Minneapolis, MN

Guest Guest

Wow, it's great to be able to read so much about Minneapolis on this forum! I'm an international student and will start as a graduate student this fall at UMN. I am, of course, also worried about housing. Smaturins considerations sound pretty much like my own, except I'm not much of a runner and I hope to cycle as much as possible (what can I say, I'm Dutch).

I hope to share a 2 or 3 bedroom appartment as well. It's difficult to find a future housemate and a house, without the option to set foot in the US before I move there. So I really appreciate all the information that's been posted here so far!

• 4 weeks later...

i think i have found my future place to stay! - i know it's a little early, but at least i'm done with the search now. so, feels good.

check this site guys (am sure most of you already know) - www.padmapper.com - shows available housings by their locations, so you can search for areas around the U or uptown or wherever you want to stay.

On 3/19/2011 at 11:33 AM, bhikhaari said:

i think i have found my future place to stay! - i know it's a little early, but at least i'm done with the search now. so, feels good.

Congratulations! I bet that feels great. :)

I'll also admit to being a little envious. I finally figured out what I'm really looking for and have a couple of desired neighborhoods, including one that would be PERFECT. Two days ago, I missed out on a great place in the perfect neighborhood that had everything I wanted, because someone else replied to the ad first. :angry: I'm still disappointed! (You can tell I'm upset because I'm using lots of smilies. ;) Okay, now I'm doing it on purpose. :D )

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread. I was wait listed at at UMinnesota today. Everything I hear about the Twin Cities is great!

It seems public transportation is good, but I'm wondering if you can get by without a car at all.

I'm just finishing up my undergrad in the Twin Cities, and I've gone the whole four years without a car, as have most of my friends. It's definitely doable, but you have to be willing to brave some cold weather by foot or bike, at least to get to and from bus stops. I don't leave the neighborhood around my college as much during the winter because of the cold and inconvenience, but the U has a LOT of shops, bars and restaurants in close proximity, and many bus lines running through the neighborhood, so you won't feel as claustrophobic as we do over here in residential St. Paul. You might also think about looking into a car sharing program such as HourCar. My housemate is a member and it makes life much easier when we want to go grocery shopping, head to IKEA for furniture, etc. Having a bike is also a great option, at least for the warmer months of April-November. This winter has been mild enough that I've biked through the whole season and haven't even had to break out much of the winter gear. Good luck, and enjoy the Twin Cities if you end up here!

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread. I was wait listed at at UMinnesota today. Everything I hear about the Twin Cities is great!

It seems public transportation is good, but I'm wondering if you can get by without a car at all.

Hi there, I went to UMN for my undergrad and while you definitely dont HAVE to have a car, it does make things a bit easier. Getting around within the city or down to the Airport/Mall is easy enough sans car, but you really cant get to the suburbs in anything resembling a quick fashion without one. There aren't really any satellite trains at the moment that go out east, north, or west. But, usually everyone knows SOMEONE with a car, and we tend to be pretty friendly about ride-sharing.

Hello all! I'm currently looking to move to Minneapolis in June and wanted to know about Near north. The area im looking at specifically is Old Highland. What are your thoughts? Is it really as dangerous as North mn? There are some really beautiful and relatively cheap apartments here that seem to outweigh anything I can find in uptown or dinkytown. http://www.oldhighland.org/

I've also seen the Arts institute apartments but I emailed 3 times and no word back! Also, I found a crime map that said Whittier is about the same as near north in crime.

Anyone know of how these measure up?

I've got a quick question about housing as well.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to UMN this fall, and I'm ideally hoping to save some money on rent by finding a roommate or two. In the city where I'm at now (which is much more of a college town I guess) it's easy to find roommates on Craigslist, etc. I'm not finding that to be the case at UMN. I glanced over the MN Daily newspapers but for some reason most of the ads seemed to be for nearby colleges... Does anyone know of other sites out there that might be helpful?

If anyone here is looking to save some money and split rent next fall, let me know. B)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2011 at 11:07 AM, GingerMoneypenny said:

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the University Village apartments?

Haven't lived there but had friends that have. The location is good, near campus, food, bus lines and the stadium. It will be mainly undergrads through, half of it is run by the res halls so there are C.A.s.

Went to the U for undergrad - lived in Minneapolis, without a car, and also lived the commuter life living in the suburbs driving to campus. Up for answering any questions.

The Twin Cities are fantastic. :)

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know any information about the following buildings:

University Commons

Stadium View

Keeler Apartments

I was almost seting up a deal to University Commons, however, as I am international student, they asked for a 3 month securiti deposit. So, I considered awful to pay a huge amount of money without seeing the place before. Then, I am here asking specifically about this place, to know if the place pays off this huge security deposit.

