Women's Studies 2011

Lilith

• 2 weeks later...

I am :) Actually, I'm already done with all my applications. Since I'm an international student my deadlines mostly hovered around Dec 1st.

Where are you going to apply for grad school? What are your research interests?

I applied to: Bloomington, UMD, Ohio State, University of Minnesota, University of Arizona, Emory, Rutgers. I also applied to some programs which had concentrations in WGST,

such as Georgia State (Sociology), UC Davis (Cultural Studies), and Yale (Sociology) -- I only applied to Yale though because one of my recommenders knows someone of the

grad school committee there rolleyes.gif

My research interests involve: Queer Theory, LGBTQ Studies, Cultural Studies, Poststructuralism, Social Constructivism etc.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I'm applying to Women's Studies programs and so far no good news yet. I heard back from Feminist Studies at Minnesota-- Rejected. It seems that they chose their candidates very early on, so if you haven't heard yet from there it's likely not good news.

Has anyone applying to Emory been invited to interview? I've been checking the GradCafe results page for any information but so far no one has posted about Women's Studies interviews... but this is around the the time they usually give them out.

Congrats, Lilith! I really like the faculty there-- lots of amazing feminist scholars at UMN in the humanities. What are your research interests?

It's early, but not that early. A lot of Women's Studies depts. are pretty small, and they usually let people who get in know sooner rather than later. I'm just hoping for one offer... somewhere, anywhere! Rutgers lets people know in late Feb., from what I've heard in the past.

I applied to Wisconsin's Masters program. This is the only Women's Studies program I applied to, but my commitment to feminist analysis in all aspects of my research is unyielding. I casually looked at some programs in Women's Studies and Wisconsin's program is an unusually strong fit for me. All my materials are in, but the deadline was January 15th and there are only two reports (rejections) on the survey page so I'm not too positive when I'll hear back (maybe early March?). I would love to attend this program, but I *have* to receive some kind of funding (which is unlikely).

ETA: Never mind, I just looked it back up on the results page. An early March rejection last year and an early February acceptance in 2008. Still not much to go by. Get me off of this site!

Edited by fbh

lol, fbh! I KNOW! I am in the same boat. Searching the results page feels like reading tea leaves, doesn't it? I would recommend using the results search as a rough guideline, but don't expect decisions on the same days or anything. For example, Emory interview invites for women's studies are late this year-- by a lot. Don't fret!

What other programs have you applied to? What are your research interests?

Yeah, I need to stay off of the results page. Someone posted an interview from one of the other programs I'm applying to, but I swear that program doesn't even do interviews! There's no history of them anywhere else I can see... I want to shout TROLL! but it's also wishful thinking since I haven't heard anything from this program yet.

I'm more willing to talk more specifically about my research interests and other programs via PM. Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone,

Finally some life into this thread...it's been so long I've been tracking this thread offline, and now that I see people buzzing around in the heat of the moment, I finally decided to join the site and participate in the discussions. I am starting my last semester of college soon, as I believe many of you are, and have applied in the cycle of grad school admissions for fall 2011 (one doctorate and four master's programs). I've applied to five schools, which I thought would best fit my research interests, and most of all, the ones who I think will be able to fund me through the years of study and research. It looks from all the former discussions that the schools usually start revealing their decisions anywhere from January to the end of summer (the general trend being Feb.-Mar.). I've already heard back (positively) from one of the schools, but the funding decision is pending, which will prove to be ultimately the major deciding factor of which school I choose to attend.

I can't wait to hear from all of you amidst all the waiting...

Good luck to all!

--Your fellow feminist.

Edited by feminist21

I am :) Actually, I'm already done with all my applications. Since I'm an international student my deadlines mostly hovered around Dec 1st.

Where are you going to apply for grad school? What are your research interests?

I applied to: Bloomington, UMD, Ohio State, University of Minnesota, University of Arizona, Emory, Rutgers. I also applied to some programs which had concentrations in WGST,

such as Georgia State (Sociology), UC Davis (Cultural Studies), and Yale (Sociology) -- I only applied to Yale though because one of my recommenders knows someone of the

grad school committee there rolleyes.gif

My research interests involve: Queer Theory, LGBTQ Studies, Cultural Studies, Poststructuralism, Social Constructivism etc.

Hey there, I couldn't help noticing that we have both applied to OSU for fall 2011 (did you apply for their masters or the doctorate?); any news about the decisions from them or from any other school you applied to? :D

Edited by feminist21

I got an offer from UMN. Nothing from other schools. I guess it is still early...

