Experimental sections?

neuropsych76

I've been reading these forums on the GRE and they have been very helpful.

However, I've seen some people say they had an identified experimental section and some say they didn't.

Now that the test is confirmed to change in August, will every experimental section be identified? Will it blatantly state THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL SECTION or do you just have to guess based on the type/number of questions?

Thank you!

However, I've seen some people say they had an identified experimental section and some say they didn't.

Now that the test is confirmed to change in August, will every experimental section be identified? Will it blatantly state THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL SECTION or do you just have to guess based on the type/number of questions?

Thank you!

While you can have an unidentified experimental section or an identified research section, neither of these will count. However, there is sometimes no way to know which unidentified section is real so I would recommend taking everything as if it counts. Hope that helps.

do you seriously only post here to try & get people to click on your GRE website? every post you make just repeats the same info over and over.

I simply try and answer everyone's questions. The fact that similar questions show up repeatedly is a symptom of the fact that people have the same concerns. For that reason we try and develop comprehensive answers to those common questions. I'm sorry that it bothers you, but I am really just trying to be as informative as possible.

Regards,

Taylor

Thank you!

I took it in mid-August (this year) and there was an identified math section. In terms of format, it was very different from the real one and also very different from all the practice tests/questions I did. So even if it weren't identified, I think I would have been able to guess.

I believe a thread from July also touched on the same issue, and maybe I even posted there, so it might be worth it to relook at that. But from what I remember, all my test prep materials AND the gre website (http://ets.org/gre/g.../about/content/) said there would be two exp sections, one identified and one unidentified. For # of questions it says "varies" for both.... rather ambiguous.

short answer: So, uh, maybe. or something.

edit: yeah, it's the thread right below this one about recent GRE experiences. go me.

Edited by katerific

When I took the GRE three years ago, there was an unidentified Quant section - there was no knowing which section of multiple choice questions was the real deal. This time around, my experimental section was identified, and was actually a writing prompt. This resulted in a more relaxed testing session, to say the least :)

But I have no idea what the new test will hold. Is there no note on this on the ETS website? In any case, it's not something you can really worry about, because you have no control anyway.