the only one who has had to do this though.

I also had to give permission to have my FPA forward my materials to Mellon. Not sure whether permission is always necessary, but I'm pretty sure that there is no automatic forwarding and the FPA has to send the materials.

So, how did you all get your scores? I never heard back at all. I wrote my coordinator about it, but she hasn't gotten back to me (vacation maybe? but she is super flaky). Anyway, are we supposed to get them through the school or directly in the mail or what? I would like the feed back so I can do a better job next time.

Thanks.

I got my scores, which included written comments, from the Fulbright person here on campus. The Fulbright Hays people released them at least 3-4 weeks ago. You may want to email your coordinator again and have them hunt your evaluations.

My scores were 96 and 99 and I haven't received word from my coordinator about forwarding my materials. When she e-mailed us about the Mellon news, she said she'd let us know as soon as she got any other info, so I'm assuming I'm not being considered. Although my project is more humanities focused, I was under the impression we needed to score over 100 to be competitive. I'll post if anything changes, but I'm not holding my breath on this.

Edited by zengazenga

My scores were 103 and 105, so an average of 104. Judging from what a number of people have said in this forum, I would--or perhaps even should--have been awarded a Fulbright-Hays (in normal times, of course). In the same line of thought, I guess my application materials should be transferred over to the Mellon folks, at least for further review. However, I have not heard anything from my campus F-H representative to that effect. What could this mean? any thoughts? About the only thing that I could think of is that perhaps my application is not considered "humanities" enough (being a poli sci; but I do have a lot of area studies focus and critical language and ethnography components).

Also, those of you who were contacted by your representatives requesting your permission to (re)transmit your application materials to the Mellon committee, would you mind sharing with us what were the kinds of scores that received such a request? I just want to get a feel for what these scores mean for this one-time Mellon awards.

thanks for your thoughts!

One factor might be the competitive priority points. If an application received 5 competitive priority points from the DDRA for being in the fields of Environmental Science, Economics, Public Health, Education, or Political Science, these points might not "count" for Mellon since they focus on the Humanities. Just a guess.

My scores were 103 and 105, so an average of 104. Judging from what a number of people have said in this forum, I would--or perhaps even should--have been awarded a Fulbright-Hays (in normal times, of course). In the same line of thought, I guess my application materials should be transferred over to the Mellon folks, at least for further review. However, I have not heard anything from my campus F-H representative to that effect. What could this mean? any thoughts? About the only thing that I could think of is that perhaps my application is not considered "humanities" enough (being a poli sci; but I do have a lot of area studies focus and critical language and ethnography components).

Also, those of you who were contacted by your representatives requesting your permission to (re)transmit your application materials to the Mellon committee, would you mind sharing with us what were the kinds of scores that received such a request? I just want to get a feel for what these scores mean for this one-time Mellon awards.

thanks for your thoughts!

Today I contacted the iie office regarding the fellowship notifications and they said that they will notify students early next week latest. Fingers crossed!

One factor might be the competitive priority points. If an application received 5 competitive priority points from the DDRA for being in the fields of Environmental Science, Economics, Public Health, Education, or Political Science, these points might not "count" for Mellon since they focus on the Humanities. Just a guess.

I'm sorry to hear that, Laska. It does seem capricious. You obviously deserve to be funded, and it's not fair.

My score was 100, including five bonus points. My application was not "selected" for forwarding to IIE. My topic is anthropology/history.

Who know. Seems capricious.