Too many schools?

cquin

I'm applying for my PhD in English lit, and have a list of eight schools. When it comes to asking professors for letters of recommendation, does eight seem like too high of a number? I know that most professors reuse the same template for their LoR, but I worry that it will be inconvenient for them to submit eight times. Should I cut back on one or two schools?

I'm applying for my PhD in English lit, and have a list of eight schools. When it comes to asking professors for letters of recommendation, does eight seem like too high of a number? I know that most professors reuse the same template for their LoR, but I worry that it will be inconvenient for them to submit eight times. Should I cut back on one or two schools?

A person asked here some time ago if 15 schools is fine (for the same reason) and people told him that it's ok :)

Eight is definetely fine. Professors can use the same templates and the same letters, and submitting them is not likely to be very difficult.

If you're convinced that all 8 schools are a good fit for you, don't cut any of them. Many people apply to 8 or more schools and recommenders don't usually have a problem with that. As you say, they reuse the same letter template, changing only the cover letter. I'd suggest you tell them you're applying to 8 schools, and see what they think about that. Use the opportunity to ask for their opinion of your choices and whether they recommend adding or removing a school.