Women's Studies 2011

Lilith

Quite honestly, if I were you, I would go with the funded offer. It's never a good idea to take out loans when you can benefit from the same sort of education for free or maybe even a minimal price. And even if we don't look at the finances, the weather in FL will definitely be better (aka warmer) than in NJ for sure! :D Also, it is important that you find what your right fit is in terms of disciplinary (or interdisciplinary) interests.

I feel that Rutgers is a better fit, in terms of my own interests, significantly better. There is one professor that I know would be a good fit at UF (it was my alma mateur and I know her personally), but even her specialty is different than mine. I suppose my biggest issue is that there are so few professors to choose from. However, I do feel your hesitation about the loans, hence the post!

P.S. The winters in Florida are great, but every other time Gainesville is a sauna!

I feel that Rutgers is a better fit, in terms of my own interests, significantly better. There is one professor that I know would be a good fit at UF (it was my alma mateur and I know her personally), but even her specialty is different than mine. I suppose my biggest issue is that there are so few professors to choose from. However, I do feel your hesitation about the loans, hence the post!

P.S. The winters in Florida are great, but every other time Gainesville is a sauna!

Sometimes, it helps to check faculty in other departments because the education system here in the US is so flexible that one can easily manage to research across multiple departments. Have you tried looking at any other faculty profiles outside the GWS department at UF to see if your interests might click? I know for sure it is crucial to find the right adviser and mentors for doctorate, but for master's, the degrees are mostly taught until those last few months when you begin working on your thesis, which will likely be via independent research. So mostly in the initial stages of a master's level, one would be brushing up and advancing one's research skills and trying to focus on an area within or related to GWS while still exploring multiple interests. That's what I think although this opinion might vary across departments and programs. I wish you the very best in deciding where you'd like to see yourself in the next two years! :)

Sometimes, it helps to check faculty in other departments because the education system here in the US is so flexible that one can easily manage to research across multiple departments. Have you tried looking at any other faculty profiles outside the GWS department at UF to see if your interests might click? I know for sure it is crucial to find the right adviser and mentors for doctorate, but for master's, the degrees are mostly taught until those last few months when you begin working on your thesis, which will likely be via independent research. So mostly in the initial stages of a master's level, one would be brushing up and advancing one's research skills and trying to focus on an area within or related to GWS while still exploring multiple interests. That's what I think although this opinion might vary across departments and programs. I wish you the very best in deciding where you'd like to see yourself in the next two years! :)

Thank you :)

Wow, you are offered funding during your M.A.? That's a nice deal!! I had to work through mine and I was horribly depressed and overworked. If you're gonna have to take out loans for Rutgers it is possible that cost of living might deplete your resources and might force you to look for work. Look very carefully at the area you will be moving and budget everything! I was doing a full-time M.A. program, working at a non-profit and trying to write my thesis all at once. If your funding and personal resources won't cover everything, then you'd have to find $ elsewhere. It sucks to have to work and do a rigorous academic program at the same time and I don't want to see you suffer. :)

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to choose a Master's program? I am balancing a fully funded offer with a TA position from the University of Florida and the Rutgers master's program, which won't give me any money. Rutgers isn't terribly expensive, but it's still a loan, which is very scary. I have money for the living expenses because I've been working so much, but the TA position from UF will still look great on a resume. I know Rutgers has better connections and UF doesn't, but at what point does the money trump that? Does anyone going into PhD programs now have any input on the matter? I might want to get a PhD in the future, or make it a terminal degree. I am still not very sure.

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to choose a Master's program? I am balancing a fully funded offer with a TA position from the University of Florida and the Rutgers master's program, which won't give me any money. Rutgers isn't terribly expensive, but it's still a loan, which is very scary. I have money for the living expenses because I've been working so much, but the TA position from UF will still look great on a resume. I know Rutgers has better connections and UF doesn't, but at what point does the money trump that? Does anyone going into PhD programs now have any input on the matter? I might want to get a PhD in the future, or make it a terminal degree. I am still not very sure.

You said in another post that Rutgers is a better fit -it also has a GREAT reputation (not to imply anything about UF's reputation - in fact, I don't know anything about UF, so this should be taken with a grain of salt), and a great network of faculty and students. If you are planning on continuing to a PhD, I would advise you to choose Rutgers. Their WGS program is the most reputable in the country, their faculty are well-known, and the proximity to NYC brings you into an elite network of faculty from not only Rutgers, but other schools in the area.

good luck with your choice!!

