Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

Heard from Columbia, Penn, and UC Berkeley yesterday - all three by e-mail. Was a nice little birthday present and took some of the sting out of the first day of classes.

Just waiting on Harvard now.

Edited by BCchemie

A question for those of you who applied to MIT chemistry--did you ever receive a confirmation of your completed application? On the apply web website, it says that the application data was "sent, received, and confirmed," but nothing about if my LORs, transcripts, scores, etc. made it.

With every other school I can either track my status online, or they sent me an email confirming that my application was complete, so I'm a little worried.

Susan E Brighton from MIT's Chemistry office will send you an email if supplementary materials are missing. At least that's what she did with mine. I assume that if you handed in your application before the deadline, they will make an effort to contact you if your file is incomplete. I think you can safely assume your application is complete. If in doubt, just send Susan Brighton an email. She was pretty helpful.

A question for those of you who applied to MIT chemistry--did you ever receive a confirmation of your completed application? On the apply web website, it says that the application data was "sent, received, and confirmed," but nothing about if my LORs, transcripts, scores, etc. made it.

With every other school I can either track my status online, or they sent me an email confirming that my application was complete, so I'm a little worried.

Thanks for the info, Cantorg!

Susan E Brighton from MIT's Chemistry office will send you an email if supplementary materials are missing. At least that's what she did with mine. I assume that if you handed in your application before the deadline, they will make an effort to contact you if your file is incomplete. I think you can safely assume your application is complete. If in doubt, just send Susan Brighton an email. She was pretty helpful.

Hey all,

Applying to Columbia, NYU, Stony Brook (Biochem), Rutgers (Biochem), CUNY Graduate Center (Biochem), The Rockefeller-Weill Cornel-Sloan Chemical Biology Program, and Albert Einstein in addition to Princetons Computational Biology program.

GRE: Q 800 V 610 W 5.0 CHEM 680

Vanderbilt University Chemistry 3.33

3 full years of research in 3 different labs, no publications

Doing some undergrad and grad classes at OSU GPA 3.25

Employed at Chemical Abstract Services for 2.5 years now.

my Recs should be pretty good if not great.

Must say seeing all you guys makes me doubtful about Columbia. Hopefully I'll get in somewhere, could be a rough month.

Speaking of which, any guesses as to when we'll hear from Columbia? It looks like this is a week past the date when decisions were mailed last year but apparently nobody has heard from Columbia yet this year. Or Harvard or Yale for that matter...

Anyone else apply to Harvard and Columbia for chemical physics?

Speaking of which, any guesses as to when we'll hear from Columbia? It looks like this is a week past the date when decisions were mailed last year but apparently nobody has heard from Columbia yet this year. Or Harvard or Yale for that matter...

I got admitted to Columbia yesterday via e-mail.

I was admitted to Columbia on Monday via e-mail. Harvard is usually a little bit later.

I also got an unofficial admission email from Columbia yesterday. (PChem, International student)

Edited by glideht

I spoke with a Columbia professor who told me the first visit is March 4th so they probably need to let people know within the next 3 weeks (which is a long time to wait I know). I most certainly did not receive an acceptance email the other day but I was applying to the biological chemistry track so I don't know if the do the different tracks at different times. Do schools usually send rejections about the same time as acceptances or do they wait to see how many people schedule visits or something?

Looks like my question was answered by the results page.

Yup, saw that too, which made my (short-lived) post irrelevant, lol. Anyway, from last years it seems like Harvard sends acceptances in a batch and then rejects in a batch a few weeks later. So I guess those of us who applied there will know whether we got it in or not based on whether we get an answer in the next few days or not...

Edited by tso123d

I spoke with a Columbia professor who told me the first visit is March 4th so they probably need to let people know within the next 3 weeks (which is a long time to wait I know). I most certainly did not receive an acceptance email the other day but I was applying to the biological chemistry track so I don't know if the do the different tracks at different times. Do schools usually send rejections about the same time as acceptances or do they wait to see how many people schedule visits or something?

I just got an e-mail from Columbia today (!!!) and my letter says they want people interested in chemical biology/biological chemistry/any interdisciplinary biology field to come that first weekend. They're having some sort of reception the 3rd that will include biology professors as well. For everyone else, the other visiting weekend is March 18th. I doubt that means they're admitting the biochem people first, but just fyi.

Waiting on Columbia too for biological chemistry.

Really Really want to go to Columbia. Also i applied to Penn but have heard nothing from them so assume rejection- bleh

Do like Biological chemistry people come last or something? Because all I see are inorganic/organic people. Not fair. I haven't heard from a single school except ones which mass email people at once. But those with rolling admissions, I have heard nothing from.

Waiting on Columbia too for biological chemistry.

Really Really want to go to Columbia. Also i applied to Penn but have heard nothing from them so assume rejection- bleh

Do like Biological chemistry people come last or something? Because all I see are inorganic/organic people. Not fair. I haven't heard from a single school except ones which mass email people at once. But those with rolling admissions, I have heard nothing from.

Hey,

Waiting on Columbia for biological chemistry too. Ya it seems that Organic and Physical people have already heard. Maybe you saw Inorganic that I didn't. It is nerve racking, they may sit down at different times to decide the different tracks or they may even have different committees. I looked through the old results and it seems like people recieve acceptances as late as mid-February in past years.

Here's hoping for good luck for both of us!