Congrats on the acceptance, Lilith! Did you apply to one of the combined programs University of Minnesota offers? I noticed their English and Women's Studies Department looked quite good. :) Did you get the full funding offer at the same time as well?

Welcome, feminist21! I myself am actually applying to Ph.D. programs only, since I am applying as I finish my master's degree. Good luck, we don't have too much longer to wait.

And yes, funding is so important right now... I only applied to places where I would have a good chance of funding if admitted. Luckily, it seems that most women's studies ph.d. programs are small and decently funded.

Welcome, feminist21! I myself am actually applying to Ph.D. programs only, since I am applying as I finish my master's degree. Good luck, we don't have too much longer to wait.

And yes, funding is so important right now... I only applied to places where I would have a good chance of funding if admitted. Luckily, it seems that most women's studies ph.d. programs are small and decently funded.

Hey coffeem8,

Great to hear from you. I only applied to one PhD program and all the other Master's since I am just finishing college. I applied to all places with guaranteed funding except for one, and the irony is I got accepted into that one and now have to wait for its funding decision besides waiting on admission/rejection+funding decisions from the ones with guaranteed funding. Also, everyone is going to be sending out decisions at different times, which means that there is very much a possibility I might have to accept an offer by the deadline before hearing from the others; hopefully, all of the decisions should be in by March, but you never know with the waitlists and all...I hope to hear from Ohio State in February since I think that was the time when they started notifying everyone last year. How's your wait coming along? Any positive news yet? I saw you applied to UCLA; housing near the campus is going to be super-duper expensive there!

Nothing on my end yet. And yes, finding housing at both the UC schools I applied would indeed be a huge burden. Luckily, I have been saving money just in case I do get in at either school. I've been searching the results archive and in the past, it seems like UCLA and UCSB tend to call their accepted students the last week in January, so here's hoping I get some good news from either of those places this week. I'm getting kind of nervous because I heard a lot more people are applying for ph.d.'s in the humanities than previous years, so competition is particularly stiff.

And feminist21, congratulations on your acceptance! I'm sure there is more good news on the way for you.

Nothing on my end yet. And yes, finding housing at both the UC schools I applied would indeed be a huge burden. Luckily, I have been saving money just in case I do get in at either school. I've been searching the results archive and in the past, it seems like UCLA and UCSB tend to call their accepted students the last week in January, so here's hoping I get some good news from either of those places this week. I'm getting kind of nervous because I heard a lot more people are applying for ph.d.'s in the humanities than previous years, so competition is particularly stiff.

And feminist21, congratulations on your acceptance! I'm sure there is more good news on the way for you.

Good luck, and I hope you hear some positive news very soon!! Yup, the competition seems to very tough for both admissions and funding, especially since the economies worldwide have only recently begun to recover from the recession. I am counting on funding for furthering my education; it is going to be very hard/impossible otherwise...

I was waitlisted at U Minnesota yesterday. They told me in an email that they offered admission to only 3 applicants this time. They also added that I made it into the first tier and that they would consider my application again if one of the accepted applicants declined their offer....which I guess was just a nice way of saying: Well, that's too bad you didn't make it into our program. Try again next year :-/

dunkelbluecola, that's actually very high praise, though it probably doesn't seem like it now. I was actually really, really bummed that I was rejected at UMN, since I contacted many, many profs in the dept. and they all encouraged me to apply (maybe they do that with everyone, who knows). And I received a really crappy rejection (lol, it didn't even offer the usual excuse about "more competition this year"), so the fact that you actually received positive feedback is very encouraging. It means you have a strong application! You'll almost definitely receive some firm offers from other schools. And when they say "try again next year", they really mean it. They don't just say that for their own health.

And, I heard some news last night! It's too early to say, but I *think* I'm in somewhere-- very unofficially, so I'll let you guys know in a couple of days when/if I have a firm offer. It was from one of the UC's.

Congrats to all those who have received acceptances! UCLA is the only WS program I applied to, the rest being Sociology, but my research areas all focus on feminist/gender issues. Here's hoping for a good few weeks for us all! :)

I applied to UC Davis' Cultural Studies program with an emphasis on Gender Studies of course, aaaaaand I GOT IN!!!! I just received an email from their department and some guy wants to talk to me on the phone now and explain the program to me and stuff. I am so thrilled biggrin.gif