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

I live in Minnesota and with any luck will be moving to Minneapolis to attend the U of M next fall. Regardless of the outcome of my application, I am going to move to Minneapolis--or St. Paul (which together make up the Twin Cities). I'm moving there because I do not want to own a vehicle and the city has a fantastic mass transit system. As well, Minneapolis ranks as the most bike friendly city in the country, even surpassing Portland (although Portland is a great place to live too). The city boasts a vibrant arts and cultural heritage scene, and there are over 4,000 nonprofit organizations that operate in the area. The Twin Cities gets a bad rap because of the cold winters, but it's not as bad as it seems. There are skyways in the downtown area which connect the major buildings so you don't have to go outside. But then again there are things called hats and gloves, too! Overall, Minneapolis is conducive to my lifestyle, and I'm assuming if you are reading this post you have similar interests. I think there is a growing number of people who, like myself, despise the idea of living in suburbia and being dependent on the personal automobile.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an acceptance from here and considering visiting in February. Anyone still at the University can tell me where I should go or visit while I am there? I will probably only be there for a weekend or 2-3 days.

Anyone else got accepted who wants to hang out? I promise I am normal. :)

I just got an acceptance from here and considering visiting in February. Anyone still at the University can tell me where I should go or visit while I am there? I will probably only be there for a weekend or 2-3 days.

Anyone else got accepted who wants to hang out? I promise I am normal. :)

Well, it looks like the Minneapolis thread has been largely abandoned, so as a native of the area I'll jump in and answer your question.  Please do come visit the Twin Cities; I've lived other places around the country and the world, and it's in general great to live here.  The climate is the main drawback.  It's freaking cold today.  We have cold weather from about November to March, and relatively hot and humid weather June-August.

Dinkytown is the main undergraduate "ghetto" -- definitely worth a look for the business district around 4th and 14th, but don't rent an apartment there unless you want to listen to other people's partying all night, especially on the weekends.  If I am not mistaken, Bob Dylan lived in what became the Loring Pasta Bar, which you can still see (and is a very good place for dinner.)  Most grad students either live in NE Mpls (north, and to the east of the river) or in South/Uptown.  

I would say you should get to the MIA and the Walker if you like art.  Pick up a Citypages or a VitaMN at a cafe and see what's going on.  The Minneapolis theater scene is famous, but I still haven't really scratched the surface.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Do you know what a decent price for rent would be? I was accepted to U of Minn with a rather small stipend (25% assistantship) and am doing some research into whether or not I could make it work.

Well, my studio in Dinkytown a few years ago was about 575 or 600.  I've been living with family since then.  I would think you could get a one bedroom in the 700 range.  PM me if you want to bounce neighborhoods/addresses off me.  Though everyone has different ideas about safety (and I am male, FWIW.)

Edited by Illusio80

I currently live in Minneapolis, lived in MN my whole life, and went to the U of M: Twin Cities for undergrad. If anyone wants a direct contact for questions and stuff, please feel free to message me! I'd love to help however I can.

On 1/13/2013 at 10:13 PM, Illusio80 said:

Well, it looks like the Minneapolis thread has been largely abandoned, so as a native of the area I'll jump in and answer your question.  Please do come visit the Twin Cities; I've lived other places around the country and the world, and it's in general great to live here.  The climate is the main drawback.  It's freaking cold today.  We have cold weather from about November to March, and relatively hot and humid weather June-August.

Dinkytown is the main undergraduate "ghetto" -- definitely worth a look for the business district around 4th and 14th, but don't rent an apartment there unless you want to listen to other people's partying all night, especially on the weekends.  If I am not mistaken, Bob Dylan lived in what became the Loring Pasta Bar, which you can still see (and is a very good place for dinner.)  Most grad students either live in NE Mpls (north, and to the east of the river) or in South/Uptown.  

I would say you should get to the MIA and the Walker if you like art.  Pick up a Citypages or a VitaMN at a cafe and see what's going on.  The Minneapolis theater scene is famous, but I still haven't really scratched the surface.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Yeah. If you're okay with taking a bus to school (the school has a great discounted bus pass), you can find similarly priced housing in Uptown, Loring Park, and NE away from undergrads. It's nice to get away. :)

On 12/28/2011 at 11:07 AM, GingerMoneypenny said:

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the University Village apartments?

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to reply for future reference.

I lived there for two years. Not the best experience in the world. It's very much an undergrad place to be and the road (University) is kind of always a disaster, so it's loud at night.

There are a lot of other apartments and whatnot in the area off of busy roads that I suggest checking out first.

I've lived in Minneapolis and Saint Paul for a few years (2004-2006, 2008-present) for work and school and did quite a bit of research on Minneapolis/St. Paul crime statistics, police response time, et cetera.

Minneapolis has crime statistics and reports here. The police average response time for priority 911 calls is abysmal at about 8 minutes (found here, where you can also select by precinct). St. Paul annual reports and crime reports are here.