Edited by kateg212

Coffee, (and anyone else who's decided!), I'm in the midst of deciding between 2 programs, and I'm very torn. I'm wondering if there is anything you could share about how you made your decision. What helped you the most? Did you visit? Did you meet the faculty? Was it the funding? I'd really appreciate the help! :)

I accepted UCSB's amazing offer tonight. I love the department, the current grad students, everything. I feel very comfortable with my decision.

I love the area. I'm big on the outdoors, hiking, horseback riding, camping etc and there's a lot of that in Texas. I have friends in Texas as well, and I want to lead a more balanced lifestyle than I have been at my current program.

TWU's faculty are so flexible, thoughtful and helpful. The students give good reviews and are doing awesome things after graduation. It was nice to see that the graduates were equally represented in academics and activism. The school is small with a teaching focus. My previous university was huge and I felt lost with so many students.

It was good to see that everything is clearly explained to incoming students and all of the resources centralized; I didn't have to go to a billion places for all the information I need. I like how the curriculum is structured. The department requires these annual reports submitted by doctoral students at the end of each year, intended to help students develop as a professional. They'll ask you about your teaching feedback/rating. What have you submitted? What're you currently working on submitting? They want to know what progress are you are making and have structured the program to ensure that you're meeting your professional and academic goals. I am a very hands-on kind of learner and I do well with deadlines and clearly explained protocol. I could have easily progressed to the Ph.D. with my current program, but the department is ridiculously unorganized and graduate students hardly know what they're supposed to be doing. They offer few or no courses dedicated to pedagogy (you have to go outside of the department), so I was not too keen on the extreme level of "independence" my current program insists upon. I wanted a program that stressed teaching, so the curriculum was important. I actually read through the coursework and asked profs for past syllabi. The icing on the cake was the renewable funding and scholarships.

My key word in deciding where to apply and where to go is "balance". Where will you be happiest (considering location, weather etc)? What sort of qualities do you seek in ideal programs? What kind of learner are you? What kind of support can the school really offer you, reputation aside? What do you want to do with your degree? These are all questions you should ask yourself and have certainly helped me quite a bit in the decision making process.

Coffee, (and anyone else who's decided!), I'm in the midst of deciding between 2 programs, and I'm very torn. I'm wondering if there is anything you could share about how you made your decision. What helped you the most? Did you visit? Did you meet the faculty? Was it the funding? I'd really appreciate the help! :)

Edited by SusieQ

I was wondering if some of you are still waiting on admission decisions from universities. I applied to 8 programs, and only received 3 official responses so far. Do you think that the fact that I am still waiting means that I am somehow on the unofficial waiting list, or rather that they have already sent acceptances to the accepted students and not responded yet to the others?

I would just like to be able to move on and start thinking of other possibilities in case this is not working...

I was wondering if some of you are still waiting on admission decisions from universities. I applied to 8 programs, and only received 3 official responses so far. Do you think that the fact that I am still waiting means that I am somehow on the unofficial waiting list, or rather that they have already sent acceptances to the accepted students and not responded yet to the others?

I would just like to be able to move on and start thinking of other possibilities in case this is not working...

Some schools take time to make their decisions because of the number of application or maybe they are just waiting to hear about internal funding and stuff like that. I wouldn't give up hope until at least the first week of April. If you were waitlisted, they would have told you. The reason you haven't heard is likely to be that they are still making decisions or on the negative side, the schools might inform its non-acceptances toward the end. Keep up the hope though, and you shall hear from those schools soon; it might be a good idea to drop them an email if you were curious. Who knows the acceptance letter might have gotten lost in snail mail? :)

I'm still waiting on 3 programs too. One is a Canadian school and, I've heard, is apparently notorious for late responses! It's super frustrating because 2 of the schools I've yet to hear back from are amongst my top choices! I'm just so stressed out about this whole process and would really love to know where I'm living next year! Anyway, I think if I don't hear back by the beginning of next week, I'll likely email them and inquire about my status. It's mid March and I want to give my other programs a timely response, you know?

Anyway, best of luck to you! :)

Thanks for your input! It sounds like you have made a great decision and that you'll be very happy there! That's wonderful. I didn't realize that, for me, deciding between programs would be the hardest part of this process. I feel like I'm close to a decision now, especially after getting some good feedback here and elsewhere.

Which makes me think...I wish there was a venue or outlet that those of us who will be in Women's and Gender studies doctoral programs could have to stay connected with each other and support one another as I've seen here. I know there is a NWSA graduate student group but I am not sure if they are active or what they have done previously.

Anyway...Best of luck to you!

