PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

14 hours ago, JustinDee said:

Michigan sent out their interviews the third week of December and they were conducted two weeks ago in January. I had one. 

Haven't heard from Harvard though. 

Nope! Still waiting, but a faculty told me there were only 1-3 spots. 

I heard back from Yale EMD last week and was invited to their on-campus interview day two weeks from now. Likewise, I heard there will be few spots, though that is usually the case with their program. .. 

Unrelated, has anyone heard back from Columbia EPI? I did see that one person heard back about another track/training program within EPI. 

Edited by EpiNYC

9 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

I heard back from Yale EMD last week and was invited to their on-campus interview day two weeks from now. Likewise, I heard there will be few spots, though that is usually the case with their program. .. 

Unrelated, has anyone heard back from Columbia EPI? I did see that one person heard back about another track/training program within EPI. 

I applied to Columbia EPI chronic disease track but haven't heard from them yet.

1 hour ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Did anyone reach out to Harvards adcom to ask about the importance of interview / if it’s mandatory or a optional thing only to clarify some applications/ if people admitted without them too?

I’m wondering about this too!! Radio silence from SBS and even though the website says it isn’t mandatory, I wonder how common it is to be accepted without interview?

13 hours ago, Qantu said:

I also had an interview for Harvard PHS around the same days but didn't hear anything else. Let's hang in there and hope for the best!

I talked to two professors on the 16th too (EHS track), but haven’t heard anything since. Even emailed asking a question because they said feel free to and haven’t heard back. 

Harvard PHS email from adcom is a copy paste of what’s on website:  “Although interviews are neither required nor guaranteed during our admissions deliberations, some 2024 cohort applicants may be contacted via email/phone in December or January to schedule a remote interview with one or more Harvard faculty reviewers via zoom Skype or phone. Please do not contact PHS, our fields or our Faculty to schedule an interview- unless you have been contacted first by a representative of our program. Decisions are expected to go out mid to late February. Thank you for your patience!”

1 hour ago, ADRPH said:

Congratulations!!! Did you have an interview with the school?

They had a recorded interview with set questions, and sent it to the reviewers packaged with my application. They didn't send the questions in advance unfortunately lol

Also just to pass the time while decisions await i used chat gpt to come up with how those rejection letters feel.

Dear [Your Name],

Congratulations on successfully turning a simple leadership role into a theatrical performance of epic proportions. Your self-proclaimed brilliance in public health has left us in stitches – not from admiration, but from the sheer audacity of your delusions.

While you may revel in the fantasy of your "unparalleled brilliance," the reality is that your leadership is more of a public health hazard than a blessing. The only thing contagious about you is the eye-rolling epidemic among the team.

We've considered starting a support group for those enduring your leadership style, but we fear it might escalate into a full-blown therapy session. Rest assured, we're exploring ways to survive this misguided journey into the abyss of your leadership legacy.

Here's to enduring the cringe-worthy saga,

[Recipient]

6 hours ago, EpiNYC said:

An update for my Columbia Epi folks! I just got an email to interview with the admissions committee in the next week... 

Damn seems like I didn’t make the cut 😭😭. Thanks for updating us and good luck on your interview!! 

9 hours ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Did anyone reach out to Harvards adcom to ask about the importance of interview / if it’s mandatory or a optional thing only to clarify some applications/ if people admitted without them too?

I am confused by this, too; either their process is ambiguous, or they aren't interested in being transparent about the review process. For their DrPH, I have heard different responses from current students; admissions mentioned this: "Aside from the Kira interview, no interview is necessary for the DrPH program. The Kira interview is evaluated as part of the holistic application review and will be considered alongside all other submitted materials. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out."

2 hours ago, Public health grl said:

I am confused by this, too; either their process is ambiguous, or they aren't interested in being transparent about the review process. For their DrPH, I have heard different responses from current students; admissions mentioned this: "Aside from the Kira interview, no interview is necessary for the DrPH program. The Kira interview is evaluated as part of the holistic application review and will be considered alongside all other submitted materials. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out."

Asked the same question, got this response "

"If reviewers need additional clarification, they may reach out to you to schedule an interview. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out. "

39 minutes ago, Squashplayer000 said:

Hi.

I hope everyone is doing well. Is John Hopkins interviewing DrPH this season? I thought they didn't conduct interviews. Has anyone received interview invitations?

Also, has anyone received any feedback from USF or Rutgers? Please let me know. Thank you.

I’ve heard of one person getting an interview with JHU but everyone seems to think that’s not the norm. Sounds like decisions are posted March 1. 

USF, haven’t heard anything but was told to at they do 3 rounds of interviews with cuts after each round, and final decisions go out on April. I haven’t heard that confirmed by anyone else though, so I’m not sure. 

20 minutes ago, andrewsethna said:

Asked the same question, got this response "

"If reviewers need additional clarification, they may reach out to you to schedule an interview. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out. "

Lol I heard this verbally during a one on one with admissions before applying! It’s quite funny how many responses they have. Two students that were accepted last year told me they had two round of interviews so that admissions could see beyond their written application. I’ve finally decided not to stress about the outcomes. What is meant to be will be. 

23 minutes ago, Public health grl said:

Lol I heard this verbally during a one on one with admissions before applying! It’s quite funny how many responses they have. Two students that were accepted last year told me they had two round of interviews so that admissions could see beyond their written application. I’ve finally decided not to stress about the outcomes. What is meant to be will be. 

what track did the students apply to?

13 hours ago, texaspublichealthgirl said:

I’ve heard of one person getting an interview with JHU but everyone seems to think that’s not the norm. Sounds like decisions are posted March 1. 

USF, haven’t heard anything but was told to at they do 3 rounds of interviews with cuts after each round, and final decisions go out on April. I haven’t heard that confirmed by anyone else though, so I’m not sure. 

It's getting too close for comfort. Have you applied to the University of Texas Health? I applied last year for their Health Promotion/Education DrPH but they rejected my application and said that they would consider me for DrPH Community Health Practice if I am interested.  I was interested but then Community Health Practice required a GRE and I didn't have enough time to take the test. 

7 minutes ago, Squashplayer000 said:

It's getting too close for comfort. Have you applied to the University of Texas Health? I applied last year for their Health Promotion/Education DrPH but they rejected my application and said that they would consider me for DrPH Community Health Practice if I am interested.  I was interested but then Community Health Practice required a GRE and I didn't have enough time to take the test. 

I did apply last year to the management track, they rejected me and said I should do behavioral track. I haven’t heard from them if they have everything needed for my application and I’ve reached out twice. I did my MPH with them, started my DrPh with them in 2019 but dropped out because it wouldn’t work with my work schedule. I think they are really looking for full time students that support professor research, and I’m looking for more executive format. 

What is the typical etiquette for acceptance emails? I got some and a few are clearly personalized from the program director, do I email them back thanking them? It feels weird / I'm not sure how to reply or if I should or if I'm overthinking it....

23 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

Anyone who applied to Brown, Harvard, or Hopkins Epi hear back after the interview?

I just got into UNC today! I applied for the pharmacoepi track, then methods I believe. 

JHU should have let you know the decision would come out in mid Feb during the interview.