Saint Paul has monthly crime maps here. Choose month or year, crime maps are under the Police folder.

Spotcrime.com has listings of neighborhood crime maps, too, like this one for Saint Paul. The nice thing about spotcrime.com is that you can "grab" and move the map around like at Google Maps and get a clear overview of the types of crimes in a particular neighborhood. Even a few streets over can make a big difference in crime rates and types. Neighborhoodscout.com offers similar services; here's their mapping for Saint Paul.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but when U of MN students purchase the UPass 24/7365 bus pass, we are guaranteed a ride home, even if busses are on night-route/ no route when we need transportation. If you have a car, rent a place, and have street parking, be forewarned- in the snowy season (December-Feb/March) cities may issue Snow Emergencies. During a snow emergency, parking is restricted to certain sides or directions of streets for plows to successfully clear streets. The cities WILL tow cars... If you want to receive a notice on your cell phone, I think both Minneapolis and Saint Paul offer that option from their respective websites.

Last, city-data.com offers an increasing amount of data on cities, from income and age demographics to crime rates measured against the national crime rates to days of sunshine, rain/snowfall and average temperatures.

Hope that helps.

Kiera

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, such very helpful information. I am sort of attached to my car and was worried about taking it with me. I probably might still for late nights. YOU NEVER KNOW!

I am woman looking to live alone (bad experiences with roommates) so there are issues of safety and such that I worry about. I am mostly worried about access to food and the gym---I am an active meditator.

Edited by iampheng

How dog-friendly are the Twin Cities? Would I have a hard time finding an apartment with two dogs (one beagle, one small terrier) that is also relatively close to the school or a bus line (I have no car)?

I don't have first hand experience finding an apartment with a pet, but I think you should be able to find something.  Try looking around on Craigslist a bit.  Also, familiarize yourself with Metro Transit, especially their express lines to the U.  I'm sure there at least a couple from the area casually known as Uptown, which is everything west of Lyndale, south of Franklin, and down to the Lake Harriet area.  Lots of grad students live in this area.  There are also buses from Northeast Minneapolis, which is another good option.  Dinkytown, Prospect Park, and Southeast Como are pretty undergrad, so beware.  There are some caveats further up this thread about certain landlords, about which I have no direct experience.

Actually, looking at your program, you are probably on the Saint Paul campus.  Living in Saint Paul is nice (I'm biased) and will save you money.  Just look for apartments near campus in Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, or Roseville.

EDIT:  the 3 and the 61 go near the Saint Paul campus, not sure about any others.  I don't think the 61 runs on weekends, but the 3 runs all the time.  Saint Anthony Park would be a very nice neighborhood to check out.

Edited by Illusio80

I don't have first hand experience finding an apartment with a pet, but I think you should be able to find something.  Try looking around on Craigslist a bit.  Also, familiarize yourself with Metro Transit, especially their express lines to the U.  I'm sure there at least a couple from the area casually known as Uptown, which is everything west of Lyndale, south of Franklin, and down to the Lake Harriet area.  Lots of grad students live in this area.  There are also buses from Northeast Minneapolis, which is another good option.  Dinkytown, Prospect Park, and Southeast Como are pretty undergrad, so beware.  There are some caveats further up this thread about certain landlords, about which I have no direct experience.

Actually, looking at your program, you are probably on the Saint Paul campus.  Living in Saint Paul is nice (I'm biased) and will save you money.  Just look for apartments near campus in Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, or Roseville.

EDIT:  the 3 and the 61 go near the Saint Paul campus, not sure about any others.  I don't think the 61 runs on weekends, but the 3 runs all the time.  Saint Anthony Park would be a very nice neighborhood to check out.

Thank you for the information! I will be visiting soon, and planned to explore the area (with an eye towards potential future living arrangements) in my free time. Being able to focus my search more finely will help a lot!

I'm an International student and will be entering graduate school in fall. I was wondering when i should start making 

decisions about accommodation. When is the best time to start looking for housing? 

Thanks in advance! 

Generally speaking, sooner rather than later. If you're looking at living in the Twin Cities area, now would be a good time to start looking for housing. Many places may not know their exact availability yet (assuming you won't be moving in until fall semester starts) but they can put you on a wait list, which is probably a good idea. These wait lists generally fill up quick, especially in housing around the University. So you want to get on one early to have the best shot at getting good housing. 

@ Lycidas - Thank you for that.  Do you have suggestions about how I can start looking at housing options near the University? From 3 continents away it seems a bit daunting and I'm at a loss! Are there specific websites that I can look at? I have been going through this forum to get an idea of the neighbourhoods I should be looking at. 

I have another general question -

How tough are the winters? It is impossible to even go outdoors? What  people usually do to cope with the harsh climate? To what extent is 'quality of life' affected by the long winters? 

(It is probably obvious from my questions that I am someone who has never experienced sub-zero temperatures!)