Cultural question on SoP

Hello!

I'm not American and I'm applying to US gradschools in Public-Policy (HKS, SIPA etc.)

I have written two SoP : one is classic, clear I think, compelling but not very original in its form. The other one provides the same content but in a very original way (it's only dialogues between me and people who were important to my career. The dialogues guide the reader through my background, the reasons I'm applying etc, again, same content, but way more vivid).

Each and every American that I met told me that my SoP was about making me stand out. But can it be too much? Is Creativity encouraged? Can a SoP be original in its structure?

Thank your for your answers, again, I don't know the American culture enough to "feel what is right".

Thanks...

I am not an American as well, but I think that SOP in dialogues is too much! :)

Your statement must indeed make you stand out but in a professional, academic way. Adcoms will choose you because they like your research and your skills but not because you are a new James Joyce :P

I strongly believe that too much creativity is bad for your SOP.

Adcoms will have a lot of SOPs to read and they like them to be clear and concise - not convoluted and pretentious. A SOP that is too creatively written may even put adcoms against you, IMHO.

I am not an American as well, but I think that SOP in dialogues is too much! :)

Your statement must indeed make you stand out but in a professional, academic way. Adcoms will choose you because they like your research and your skills but not because you are a new James Joyce :P

I strongly believe that too much creativity is bad for your SOP.

Adcoms will have a lot of SOPs to read and they like them to be clear and concise - not convoluted and pretentious. A SOP that is too creatively written may even put adcoms against you, IMHO.

I second this. Even if you were applying to MFA programs in creative writing I would caution against a "creative" SOP. You need to present yourself as a professional.

Even though this format is not particularly innovative, the key (and challenge) is to make yourself and your proposed research project shine through as creative and intriguing. In other words, weigh content over form.

For the record, for what it's worth, I'm an American. :)

Thank you both! Your answers are unequivocal :-D! I'll play it safe then.

I still feel deeply sorry for the Admissions Committee who have to go through thousands of boring essays (at some point, the form impacts the content no matter how clear and original is your study objective or your background...)

Thanks you very much!

Each and every American that I met told me that my SoP was about making me stand out. But can it be too much? Is Creativity encouraged? Can a SoP be original in its structure?

creativity is nice, but too much is overkill. one of my friends (US citizen) in a different major, an excellent scholar and great personality, went out of the line to be creative in his SoP, and got rejected by 6 of the 7 schools he applied to. an example i frequently recall to remind me that overdoing certain things can backfire.

as previous posters have outlined, be professional in the SoP. mention the research and other experiences you've had so far and present them in a way that makes you stand out from others. i usually prefer the classical style of writing, minus the story part (eg: when i was 8 year old, my grandpa took me too a zoo, and that's when i started loving chimps). i like to mention few key points about how the situation in my place/town/country has driven me to pursue a degree in certain field, but without beating my drums too loud. swift, but subtle. and yea, i'd too throw out the dialogue part.

fwiw, i am an int'l student as well.

one of my friends (US citizen) in a different major, an excellent scholar and great personality, went out of the line to be creative in his SoP, and got rejected by 6 of the 7 schools he applied to.

I am just curious: how exactly did he write his SOP? Was it a poem or something? ;)

not a poem, worse. apparently, dude (he was some anthro/humanities major i think) tried to link the story of star wars with what he wanted to do in his grad program. idk how well he connected that story with his life, but one of my other friend who was roommate with this guy later told me that his star wars story occupied about half the length of his SoP. in my culture, this type of situation is referred to as 'monkey talent ball damage' hehe.. :D

not a poem, worse. apparently, dude (he was some anthro/humanities major i think) tried to link the story of star wars with what he wanted to do in his grad program. idk how well he connected that story with his life, but one of my other friend who was roommate with this guy later told me that his star wars story occupied about half the length of his SoP. in my culture, this type of situation is referred to as 'monkey talent ball damage' hehe.. :D

STAR WARS??? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::blink::lol: