Profile evaluation for stat Phd - (Low Gpa). Can I overcome this deficiency?

Hi, I am novice in this site. Glad to write post on this site!

Majoring in statistics, I'm pursing a PhD in the US.  Because of low Undergrad gpa, I indeed gave up my application at the last year. 

But after some consideration, I have decided to challenge at least once. So I need your unemotional evaluation about the possibility getting into decent programs.

Here is my rough CV.

Type : International Asian ( South Korean)

Undergrad  Institution : Top 1 university in South Korea (SNU) (QS ranking by subject : rank 44 in mathematics)

Undergraduate Major:  Statistics / Economics 
cGPA: 3.07 / 4.0
Major GPA: 3.32/4.0
Core Math & Stat courses taken :

-First year course
Calculus1, 2 (2 includes multi-var cal) : B- & B-
Introduction to Statistics : B
Statistics lab (R) : B+
Statistical Computation (R) : A-
Logic : A

- Second year course
Linear Algebra 1 : B 
Linear Algebra 2 : B+
Real analysis (baby rudin course) : B
Probability Theory (undergrad level) : B
Math for economics : A
Statistics for economics : A-
Survey Sampling and Design : A-

- Third year course
Mathematical Statistics (1) & (2) (both undergrad level) : B & B
Regression analysis : B+
Survival Analysis : B+
Experimental Design: B
Topology 1 : A
Complex Variable : A-
Modern Algebra 1 : B+
Econometrics : A

- Senior course
Multivariate Analysis : B
Data Mining methods and Lab : A
Stochastic Differential Equation (1) & (2) : A+ & A+
Statistical Computing (Advanced) : A-
Nonparametric Statistics and Lab : B+

-Grad course
Real Analysis (Measure Theory, rudin RCA) : A
Prob Theory 1 & 2 : A & A-
Stat Theory 1 & 2 : A & A-
Applied Stat : B+
Statistical Machine Learning : A+
Statistical Consulting : A+

Grad Institution : Same institution

Major:  Statistics Master 
GPA: 3.81 / 4.00

Thesis : Review study on model based time-series clustering theory and method 

GRE General Test:  160 / 170 / 4.0 (V/ Q/ A.W)
Toefl:  not prepared yet but can meet approximately 100 or over.

Programs Applying:  Statistics PhD 

Research Experience: 

1.  REU at biostat Lab studying influences of certain mRNA to Pancreatic Cancer. 
2.  Current work as researcher in time-series analysis lab. 
-Working on progress : Volatility clustering of time series using various Fuzzy c-medoids based clustering method 

Teaching experience: 
TA of Statistics : (Fall 2021 , Spring 2022 , Fall 2022)
TA of Statistics and Lab (R) : Spring 2023

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Academic Excellence Scholarship - Seoul National University (Fall 2022)

Best TA Awards - Seoul National University (Spring 2022)

Letters of Recommendation: 
Maybe two from faculty in statistics or mathematic department and one from current adviser.

Programming/ Software skills: R(high level), Python(intermediate level)

Current Research Interest: Time series analysis clustering, temporal-spatial data analysis, application of sde to temporal dynamic data.
Future Interest : Analysis of time series data on manifold space.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

My major concern:  Very low GPA in undergraduate course, lack of published paper though I'm working on one paper.

As mentioned above, I had originally gave up my dream to study abroad due to my low gpa.  But recently, I have decided to make effort to go abroad at least once.
However, honsetly speaking, I am suspicious of myself that I'm eligible for decent programs in statistics. 
Please give your valuable opinions about my current status. Anything will be appreciated!

1. Can you give your opinions of choosing programs? Specifically, can I enter top 20~30 programs?
2. Any advice to strengthen my profile as attractive applicants? (eg. upgrade GRE scores, etc..)

Sincerely, thank you in advance.

Top 20 might be very tough due to the undergrad cumulative GPA, but you could try a few schools (I probably wouldn't apply to too many, however). However, your greatly improved Masters performance from a prestigious university in South Korea and your excellent GRE scores are things that could work in your favor, though. In your statement of purpose, it is important to explain your undergrad performance and stress your improvement in your Masters. 

I would recommend that you apply for a wide range of schools (USNWR ranked 11 to 63), but certainly limit the number of schools that you apply to that are in the top 20-25 USNWR schools. I could see you having a shot at some places like Virginia Tech, Georgia, and below that (admissions is still competitive, but the "superstar" international applicants often do not apply to mid-tier schools, so the competition willb e slightly less fierce and more in your favor).

52 minutes ago, Stat Assistant Professor said:

Top 20 might be very tough due to the undergrad cumulative GPA, but you could try a few schools (I probably wouldn't apply to too many, however). However, your greatly improved Masters performance from a prestigious university in South Korea and your excellent GRE scores are things that could work in your favor, though. In your statement of purpose, it is important to explain your undergrad performance and stress your improvement in your Masters. 

I would recommend that you apply for a wide range of schools (USNWR ranked 11 to 63), but certainly limit the number of schools that you apply to that are in the top 20-25 USNWR schools. I could see you having a shot at some places like Virginia Tech, Georgia, and below that (admissions is still competitive, but the "superstar" international applicants often do not apply to mid-tier schools, so the competition willb e slightly less fierce and more in your favor).

I really appreciate your every recommendation about my problem. But can I ask you a few questions?

1. Indeed, ohio state univ is my dream school. What should I do to enhance the possibility to be accepted? Is it helpful to directly contact to the faculty of that school?

2. Can you please give me some more lists of possible schools that are in 20~30 ?

Sincerely, thank you for your reply to my topic prof.

3 hours ago, mr_stat said:

I really appreciate your every recommendation about my problem. But can I ask you a few questions?

1. Indeed, ohio state univ is my dream school. What should I do to enhance the possibility to be accepted? Is it helpful to directly contact to the faculty of that school?

2. Can you please give me some more lists of possible schools that are in 20~30 ?

Sincerely, thank you for your reply to my topic prof.

I think most of those ranked 20-30 (UFlorida, Purdue, UT-Austin, UC-Irvine) will be pretty tough, TBH. One way to enhance your profile would be to have a paper completed and under review. Your SOP should explain the undergrad performance and why this does not reflect your ability to succeed in a PhD program, and how you have improved greatly since then to prepare yourself for doctoral study (this is where you emphasize your strong Masters performance, your grades of A/A- in measure theoretic real analysis, graduate probability and statistics, research experience, etc.). Often times for graduate admissions, one of the key concerns of the admissions committee is whether or not the applicant can pass the PhD Qualifying Exam. So you need to remove as much doubt about this as possible.  

I think you may just need to apply to a very wide range of schools. I think your profile could get you into mid-tier PhD programs at least. Note that rank does not correlate to competitiveness (admission rate) either -- some schools that are ranked in the 30s by USNWR are actually extremely competitive because they do not accept many applicants (e.g. NYU Stern and Northwestern do not accept very many applicants. NYU might only accept 1 or 2... last I checked, they only have 4 Statistics PhD students total). But mid-ranked flagship state schools may be more amenable to your application, especially since you went to the top university in South Korea and "star" international applicants won't apply to as many of those programs (they may apply to only a couple of them as a "safety"). 

6 hours ago, Stat Assistant Professor said:

I think most of those ranked 20-30 (UFlorida, Purdue, UT-Austin, UC-Irvine) will be pretty tough, TBH. One way to enhance your profile would be to have a paper completed and under review. Your SOP should explain the undergrad performance and why this does not reflect your ability to succeed in a PhD program, and how you have improved greatly since then to prepare yourself for doctoral study (this is where you emphasize your strong Masters performance, your grades of A/A- in measure theoretic real analysis, graduate probability and statistics, research experience, etc.). Often times for graduate admissions, one of the key concerns of the admissions committee is whether or not the applicant can pass the PhD Qualifying Exam. So you need to remove as much doubt about this as possible.  

I think you may just need to apply to a very wide range of schools. I think your profile could get you into mid-tier PhD programs at least. Note that rank does not correlate to competitiveness (admission rate) either -- some schools that are ranked in the 30s by USNWR are actually extremely competitive because they do not accept many applicants (e.g. NYU Stern and Northwestern do not accept very many applicants. NYU might only accept 1 or 2... last I checked, they only have 4 Statistics PhD students total). But mid-ranked flagship state schools may be more amenable to your application, especially since you went to the top university in South Korea and "star" international applicants won't apply to as many of those programs (they may apply to only a couple of them as a "safety"). 

Great! Thank you for your recommendation. Now I can settle myself to be concentrated on. 
Best regards stat prof!

Hi, this is PhD student from same country with you at 30ish school. I saw your another post at different website too. I hope I can help you with if possible. 

I think you still have a chance to get in 30ish or even higher(cannot guarantee but worth to try). You did well in your masters and hopefully it can compensate your low undergraduate GPA. 

Of course the student with high GPA from prestigious school will be the strong applicant, but other than that some schools give more weight to the name of school compared to high GPA, and other schools prefer high GPA even though they are not coming from top schools(at least okay school though). It depends on the admission committee of each school, but former case is my department based on examples I saw even though I'm from unknown school. 

As Stat Assistant Professor already mentioned, I also recommend you to apply wide range of schools. Admission procedure has a lot of uncertainty. I know it would be costly, but you can spend that money for your dream. Besides the information from Stat Assistant Professor, I would like to say you can find the list of PhD student at each department's website, and you can see that they are favorable to korean or not. I know a few schools that they've (almost) never accepted korean.