Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

^ Yeah i did call. They said the end of the week about three days ago and I have been checking my email for days- Nothing

Maybe they meant end of the month, because if nothing comes in the next two hours that would be kind of weird- Maybe next week or some people who got the results are not on thegradcafe?

This place is kind of self-selective with all the high-stat weirdos congregating en-masse to mock those with average stats and wave their Stanford and MIT acceptances in the face of people who just would be happy with school ranked in the 30s.

Joking

But it sucks to be an international student big time.

How many schools is everyone visiting? Right now I'm visiting 5 (I'm in at 7 so far) and, though I'm excited, I'm also worried about burning myself out. I'll be on visits five weekends in a row and then the ACS meeting. I'm thinking of cutting one more as I'm pretty confident I'll end up at one of the other 4 schools.

^ Yeah i did call. They said the end of the week about three days ago and I have been checking my email for days- Nothing

Maybe they meant end of the month, because if nothing comes in the next two hours that would be kind of weird- Maybe next week or some people who got the results are not on thegradcafe?

This place is kind of self-selective with all the high-stat weirdos congregating en-masse to mock those with average stats and wave their Stanford and MIT acceptances in the face of people who just would be happy with school ranked in the 30s.

Joking

But it sucks to be an international student big time.

Hey still waiting here too, didn't get an email either. I assume that's bad but we'll see. I will call Tuesday if I don't have anything when I check my mail when I get home. Not going to do it any sooner since I have an interview Monday and I don't want to be bummed out.

How many schools is everyone visiting? Right now I'm visiting 5 (I'm in at 7 so far) and, though I'm excited, I'm also worried about burning myself out. I'll be on visits five weekends in a row and then the ACS meeting. I'm thinking of cutting one more as I'm pretty confident I'll end up at one of the other 4 schools.

I'm going to 3, that should be enough to choose from.

@luce373

I'm also planning on visiting 5 schools (out of 7 total) and will also be attending the ACS meeting. It'll be stressful (especially due to my strong distaste for traveling), but I think it's worth meeting the professors leading the field and seeing if my decision becomes obvious (although I doubt it will). We shall see if it is worth it.

I will visit four or five schools, I haven't quite decided yet. Luckily, two of the schools have a joint visitation period so I will only need to travel three or four times, which I think should be quite reasonable. However, realistically, I think my decision will almost certainly come down to just two schools so I'm mostly focusing on those two (in terms of learning about the research projects of potential advisers, etc).

How about the rest of you, regardless how many schools you plan to visit, do you have one or a couple of schools that stand out as clear forerunners, or are you still seriously considering most or all schools to which you have been accepted?

Edited by tso123d

How about the rest of you, regardless how many schools you plan to visit, do you have one or a couple of schools that stand out as clear forerunners, or are you still seriously considering most or all schools to which you have been accepted?

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards one school, but it's mostly personal reasons that put it in front. I'm hoping that visit goes well so it doesn't make my decision more complicated. Then I've got two more schools that are tied for my second choice, and another two that I think would be fun to visit but I probably won't end up at. Like you, SyntheticOrganiker, I'm looking forward to meeting and talking to some leading professors in my field even if I don't think I'll attend their schools.

One of the schools is where I am right now and Caltech will be combined with ACS, so I'll at least only have to travel four times.

I'm fully considering all 5 that I'm visiting, but 2 are ahead of the others with a 3rd coming up. For me, I think it'd be disingenuous to go visit a school when I had my mind pretty much already made up (if they were paying for the transportation), but I guess one never knows until the program is actually checked out.

I'm fully considering all 5 that I'm visiting, but 2 are ahead of the others with a 3rd coming up. For me, I think it'd be disingenuous to go visit a school when I had my mind pretty much already made up (if they were paying for the transportation), but I guess one never knows until the program is actually checked out.

I do agree with you. One of the two I feel I'm less likely to end up at is the one I don't have to travel for so they'd only be paying for a meal or two, and I actually like the program very much, I'm just ready for a change of location. The other, I haven't committed to visiting yet because I'm being indecisive about it.

I wish I could just visit my first choice now before making any other travel arrangements. Then if it went well I could just call it a day. :)

For me, I think it'd be disingenuous to go visit a school when I had my mind pretty much already made up (if they were paying for the transportation), but I guess one never knows until the program is actually checked out.

Oh, yes I definitely agree with you. I probably shouldn't have said "seriously consider," but rather something like "consider equally." In my case, all of the schools that I plan to visit have great programs that I would be happy to join. It's just that for a number of reason I am strongly leaning towards two of them.

I'm visiting 5 (out of 8)... leaning towards two but really that's just because I have more first-hand information about the research groups and have met a couple of the PI's (through conferences or when they were at my university for a seminar). The other three also have excellent programs and research groups, so I'm looking forward to visiting them as any of the 5 could very well end up being the best fit.

I'm visiting 5 or 6 schools (out of 9) and will also be at the ACS meeting. Like many people above, I am in the position where 2 schools have the overlapping visit periods which is nice. Also, considering so many of the East Coast schools are no more than an hour flight away in my case, it makes easy to just head over to each of them, even though I may not make each school's specified visit day.

Hi

I have applied for Phd in Univ of Wisconsin , Milwaukee and Marquette Univ. I have my masters in Organic Chemistry from India and I have 1 year of experience in Analytical R&D lab as a chemist.

My GRE score is close to 1000 . What would be my chances ? Any suggestions

Thanks

Anitha

So, is there anyone still waiting to hear from Columbia? Or is it pretty safe for me to assume rejection at this point?

Not a big deal, either way. In at U Chicago for theoretical! Also still waiting on CU-Boulder, but I'm not sure if they can compete with Chicago for me. It's looking more and more like I'll be in Hyde Park come this fall -- anyone else joining me?

So, is there anyone still waiting to hear from Columbia? Or is it pretty safe for me to assume rejection at this point?

Not a big deal, either way. In at U Chicago for theoretical! Also still waiting on CU-Boulder, but I'm not sure if they can compete with Chicago for me. It's looking more and more like I'll be in Hyde Park come this fall -- anyone else joining me?

Hey,

Literally just called the graduate office for chemistry. If you haven't recieved an email you weren't offered admission, they will check the waitlist for you though. Only seven people on it and I wasn't one of them. Oh well. Congrats to those that got in. Good luck to those of us still waiting on other places.

Hey,

Literally just called the graduate office for chemistry. If you haven't recieved an email you weren't offered admission, they will check the waitlist for you though. Only seven people on it and I wasn't one of them. Oh well. Congrats to those that got in. Good luck to those of us still waiting on other places.

Gotcha. Welp, Chicago here I come!

Hello everyone, is there anyone applying for Canadian Grad school? I can see that all of you applied to MIT, Harvard...top 10 school in the US. I'm not that good, and currently applying to SFU in Vancouver....

gipp - same exact thing happened to me. In at Chicago for theoretical and haven't heard from Columbia.

Vanderboy - who exactly did you call? Might seem like a weird question but I don't know what part of the department to call for this.