PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

13 hours ago, pubhlthEM said:

Same here! I heard the program director say they will be in touch with "next steps" in the coming weeks, and I also heard the Epi dean say that admissions decisions will begin to be released next week on a rolling basis

I saw a few acceptances come out in the main page!! Congrats to you folks!! Does anyone know which tracks (or focus) they’ve already released results for? 

I saw someone posted a Brown BSHS acceptance on Saturday but there’s no way they released decisions already, the director said they weren’t even going to start discussing until this coming week. So don’t panic yet!!

7 hours ago, manifesthb said:

I saw a few acceptances come out in the main page!! Congrats to you folks!! Does anyone know which tracks (or focus) they’ve already released results for? 

38 minutes ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

Does anyone know if JHU online DrPh does interviews prior to decisions March 1? And any idea when we should expect to hear about an interview?

Pretty sure they do not. From past years, at least. 

9 minutes ago, EnvHEpi said:

Does heard anything from Harvard PHS as to when decisions will be sent out?

I haven't heard anything from them directly (already assuming I'm not getting in lol), but this is on their website: "We expect to notify all applicants of their PHS PhD Admissions status by Friday, 23 February 2024. Once again, please do not contact PHS, our Fields, or our Faculty with early-decision requests; all PHS PhD Admissions notifications are delivered on the same, equitable timeline for all those who apply."

1 hour ago, PublicHealthBarbie said:

Still waiting to hear from: 
Columbia Sociomedical Sciences
NYU SBS
CUNY Community Health and Health Policy
Yale SBS
Northeastern Population Health
GWU SBS

Has anyone else heard from these schools?

Hi! I did an interview with GWU SBS two weeks ago, but I did not hear back from them re: results. They said results should come out by mid-Feb. Not sure about other schools since I did not apply to them. Good luck with the process!

4 hours ago, PublicHealthBarbie said:

Still waiting to hear from: 
Columbia Sociomedical Sciences
NYU SBS
CUNY Community Health and Health Policy
Yale SBS
Northeastern Population Health
GWU SBS

Has anyone else heard from these schools?

I interviewed with GWU two weeks ago and NYU last week.

4 minutes ago, srhpublichealth8 said:

Congratulations!!! So excited for you. Don’t forget that financial aid packages are negotiable!!! Get paid what you’re worth🙌🏻

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. This is my first time applying and any information on how UNC's financial system works or how to negotiate would be greatly appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Qantu said:

I received my first acceptance from UNC-Chapel Hill, Ph.D. Epidemiology. Waiting to hear more about financial aid. Good luck to all!

Congrats!! When did you have the interview? I had an interview last Friday and hate the feeling of waiting...

9 minutes ago, Qantu said:

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. This is my first time applying and any information on how UNC's financial system works or how to negotiate would be greatly appreciated.

I unfortunately don’t have any idea of how UNC’s financial system works, but I know for UNC specifically, students are relatively successful getting in state tuition rates after a year or so. For general PhD stuff, I’ve heard of students successfully using more competitive offers from other schools to ask for a better package (larger stipend, fellowship, relocation stipend, soft benefits). I would look online or talk to current students for advice on negotiating PhD packages, since I haven’t gotten any acceptances (yet!) and haven’t gone through the process myself. I did however negotiate when deciding on master’s programs a few years ago (using other schools’ offers as proof I was worth more) and ended up getting an additional $25k scholarship. So it definitely can work! Schools just don’t like to advertise the fact that aid is negotiable.

Edited by srhpublichealth8

4 minutes ago, cpkepi said:

Congrats!! When did you have the interview? I had an interview last Friday and hate the feeling of waiting...

Thank you! It was a couple of weeks ago. Did you receive the general email this morning? They mentioned decisions would be released in batches until the end of March. So, there is still a lot of time. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Qantu