What exactly happens on test day?

HopefulGrad2B

Hey everyone. I'll be taking the GRE on Monday for the first time. I'm just wondering if someone could please explain what the test-taking experience is like. I don't mean "subjectively" but more like, does someone at the test center provide you with pencils and scrap paper? When you return your scrap paper at the end, are you allowed to jot down your scores and percentiles before you leave? Is it true that there are lockers for one's possessions? What about lunch/snack items? (Would that be for the breaks? Maybe this varies by test center?) If someone (with a "typical" experience) could describe in a nutshell how their experience proceeded from the moment they arrived at the test center to the moment they left the test center, I would be greatly appreciative. I just don't want to show up on exam day and be all clueless and then have unnecessary added stress. Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone. I'll be taking the GRE on Monday for the first time. I'm just wondering if someone could please explain what the test-taking experience is like. I don't mean "subjectively" but more like, does someone at the test center provide you with pencils and scrap paper? When you return your scrap paper at the end, are you allowed to jot down your scores and percentiles before you leave? Is it true that there are lockers for one's possessions? What about lunch/snack items? (Would that be for the breaks? Maybe this varies by test center?) If someone (with a "typical" experience) could describe in a nutshell how their experience proceeded from the moment they arrived at the test center to the moment they left the test center, I would be greatly appreciative. I just don't want to show up on exam day and be all clueless and then have unnecessary added stress. Thanks in advance!

you go in time. you check in. put stuff in locker. take a coat/hoodie.. sometime they make the damn room very cold. walk into the judgment room. two sharpened pencils and two sheets of paper await you. let the test have its way with you. you can get out for lunch/toilet breaks. you can take breaks when you want. finish the test. before seeing your scores, you will be asked to enter the school codes (you can search for schools if you can't remember the codes). you can't take scrap paper with you when you leave. check out at the desk. get a booze.

you go in time. you check in. put stuff in locker. take a coat/hoodie.. sometime they make the damn room very cold. walk into the judgment room. two sharpened pencils and two sheets of paper await you. let the test have its way with you. you can get out for lunch/toilet breaks. you can take breaks when you want. finish the test. before seeing your scores, you will be asked to enter the school codes (you can search for schools if you can't remember the codes). you can't take scrap paper with you when you leave. check out at the desk. get a booze.

This was basically my experience, with some minor differences. Before entering the room, I needed to turn my pockets inside out, and a metal-detecting wand was also used (though I think you can opt out of this one). I seem to recall that I entered the score recipients after seeing my scores. And testers were allowed to jot down their scores on another scrap of paper that is provided (not the scratch paper booklet) after finishing the test.

Wow... you had your pockets checked?! I had SUCH a different aka BAD experience with the paper-based test in China... not even going to post it because I am sure some ETS intern is scanning these forums looking for GRE discussions. I think it really depends on where you are taking it.

Thanks for the recent additions to this thread. I'll be testing in Manhattan. I feel confident in both my preparation and in knowing more or less what to expect logistically. I'll be sure to post here if my experience differs in any unusual way (or to confirm that it follows the "typical" exam experience). Wish me luck!

This was basically my experience, with some minor differences. Before entering the room, I needed to turn my pockets inside out, and a metal-detecting wand was also used...

yea, really? pocket check? that's bizarre, and obnoxious.

Really???

Can I get a break during the test whenever I want?!

i can't remember if they had a limit of 2 or 3 breaks.. too many breaks for a <3 hrs test is suspicious. but basically, you raise your hand (as they're watching you on the cam) or walk up to the window, and tell them you need out.

i can't remember if they had a limit of 2 or 3 breaks.. too many breaks for a <3 hrs test is suspicious. but basically, you raise your hand (as they're watching you on the cam) or walk up to the window, and tell them you need out

Well,I think 1 or 2 breaks would be enough.

Yes, but you can't stop the timer. So you should really only take that 10 minute break between the essays and the first multiple choice section.

That would be fine.

Hey everyone. I just wanted to confirm that my experience pretty much followed the norm others described earlier, with one little difference. I took the 10 minute break after the AWA section and then when I was back and ready to start, one of the test center people was like, "Whoops I forgot to set up your machine to continue..." I had a mild panic attack inside... I had felt so good about the essays and I thought perhaps b/c of some dumb error on their part that I might have to re-test... but it was just some little technical matter where they were supposed to make it so that I could continue the exam after the break. *Whew* The two sections came in a different order from the way I had usually practiced which was a surprise but it actually ended up working to my advantage. It went well in the end! 800V, 780Q and I'll find out about the essays soon enough. *Whew* I can officially move on with my life!!!

Good luck to everyone else out there!

• 11 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd post here instead of opening a new one. I'm actually curious about the types of pencils that they give you for the GRE--I'm weridly picky about my pencils and I usually only like mechanical ones. For non-mechanical, I freak out if the point isn't super sharp (lol, OCD I know). So what's the pencil sitch? Is anyone else weird like me?

My pencils were blue with a GRE or ETS logo on it - round, not hexagonal. Sharpened like they were going to be used for surgery. My only complaint was that the paper was a medium blue that made it very hard to read the pencil marks/writing/numbers on my paper.

My pencils were blue with a GRE or ETS logo on it - round, not hexagonal. Sharpened like they were going to be used for surgery. My only complaint was that the paper was a medium blue that made it very hard to read the pencil marks/writing/numbers on my paper.

Thanks, that's good to know--I'm not really a fan of round pencils, and it sucks that the paper is blue (is it regular 8.5x11 at least?), but at least I'll be a little more prepared about what to expect. Ugh. Test anxiety.

Thanks, that's good to know--I'm not really a fan of round pencils, and it sucks that the paper is blue (is it regular 8.5x11 at least?), but at least I'll be a little more prepared about what to expect. Ugh. Test anxiety.

At my testing center, if you ran out of paper they let you trade in one of your used sheets for a new sheet. (And the paper was yellow.)

My paper was a booklet-like thing of pink paper. Lol. I think they gave us regular yellow number 2 pencils. I had a little freak out moment the week before when I realized I wasn't going to be able to use a pen for doing calculations - I am weird about sensory stuff and the feel of a pen on paper is much nicer to me. I managed to get over it with no ill effects. :)

I also had my picture taken - it showed up on the screen when I was starting the test and again after the break. They offered a sticky note to write down my scores after I got out of the testing room but I didn't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you bring your school codes in with you or do you have to use their database (or memory)?

I'm going to say no, you won't be able to take the school codes in. You will have to find them in the database. I can't remember exactly how it worked, but I do remember that you pick the school you're currently attending before you take the test, then choose where you want the scores sent afterwards. It was a little confusing just because I didn't know they were going to ask about my current school.

The person who could take school codes in was fortunate to be testing in a nice Center.

At my center, we were forbidden to talk even before entering the test room, were not even allowed to look at the school codes even before entering the test room, forget about carrying the codes in on a piece of paper, had our pockets turned inside out, we were scanned with a metal detector and a surveillance camera, were not allowed anything inside except our passports, even wrist watch had to be taken off and kept in the locker, during the test, when we raised hand, it was seldom that anyone appeared, on the whole the staff was rude, hostile and most unhelpful. Two pencils and 4 sheets were provided by the staff and we could ask for more paper during the test.

While selecting schools, we had a choice between 2 lists - one by school code and the other by the American States - if you forgot your School code and couldn't remember the State's name, there was no way you could select your school and the staff wouldn't help you with the list of school codes - despite a promise in advance that they were going to help us find the school codes. I do wish that they would provide the school name list apart from the code list, rather than having the US State list.