SSRC IDRF 2010-2011

moinonplus

my friend told me that his friend did not receive a request for transcript and then ended up getting the award....

Just when I think I'm out, posts like this pull me back in.

Is it correct that SSRC sends out rejection letters in February? It would be nice to know one way or the other.

it looks like they do send out notification in February. check out the FAQ section on the fellowship website.

Just when I think I'm out, posts like this pull me back in.

Is it correct that SSRC sends out rejection letters in February? It would be nice to know one way or the other.

I don't know abt getting one's hopes up... based on a fairly large sample (+25 peers who I personally knew applied last year, from a range of disciplines and institutions), it seems pretty clear to me that there is a strong (if not absolute) correlation between being asked for transcripts and being selected from the second round. I'd love to be proven wrong, but for the time being I will just assume I've been rejected.

I'm really not sure it works like that. At my school we had a meeting with a professor who works for the SSRC. He says a collection of professors get a CD with a number of proposals, which they have to rate. One day they all get together in an office in NYC. There they select number of applicants they automatically accept, and a number they automatically reject (the extreme best, and the extreme worst). It's the middle group they argue about. Ironically this means that no one really talks about the best applications. He didn't say anything about asking for transcripts, but if what he says is accurate, I imagine this is for the middle group. Note, I can't speak for the accuracy of what he said, I'm just saying voer what I heard.

that's interesting, thanks for the info. Is that this year's procedure, or a previous one? And do you know the timeline for those steps (ie what happens in feb)?

quote name='ConservativeGrad' timestamp='1297781274' post='194549']

I'm really not sure it works like that. At my school we had a meeting with a professor who works for the SSRC. He says a collection of professors get a CD with a number of proposals, which they have to rate. One day they all get together in an office in NYC. There they select number of applicants they automatically accept, and a number they automatically reject (the extreme best, and the extreme worst). It's the middle group they argue about. Ironically this means that no one really talks about the best applications. He didn't say anything about asking for transcripts, but if what he says is accurate, I imagine this is for the middle group. Note, I can't speak for the accuracy of what he said, I'm just saying voer what I heard.

So he told us this information back in October 2010 (the applications were due in December). I'm sorry, he didn't give us a timeline or tells us if this years procedures are different. It was just basically a little seminar on how these applications are read to help us increase our odds just a little bit. Ha I imagine in February most of us will get really bad news and some of us will get really good news.

If this helps he did tell us that they don't worry about rejecting a whole bunch of people for inconsequential stuff (inconsequential to us) since they get tons of applications each year, and each one of them is a good idea. Like if a reviewer's attention isnt grabbed on the first page of the proposal, or if there is a typo, or something is in the slightest unclear, they'll throw it in the reject pile without remorse. They don't have to worry about running out of good applications. The lesson I took was that there wil always be someone with a more interesting idea than myself. But not everyone knows how to convince people to give them free money. It's fascinating to see how this stuff is read!

Note: I don't know any of this from experience. I'm personally expecting a rejection e mail. I'm just passing along the info I was told.

Oh he also said that the SSRC is funded by an organization that wants to promote research in the Humanities. So even though it's called the 'Social Science' Research Council the name is somewhat misleading. Since there are so many Social Scientists who apply each year, people the Humanities already have an advantage. So Art History or Religion people shouldn't be afraid applying. :-)

Edited by ConservativeGrad

I'm also going to assume I've been rejected. I suggest others who did not receive a transcript request do so as well at the very least for your own mental health.

I've been following the trajectory past years' threads have taken over funding decisions and it's incredibly heartbreaking to see the mood ebb and flow between January and April. "Brutal" is the only honest way to describe it.

That I've accepted I will not be receiving the SSRC I'm considering a form of liberation. Congrats to those still in the running!

I don't know abt getting one's hopes up... based on a fairly large sample (+25 peers who I personally knew applied last year, from a range of disciplines and institutions), it seems pretty clear to me that there is a strong (if not absolute) correlation between being asked for transcripts and being selected from the second round. I'd love to be proven wrong, but for the time being I will just assume I've been rejected.

Edited by quiqui

I've been following the trajectory past years' threads have taken over funding decisions and it's incredibly heartbreaking to see the mood ebb and flow between January and April. "Brutal" is the only honest way to describe it.

omg, i agree. i think the only thing to do is to pretend that the applications are *not* out there in the atmosphere, that we are *not* waiting for news (good or bad). Still, April and May will probably be TOUGH to get through!

I think its time we can stop calling it a "correlation." I've looked over similar forums dating from the last three years, and I've yet to find one concrete instance that was not based on heresy in which someone who never got a transcript request ended up being selected for the grant. It seems a shame to get people's hopes up, especially when all the evidence available to us indicates that a transcript requests will be issued to those who have made it to the second run (and vice-versa, a request will not be issued if you're no longer under consideration).

Still waiting to hear from SSRC. Have not heard from them except re: transcript request 1-2 weeks ago. I'm in California.

True indeed.

Also, just wanted to point out that the rejection letter said there were 1200 applicants, which seems much more than the last few years.