Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

Unfortunately, this does mean that you didn't make it at Columbia. Several of us have called and been told that if you didn't receive an acceptance by now, you're out. If you call the department program coordinator, Alix Lamia, she will tell you the status of your application. MIT seems to have only rejected organic by now but its not good if you haven't heard back. Still, congratulations on Harvard!

Thanks! I do have some nice options, so plus side, right?

Out of curiosity, has anyone been rejected from Northwestern yet? I called them today and they said my application was with the admissions committee and that they still plan to admit more students. However, based on their acceptances last year, I am rather skeptical of this...

Same situation with me, The AC is with my app they said when I called. I am also skeptical about an acceptance because they rarely accept students this late. I am also waiting on Mich and Cornell. Got rejected by five schools and accepted into four.

I would post all my results when they come out for interest.

I really wanted a top 10 PhD but seems my dream has been trashed

MIT doesn't seem to have send out rejections for inorganic chem. I'm kind of just functioning on the assumption that schools who still haven't told me anything aren't going to accept me.

I just got my rejection from MIT today. Not particularly surprised since I hadn't heard otherwise yet. Oh well, I'm not too bothered because I've already been focusing on the other programs I've been accepted to.

None of my classmates received REJ. All "decision has not been made". They said all decision will be made before the end of Feb. So I think you should wait for one more week.

Out of curiosity, has anyone been rejected from Northwestern yet? I called them today and they said my application was with the admissions committee and that they still plan to admit more students. However, based on their acceptances last year, I am rather skeptical of this...

For those planning to visit Stanford and/or Berkeley, is anyone going on the March 3/4 weekend?

I'll be there that weekend. Getting into SFO early Wednesday afternoon and then heading over to the symposia they hold on Wednesdays.

Can anyone here give me a list of PhD Chemistry Programs that you applied to that waive your application fee regardless of level of income?

Michigan was free because I am a domestic student. Also Minnesota and Madison were free because of an REU I did at Minnesota. If you've done an REU, you can check at that school and affiliated schools to see if they'll waive your fee.

I got an accept frm GaTech last week...

TAMU has sent a mail stating admission decision will be given before 1st march..

I am still waiting for UT-Austin.. Any Clue if no reply frm them yet means a reject??

ps- i hv applied for organic Chem...

Huh...congrats on GATECH.

When did TAMU send the mail.I was not notified.

Hello everybdy!!

I am from India..i have passed my bachelors with 75% aggregate and majors 80% & masters with 65%..I have applied to 8 univs for phd in organic chemistry ..my gre score is 1060 v-390 q-670, toefl is 94 s-24,l-27w-20,r-23...am workin with a reputed mnc since june 2009 (Stability Studies)...am waitin for the replies from universities bt this seems to be sooooooo depressing..when shall i expect an admit..is it on rollin basis o what!???am so panicyyyy..do i hold a chance??

i have applied to

U iowa...u delaware...FIT...FIU...GSU...U cincinnati...indiana bloomington...UTA

help me out plz !!!!!!!!!

Edited by toral

I haven't heard back from Cornell yet either...Has anyone applied and been accepted for Inorganic? I have called and left 3 voicemails for various people and emailed twice over the past month and never even got any response either way. I was accepted to Columbia and I live in CA so I wanted to try to visit them both on the same trip but I guess not...

TAMU waived the application fee for everyone I think. I was accepted by them on Christmas Eve as was one of my friends. (I applied for Inorganic.)

Is it true that since there are few jobs for Physical Chemists, it is a little bit easier for a student to gain entry to a PhD Chemistry Program if they express interest in a Physical Chemistry research group? Thanks.

Is it true that since there are few jobs for Physical Chemists, it is a little bit easier for a student to gain entry to a PhD Chemistry Program if they express interest in a Physical Chemistry research group? Thanks.

It's quite true. Angela Merkel, a physical chemist in Germany, had to find herself a job in an entirely non-scientific field because of the lack of employment opportunities!

Edited by prolixity

It's quite true. Angela Merkel, a physical chemist in Germany, had to find herself a job in an entirely non-scientific field because of the lack of employment opportunities!

If this is the case, then would I have a higher chance of getting accepted into a PhD program if I expressed interest in joining a research group related to Physical Chemistry when I write my Statement of Purpose? Do you select a research group at the moment you apply or you select one after you are admitted?

The history of UK in the 1980's would've been quite different had Margaret Thatcher liked chemistry more than politics.

As an extension to one of my previous questions, did anyone apply to any PhD Programs where the application fee was waived due to low income? In case anyone forgot, the previous question was actually different from this question in that the previous question asked for fee waiver for all applicants regardless of income. Thanks! :)

As an extension to one of my previous questions, did anyone apply to any PhD Programs where the application fee was waived due to low income? In case anyone forgot, the previous question was actually different from this question in that the previous question asked for fee waiver for all applicants regardless of income. Thanks! :)

There were many Univs which didn't have any application fees... Here r the names of few to which i had applied--

Penn State Univ

GaTech

Iowa State Univ

Univ of Utah

Ohio State ($5)

There were many Univs which didn't have any application fees... Here r the names of few to which i had applied--

Penn State Univ

GaTech

Iowa State Univ

Univ of Utah

Ohio State ($5)

Thanks. Not to bump this thread or anything, but can anyone list any other programs that waive application fees for all students? Thanks. I should have asked this sooner because now I don't think people are as active during this time of the year. :(

Has anyone that interviewed at Scripps the first weekend heard back? I haven't gotten any word and am getting somewhat nervous, since it seemed that they implied they would be letting people know very soon after the weekend...

Has anyone that interviewed at Scripps the first weekend heard back? I haven't gotten any word and am getting somewhat nervous, since it seemed that they implied they would be letting people know very soon after the weekend...

I was at the second weekend and heard back yesterday (positively). I imagine they will get back to you soon, probably depends which research groups you were most interested in.

I went the first weekend and I heard back the Monday that I got home.

Besides Scripps, are there any other PhD Chemistry programs that require interviews? And when you mean Scripps, you mean The Scripps Research Institute --- Kellogg School of Science and Technology in La Jolla, CA and Jupiter, FL, right?

I heard back on the following Tuesday, they were pretty quick! I wouldn't worry yet though, maybe they do it by subject area..