Should I thank the admissions committee?

I think it would be a waste of precious SoP space actually, in addition to possibly being seen as tacky. If you want to be polite, the time to do that is if/when they interview you - you could send a thank you email then, after the interview.

Edited by newms

I always finished my SOPs with: Thank you for your time and consideration. I think actually my adviser suggested that, but I found it to be neat and respectful. Also I have seen essays which got people into very respectful places that were twice as long as allowed. Not that I am suggesting you should do anything like that but I think you can easily add a few words.

Also I have seen essays which got people into very respectful places that were twice as long as allowed.

Careful. Some online applications will actually truncate your SOP if it is too long. You don't want to end accidentally with "[Z] is the most perfectest place for me to study [Q] becau".

I think it would be a waste of precious SoP space actually, in addition to possibly being seen as tacky. If you want to be polite, the time to do that is if/when they interview you - you could send a thank you email then, after the interview.

THIS, times a million.

I also think it betrays a lack of confidence in yourself. Imagine if the Declaration of Independence ended with "...we pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor. And we thank Your Majesty for considering this humble request."

You really think about SOP as a declaration of independence? I tell you what: you want to belong there. ok well, it is the applicant`s choice clearly. The person who suggested me this is a senior prof who have been on trillions of admission committees. Also I got into several grad programs so this will not bomb your essay. I just always like to be a notch on the polite side if is possible.

p.s. Sparky is right some places will cut your essay ...sorry about my comment... so be careful! Anyway it is not bad to have a sentence you can easily cut, that is my experience .

I didn't thank the committee in my application - I really didn't have the room and it might have seemed like I was trying to count my chickens before they hatched. The last line of my application went something like this: "I am confident that FancyPants University is the right place for me to continue my education and I would be delighted to join the doctoral program in Sociology in the fall."

I did thank professors would agreed to speak and meet with me, though.