PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

On 1/11/2024 at 3:39 PM, Public health grl said:

Has anyone heard anything fromJHU, Columbia or Harvard for DrPH interviews?  

On 1/11/2024 at 5:14 PM, MiggyMigs said:

Applied to UC-Berkeley, Harvard, and Boston U. Invited to interview with BU later this month. I know it’s not an acceptance but I did cry a little when I saw my email earlier today :’)

Hey! I can't remember everyone who applied to Harvard DrPH, but please feel free to weigh in. 

Anyone heard back yet? I'm having trouble focusing. Anyone else experiencing this brain fog as a result of the waiting?

Has anyone applied to University of Minnesota for the PhD in Environmental Health program? I typically apply to Epi/SBS/Mental health programs bc I'm interested in substance/tobacco control, but at UMN this is under the department of Environmental Health Sciences. My POI is so great. Our interests match, I would say, 95%, and she even started to find fundings for me after our informal interview. However, I got nothing when I was trying to search for any decision info on here and other platforms. So, out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about this program?

2 hours ago, EquityDoctor said:

Those who applied to UNM, they sent out an announcement on moving to the final review. Also it said announcements will be made April 15th. 

32 minutes ago, carolinebb33 said:

Has anyone applied to University of Minnesota for the PhD in Environmental Health program? I typically apply to Epi/SBS/Mental health programs bc I'm interested in substance/tobacco control, but at UMN this is under the department of Environmental Health Sciences. My POI is so great. Our interests match, I would say, 95%, and she even started to find fundings for me after our informal interview. However, I got nothing when I was trying to search for any decision info on here and other platforms. So, out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about this program?

Here is my timeline and I applied for EPI: 1.23 advanced to stage 2 via email, 2.5 talked with POI and 2.7 offer via email. I guess it depends on your potential mentor.

1 hour ago, Mamitis said:

Hey! I can't remember everyone who applied to Harvard DrPH, but please feel free to weigh in. 

Anyone heard back yet? I'm having trouble focusing. Anyone else experiencing this brain fog as a result of the waiting?

Totally! I hate being in limbo!! From past forums it seems like Feb 15th was a date people received decisions! I am hoping we find out soon!!

4 hours ago, JustinDee said:

Hi All, 

Update for everyone: 

Michigan Epi: Offer of Admission with funding 

UCLA Epi: Offer of admission today, no funding letter though (did anyone else receive their funding letter yet?)

Minnesota: Made it to advisor match, but haven't heard anything more in 2 weeks. 

Rejected without interview: Emory (Epi), Hopkins (Epi - no interview), UCSF (Epi), U Washington (Epi)

Haven't heard from: UNC (Epi), UC Berkeley (ID and Immuno), Yale (Epi in Microbrial), Boston Uni (Epi), Harvard (PHS-Epi), Columbia (Epi)

UCLA Epi? They already told you? I interviewed but haven't heard anything yet

3 hours ago, Mamitis said:

Everyone who applied to the Harvard DrPH let's follow up on this thread. So i spoke to the admissions team today and they said this to me 

1. Admission decisions should be coming out starting now till mid march

2. Interviews are NOT a mandatory part of the process and that they reach out for interviews to get clarifications on applications.

So my question to everyone who got an interview from the Harvard DrPH, who interviewed you? were they faculty or the program admissions team and where the questions in-depth or surface level? I am not sure what the process it tbh.

Haha sorry, for all the questions, I only applied to this program and one program at UofT which i got an acceptance for, but i really do want to go to this school lol

2 hours ago, manifesthb said:

Anything from Brown PhD Epi?

Got rejection letter last week. Honestly speaking, I applied just it’s easy on SOPHAS and my qualifications matches more with DrPH, not PhD 😀

I’m sorry to hear it☹️. Was this after interview?

17 minutes ago, Atila said:

Got rejection letter last week. Honestly speaking, I applied just it’s easy on SOPHAS and my qualifications matches more with DrPH, not PhD 😀

50 minutes ago, andrewsethna said:

Everyone who applied to the Harvard DrPH let's follow up on this thread. So i spoke to the admissions team today and they said this to me 

2. Interviews are NOT a mandatory part of the process and that they reach out for interviews to get clarifications on applications.

So my question to everyone who got an interview from the Harvard DrPH, who interviewed you? were they faculty or the program admissions team and where the questions in-depth or surface level? I am not sure what the process it tbh.

Haha sorry, for all the questions, I only applied to this program and one program at UofT which i got an acceptance for, but i really do want to go to this school lol

Thanks for doing the amazing work of calling admissions! A true hero. I interviewed with faculty members. I think (maybe) they are on the admissions committee. But definitely faculty. I’d say I got some standard questions, but they weren’t clarifications. They were more in depth about my goals and aspirations. 

I’m stoked that you already have another admissions offer! I have one rejection so far. Waiting on three programs, but for various reasons, this one is standing out much more than the others. 

