Old vs New GRE for weaker quantitative taker?

fenderpete

Hi all,

So I’m planning to apply for an MPA focused in Conflict Resolution/International Development for Fall 2012 (no harm in starting good and early right?).

I’ve just heard that the GRE is going to be changing next year (hopefully for the better) and I’m not sure whether it’s better to wait and take the new test in November/December time (2011) or try and take it before it changes in the Spring.

I’m generally not as strong at maths (got a Q610 last time) but pretty good in verbal (V690, AWA 5.5) and I’m wondering whether the new GRE will be easier/tougher than the old one for me (which is at least a known quantity) or just different.

I really want to boost my Q score and if possible, consolidate my verbal and end up with an overall score good enough to apply to the really competitive programs (WWS, Georgetown, Harvard).

What do you guys reckon? Take the old test and rush my preparations, or prepare to take it in Nov/Dec and risk the new test type?

Thanks for any advice!

Pete

I am afraid I cannot provide an answer to your question. I only want to say that you raised a very valid point and I suggest you do some research on the matter. The quantitative part (incl. its level of difficulty and our perception of its difficulty) may really undergo changes.

During my GRE test in October, the identified part at the end of the test was the Quantitative part. It had questions the kinds of which were not present in GRE before, and generally that part was much harder than the actual quantitative part. I do not know though whether that identified part has anything to do with what the quantitative section may look in the future.

I am afraid I cannot provide an answer to your question. I only want to say that you raised a very valid point and I suggest you do some research on the matter. The quantitative part (incl. its level of difficulty and our perception of its difficulty) may really undergo changes.

During my GRE test in October, the identified part at the end of the test was the Quantitative part. It had questions the kinds of which were not present in GRE before, and generally that part was much harder than the actual quantitative part. I do not know though whether that identified part has anything to do with what the quantitative section may look in the future.

Well I think I would prefer to take it now (as a person also not super strong at math) for two reasons.

1- there are tons of material on how to study for the current GRE. once it changes there will not be as much

2- you get to use a calculator on the new GRE. this means the problems will be much harder from a math perspective. now they are just tricky (still hard but you dont need to know as much math)

Here's something else to consider:

The new GRE will have questions for which more than one box must be checked to get the question right:

Ex: Susie is twelve years old and her brother Bill is 20 years old. Fred, her cousin, is older than Susie and younger than Bill. Which of the following could be Fred's age?

A. 7

B. 13

C. 20

D. 14

E. 87

To get the question right, you must check BOTH 13 AND 14. The actual problems will of course be much more difficult than this, and will most likely be in statistics, data analysis, probabilities, etc.

I'd strongly advise you to go with the devil you know.

Edited by DrFaustus666

I'd strongly advise you to go with the devil you know.

As an employee of Manhattan GRE I was invited to attend an ETS conference that dealt with the changes to the GRE test. In addition to the above comments (with which I agree) I would like to note two things.

First, one of the aims of the redesign is to realign the math section scoring. Currently the Quantitative scoring is skewed so that a perfect 800 is only in the 94th percentile (contrast that with a 730 or higher being in the 99th percentile on the Verbal). On the new GRE the 50th percentile score will be closer to the middle of the point scale. This will make it more difficult to get a high numerical score on the math section.

Secondly, there will be questions that require a fill in the blank style input. It will likely be more difficult for people to generate answers on their own without the assistance of answer choices.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Taylor Dearr