I love the area. I'm big on the outdoors, hiking, horseback riding, camping etc and there's a lot of that in Texas. I have friends in Texas as well, and I want to lead a more balanced lifestyle than I have been at my current program. TWU's faculty are so flexible, thoughtful and helpful. ... The school is small with a teaching focus. My previous university was huge and I felt lost with so many students. It was good to see that everything is clearly explained to incoming students and all of the resources centralized; I didn't have to go to a billion places for all the information I need. I like how the curriculum is structured. ...

Thanks!

I'm still waiting on 3 programs too. One is a Canadian school and, I've heard, is apparently notorious for late responses! It's super frustrating because 2 of the schools I've yet to hear back from are amongst my top choices! I'm just so stressed out about this whole process and would really love to know where I'm living next year! Anyway, I think if I don't hear back by the beginning of next week, I'll likely email them and inquire about my status. It's mid March and I want to give my other programs a timely response, you know?

Anyway, best of luck to you! :)

Thanks for your advice!

Some schools take time to make their decisions because of the number of application or maybe they are just waiting to hear about internal funding and stuff like that. I wouldn't give up hope until at least the first week of April. If you were waitlisted, they would have told you. The reason you haven't heard is likely to be that they are still making decisions or on the negative side, the schools might inform its non-acceptances toward the end. Keep up the hope though, and you shall hear from those schools soon; it might be a good idea to drop them an email if you were curious. Who knows the acceptance letter might have gotten lost in snail mail? :)

I didn't get into University of British Columbia, which was my top choice. So now I'm all depressed and sad. BUT I feel very fortunate to have many great options. This one just really sucks though. sad.gif

Canadian universities have far more applicants than US universities because there are only a few of them for the entire country, so don't get discouraged. Most likely, it might not have been a good fit for your research interests, which is the reason they let you go. But you have other awesome choices, so yay!!

Amazing news!! Congrats! That's fantastic to have such good funding!

Holy Cow!! I was just offered a diversity fellowship at UT Austin. Full tuition waiver, $16,000 stipend, and health insurance!! Yay!!!! This is unbelievable!! I was starting to think that I would have to self fund grad school! Glad that's not the case! :)

Holy Cow!! I was just offered a diversity fellowship at UT Austin. Full tuition waiver, $16,000 stipend, and health insurance!! Yay!!!! This is unbelievable!! I was starting to think that I would have to self fund grad school! Glad that's not the case! :)

Congrats!! So does UT seem to be the final choice? :D

Congrats!! So does UT seem to be the final choice? :D

I'm still not sure yet.. It's certainly up there but I've just heard that I've been accepted to San Francisco State which is also in my top 3 but I'm still awaiting funding decisions from them. I'll definitely have a lot of thinking to do with I hear back about funding from SFSU. BUT it's such a great offer, I'm not sure if I'll be able to pass it up! biggrin.gif

Hey everyone! So I was wait listed at UBC and I found out this week they have accepted me. UBC was the only WGS program I applied to, I'm finishing up a masters in Politics (and I am thinking of continuing here and getting a PHD in politics)--I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on future job prospects with a degree in WGS versus a traditional disciplinary degree. With all of the Uni's cutting budgets WGS positions are some of the first to go. any thoughts?

You should consider some alternatives, such as working as community college faculty (teaching), activism/adovacy or non-profit work. It all depends on what you want to do, so you really want to look at your particular degrees, the market and your personal goals. Have you considered doing interdisciplinary work in WGS and Politics if you're taken off the waitlist? That way, you could apply for more varied positions. I have an M.A. in Criminal Justice/Justice Studies and I chose a program with a transdisciplinary/interdisciplinary emphasis for my doctorate so I have more marketability after I complete my degree. I think that having a varied academic background can help set you apart from other applicants, especially those who have a "streamlined" education (i.e.: same discipline from B.A. to Ph.D.). The more skills and knowledge you can offer (and how you make connections among the varied disciplines) the better.

Hey everyone! So I was wait listed at UBC and I found out this week they have accepted me. UBC was the only WGS program I applied to, I'm finishing up a masters in Politics (and I am thinking of continuing here and getting a PHD in politics)--I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on future job prospects with a degree in WGS versus a traditional disciplinary degree. With all of the Uni's cutting budgets WGS positions are some of the first to go. any thoughts?

Edited by SusieQ

Has anyone heard back from Oxford who applied at the January deadline? Assuming it's a no since I haven't heard, but it would still be nice to hear. Knowing would be a great help, as I'm having a tough time trying to decide between Chicago's MAPH program and Brandeis' WGS!