Much love and luck to all. Not sure my tender heart can take the wait through March. 

16 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

I’m sorry to hear it☹️. Was this after interview?

No interview & just rejection letter. I think this is the normal practice. Most of the schools sent out the rejection letter earlier than acceptance letter. So for those who haven’t received/ heard anything from your dream schools, it’s a good sign 😀

2 hours ago, Mamitis said:

Thanks for doing the amazing work of calling admissions! A true hero. I interviewed with faculty members. I think (maybe) they are on the admissions committee. But definitely faculty. I’d say I got some standard questions, but they weren’t clarifications. They were more in depth about my goals and aspirations. 

I’m stoked that you already have another admissions offer! I have one rejection so far. Waiting on three programs, but for various reasons, this one is standing out much more than the others. 

Much love and luck to all. Not sure my tender heart can take the wait through March. 

I also interviewed with faculty members. I learned that they build your case for the deliberations with the broader admissions committee. However, they're not members of that committee.  

This is literally the first time I have ever participated in an online forum. It's a testament to how anxious I am lol. 😅

Hi all! I've been a lurker for the past few weeks, and congrats to anyone who got acceptances!!

Got rejected from JHU HSRP and Brown HSR. I'm still waiting on NYU, OHSU/PSU, UW, UCLA, & GW. Did anyone hear back from any of those schools for a PhD in policy/health services research? I see that many of you are applying for DrPH's 

I've been feeling a bit defeated. I have a masters in this field too, yet it doesn't seem enough 😅

12 minutes ago, tired_student said:

Hi all! I've been a lurker for the past few weeks, and congrats to anyone who got acceptances!!

Got rejected from JHU HSRP and Brown HSR. I'm still waiting on NYU, OHSU/PSU, UW, UCLA, & GW. Did anyone hear back from any of those schools for a PhD in policy/health services research? I see that many of you are applying for DrPH's 

I've been feeling a bit defeated. I have a masters in this field too, yet it doesn't seem enough 😅

The way I resonate with your username 😅 and I agree. I’m so surprised at how uphill everything has felt. The amount of unknowns, the lack of transparency about processes. Hope we all get good news soon!

On 2/13/2024 at 5:58 PM, Mamitis said:

People who applied to Harvard and have a Harvard Key/portal account: Is anyone else's portal glitching like wild? Mine has an error message in the the Admissions Decision Letter box, and the whole page has been flickering and reloading the entire day . . .

Trying not to read into it . . .

I just checked the portal and have the same glitch in the letterbox, so odd.

21 hours ago, DrPH2024 said:

Nope! Nothing yet

On 2/14/2024 at 10:29 AM, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Okay, I re-read the email. I should have paid better attention. They will email us 3 questions and they want a written response by Friday. Nothing about scheduling an interview at this point. 

For the first round of the interview process, you will be contacted tomorrow, Wednesday, February 14 and asked to provide written responses to three questions, within a 48 hour timeframe. Please be prepared for this next step in the admissions process.

Hi. I have a question about the tasks assigned. The task states " Please pay close attention to these instructions. Answer the following questions in no more than two double spaced pages for all three questions inclusive, times new roman, 12-point font, one-inch margins."

It says all three questions inclusive, which I think means that with the table, questions, and instructions included, we would just have like one page to answer the two questions?

12 minutes ago, Public health grl said:

I just checked the portal and have the same glitch in the letterbox, so odd.

Try the link in another browser or clearing your cache. I moved the link from Chrome to Safari, and it resolved the glitch. I didn't want to clear my cache because I rely on it for my saved passwords. For a minute there, I really thought it meant that our letters were waiting in the wings and causing the glitch, no joke.

23 minutes ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Hi. I have a question about the tasks assigned. The task states " Please pay close attention to these instructions. Answer the following questions in no more than two double spaced pages for all three questions inclusive, times new roman, 12-point font, one-inch margins."

It says all three questions inclusive, which I think means that with the table, questions, and instructions included, we would just have like one page to answer the two questions?

You read my mind.. I am being creative :) Let's chat.

16 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

Try the link in another browser or clearing your cache. I moved the link from Chrome to Safari, and it resolved the glitch. I didn't want to clear my cache because I rely on it for my saved passwords. For a minute there, I really thought it meant that our letters were waiting in the wings and causing the glitch, no joke.

Thanks, good idea. I will try that! The wait is killing me lol

52 minutes ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Yeah I did not have much room for actual answers...

15 hours ago, andrewsethna said:

I applied to PhD and not DrPH but I think the above is the same for both (edit: on the website, they’ve indicated decisions “by” the 23rd). Not sure if DrPH is SOPHAS or GSAS. I had two interviews with my faculty of interest following introductory emails I sent to express my interest. This was before I submitted my materials, so I’ve been nervous, but I think following above, they may not have needed to follow up, since we spoke. Here’s hoping!!

Edited by MimiNMe