Applying to PhDs as college senior?

university99

Hi everyone, how is the current outlook for students in their senior year of college? My main issue is that my transcript (which has a very good GPA) is only current for the first 3 years, and the transcripts I have to send won't have this semester's grades on them since I have to send them by January.

Do schools have judgment against current seniors? Even those who have good GPAs/GREs/research experience? Thanks!

Hi everyone, how is the current outlook for students in their senior year of college? My main issue is that my transcript (which has a very good GPA) is only current for the first 3 years, and the transcripts I have to send won't have this semester's grades on them since I have to send them by January.

Do schools have judgment against current seniors? Even those who have good GPAs/GREs/research experience? Thanks!

I think you just have to resend official transcripts once you graduate. It won't bias against you unless you suddenly decide to bomb your last semester.

I think you just have to resend official transcripts once you graduate. It won't bias against you unless you suddenly decide to bomb your last semester.

What about in terms of admissions? Will adcoms consider my transcript less worthy than someone else's with the same GPA that's through all 4 years?

What about in terms of admissions? Will adcoms consider my transcript less worthy than someone else's with the same GPA that's through all 4 years?

I don't think that matters. Grade is important... not the number of semesters :)

and besides, like the person above said, they will ask you for a midyear grade report(when you're accepted) if they want to see your senior transcript.

Good luck! I'm also a college senior applying for Ph.D programs...

The issue is less the value of your transcript than the extra research experience you have likely missed out on. Many applicants are coming from post-baccalaureate research positions, assistantships, or lab manager jobs where they have been working on research full time and can get extremely positive letters of recommendation. If your research experience is really that good, then I don't think being a senior puts you at much of a disadvantage (maybe very slightly if it makes you seem less mature compared to post-bac applicants), but it would be difficult to have research experience that is that good.

That said, many people do apply as seniors and get offers. Best of luck!

Edited by socialpsych

• 3 weeks later...

The issue is less the value of your transcript than the extra research experience you have likely missed out on. Many applicants are coming from post-baccalaureate research positions, assistantships, or lab manager jobs where they have been working on research full time and can get extremely positive letters of recommendation. If your research experience is really that good, then I don't think being a senior puts you at much of a disadvantage (maybe very slightly if it makes you seem less mature compared to post-bac applicants), but it would be difficult to have research experience that is that good.

That said, many people do apply as seniors and get offers. Best of luck!

I'd really like to know the percentage of those who get into Psychology PhD programs strait from undergrad opposed to those who take some time off.

For me, almost everyone I met outside of my college suggested to take time off before applying. But everyone who knew me well at my school suggested I apply now.

The research experience seems to be the most important factor in admissions. Thus, those taking time off are more likely to acquire more experience it seems.

I'd really like to know the percentage of those who get into Psychology PhD programs strait from undergrad opposed to those who take some time off.

For me, almost everyone I met outside of my college suggested to take time off before applying. But everyone who knew me well at my school suggested I apply now.

The research experience seems to be the most important factor in admissions. Thus, those taking time off are more likely to acquire more experience it seems.

I don't know percentages but at the program where I am getting my masters (not very highly ranked as it is a growing program rather than an established one), more than half of the incoming class (4 of 6) came straight from undergrad and the other two took a few years off. At least one of the straight from undergrad students chose between multiple offers.

Edited by LJK

I don't know percentages but at the program where I am getting my masters (not very highly ranked as it is a growing program rather than an established one), more than half of the incoming class (4 of 6) came straight from undergrad and the other two took a few years off. At least one of the straight from undergrad students chose between multiple offers.

In my program the majority come in straight from undergrad. In my cohort a couple didn't but it is common for people to come from undergrad in my department in general.

In my program the majority come in straight from undergrad. In my cohort a couple didn't but it is common for people to come from undergrad in my department in general.

I'm a current lab manager/research associate at Pitt, and half of the Fall 2010 cognitive cohort did related research positions or something completely different (one was a classically trained opera singer?!). Anywho, I'm doing my second round of applications, and find that I learned much more at Pitt in terms of research at an R1 school compared to my small liberal arts college. Still, in undergrad I did research in psychology from Day 1. So it varies.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in my first year of my Ph.D. and came straight out of undergraduate. I would say (of my entire cohort--so every area of psych here) 5 of us our straight out of undergrad while the others are from masters programs or time off. I am not sure how common it is, but all of us straight out of undergrad had multiple offers. Basically, given a strong application, especially research, you shouldn't be too worried because it does happen. Best of Luck!! :)

Edited by juror#1

In my cohort (Psychology, PhD), 25% were straight from undergrad and at least one person was wait-listed for quite a while before being accepted. Obviously that percentage is based on attending, not accepted, although most people I met on the interview circuit last year had post-undergrad research experience.

Research experience and letter of recommendation from the person(s) with whom you did the research are highly (if not the most) important factors for getting into a program; if you have a lot of research background and good recommendations, regardless of post-grad work, it will work in your favor.

I think you would also need to know the percentage of applicants who are undergrads vs. taking time off...even if 60% of admits are straight from undergrad, that doesn't mean it is easy to get in as an undergrad if 90% of applicants are undergrads.

Not saying that these stats are remotely true; just using this as an example. In reality, though, I would guess that significantly more than 50% of applicants are undergrads.

Edited by socialpsych