LOR tips n tricks

applicant

Hi guys,

I've been told by some admits that there are many tiny details that I/my recommenders should take care about when writing LORs. Obviously things like calling me by my first name, referencing my academic and research potential etc. etc.

But there's also things like using certain words and similar stuff (for instance saying that a student is an excellent student is bad and they should always use something stronger). I'm slightly worried about this as all my recommenders will be non-native English speakers and while I trust their academic and professional knowledge I am not so sure about their English.

Any advice?

Thx! :)

Hi guys,

I've been told by some admits that there are many tiny details that I/my recommenders should take care about when writing LORs. Obviously things like calling me by my first name, referencing my academic and research potential etc. etc.

But there's also things like using certain words and similar stuff (for instance saying that a student is an excellent student is bad and they should always use something stronger). I'm slightly worried about this as all my recommenders will be non-native English speakers and while I trust their academic and professional knowledge I am not so sure about their English.

Any advice?

Thx! :)

What can be stronger than saying that a student is an excellent student? :) I think US adcoms must undestand perfectly well that non-native English speakers can have other ways of addressing applicant's strengths. I mean, I think you worry too much about these things. If your recommenders describe you in a positive way that must be enough, no matter what words they use.

What can be stronger than saying that a student is an excellent student? :) I think US adcoms must undestand perfectly well that non-native English speakers can have other ways of addressing applicant's strengths. I mean, I think you worry too much about these things. If your recommenders describe you in a positive way that must be enough, no matter what words they use.

I disagree. Adcoms read thousands of these things and, I imagine, about 100% of them are in some way positive. Letter writers need to use language and examples that make a candidate shine in comparison to other applicants. I've had similar worries in getting letters from non-native speakers in the past. My biggest concern was that my letter writer's English was nearly fluent, but that recommendation letters are a genre unto themselves. My approach to ask if she had written one for the States before and see how she responded. She had. I prodded. She seemed to know something about the process, but didn't seem entirely certain as to what committees were looking for. Do you have access to another letter from a native speaker that you're happy with? I did, and I passed it along to my non-native speaking letter writer so that she could get a feel for the style and emphasis. If you don't have a letter, you might consider contacting a native-speaking professor you know and explaining the situation to them. Perhaps they have an example of a letter that they'd be willing to clean of identifying information and forward along to your non-native speaking writer as a point of reference. Lastly, and this is always a tricky option, you can suggest that you help review it once it is written. I don't know what your relationship with the letter writer is like, but if he/she is open to allowing you to see the letter, that's your safest bet for finding out if it's up to par/influencing the overall quality of it.

Obviously things like calling me by my first name

Huh? I have never heard that before... Is that supposed to establish that you have developed some kind of personal/informal relationship with the professor beyond the classroom? I've visited my letter-writers' homes and had much contact outside of the school setting and all three refer to me as Mr. xxxxx in their LORs.