Would I Have a Shot?

ThomistToBe

Relevant stats: 

3.7ish UG GPA (received the Philosophy Department’s top graduate award. I don’t want to overstate this, though. I went to a pretty small, largely unheard of LAC)

Attended a top law school and graduated with honors. I also took some grad-level classes with the Philosophy department when I was there (the department is pretty highly ranked—think Cornell, Duke, UChicago) 

I never published or did any TA or RA work or anything. Also no clue how I’d do on the GRE. 

Would I be spinning my wheels applying applying to top programs? Is applying after already completing a JD a pro or con? Does lack of UG prestige hurt my chances? 

2 hours ago, ThomistToBe said:

Relevant stats: 

3.7ish UG GPA (received the Philosophy Department’s top graduate award. I don’t want to overstate this, though. I went to a pretty small, largely unheard of LAC)

Attended a top law school and graduated with honors. I also took some grad-level classes with the Philosophy department when I was there (the department is pretty highly ranked—think Cornell, Duke, UChicago) 

I never published or did any TA or RA work or anything. Also no clue how I’d do on the GRE. 

Would I be spinning my wheels applying applying to top programs? Is applying after already completing a JD a pro or con? Does lack of UG prestige hurt my chances? 

I think what would matter most is the BA in Philosophy with Honors. 

I know people who got into Harvard's PhD in Philosophy having come from obscure public institutions - so do not sweat about it.

Not sure about the JD, but I do not see why it would be a hindrance.

I do know someone with an MBA and an MPP who applied for a PhD - not in Philosophy - and got rejected across the board because it seemed to the admissions committee that the individual was just after another degree. A PhD is a professional program - not an existential one.

You do not need to have TA/TF experience to get into a PhD program,.

If you attended a top law school, I do not see why you would not do at least decently on the GRE. Please note, Harvard's Philosophy Department does not even require it.

In other words, go for it!

Edited by steadygaze108

20 hours ago, ThomistToBe said:

Relevant stats: 

Sounds like you have the academic fundamentals. The key question is do you have the networking done. By that I mean, is one of your letters of recommendations from someone in the field that is a. respected and b. research wise aligned with at least one if not more of the faculty in the dept you are applying to? You can go for broke off if your on paper credentials alone, but a more sure thing on top of that is to make sure someone in the field will vouch for you.

Thank you both for the input. On the networking question, I guess my answer is “kinda, but not really.” My two main UG profs will gladly recommend me, and they both did their graduate work at highly ranked programs. I also have another potential recommender in a peripheral area (legal theory) who has some sway and name-recognition in academia, I think. But overall it’s not like I have someone who can pick up the phone and call any of these programs saying “you need to admit this guy.”