Women's Studies 2011

Lilith

I saw someone mention that housing in Los Angeles is expensive. To give folks an idea, I have a friend attending UCLA living about 20 minutes away from campus, sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate, and he's paying $800 a month. There goes your stipend...

soulinmyfist, I have no idea how many people were accepted, they didn't say. I think they usually accept 5-8 people, but since most departments are cutting back due to finances, it could be less. I haven't really heard much of anything from them yet, actually. Just that I'm accepted, they want to fly me out in March, and they'll let me know about my funding package later on. I will absolutely let you know when I hear more, though.

And yes, LA is ungodly expensive, but it's actually not all that much more expensive than where I'm currently living, in the middle of nowhere New England. I'll probably have to go with either campus housing or a house/apartment share if I end up at UCLA. Luckily, my partner is moving out there with me, and we expect to share living expenses together.

UCSB just emailed me to let me know that they've nominated me for a central fellowship, and provided that I get it, I am in with funding. I won't know the outcome of the university-wide competition until February, but they told me it has never been a problem in the past.

I was invited to the recruitment event in March, also, so if you've applied to UCSB, check your email inboxes.

update: aww, I just got a really nice note from a potential advisor at UCSB, just inviting me to keep in touch if I have any questions.

:)

Edited by coffeem8

UCSB just emailed me to let me know that they've nominated me for a central fellowship, and provided that I get it, I am in with funding. I won't know the outcome of the university-wide competition until February, but they told me it has never been a problem in the past.

I was invited to the recruitment event in March, also, so if you've applied to UCSB, check your email inboxes.

update: aww, I just got a really nice note from a potential advisor at UCSB, just inviting me to keep in touch if I have any questions.

:)

Hello,

I saw your posts on this forum and I wanted to say congratulations on your acceptance!! I am a current grad student in the Feminist Studies department at UCSB and I am super excited to learn about the newly-admitted students :) There are five total, for those who are curious. I just wanted to let you know that if you're worried about the cost of housing, you should apply online to get put on the list for family student housing. Since you mentioned that your partner would be moving out here with you, you qualify for the family housing. You also might be guaranteed access to that housing with your fellowship - I would double-check, but mine was. I live in the family housing with my wife, and another student in the department does as well. The waiting list can take a really long time, so you should do it now. It's of course ok if you change your mind later since you obviously haven't committed to any one program yet :) The website is:

http://www.housing.ucsb.edu/application/default.htm

Hopefully this post doesn't sound creepy or anything, haha! I just was on here a lot when I was applying to programs and thought you might want to know. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

lol ikr? it seems like on the whole this bunch is having a lot more success than past years' threads. go us!

and feminist21 congrats on your offer with funding! how exciting! do you feel like sharing where you got in? (pm is okay if you don't want to post)

lol ikr? it seems like on the whole this bunch is having a lot more success than past years' threads. go us!

and feminist21 congrats on your offer with funding! how exciting! do you feel like sharing where you got in? (pm is okay if you don't want to post)

Yup I was just going to update my list; it's about time... :D

and coffeem8: Congrats on the UCLA offer!! That sure is a dream come true!

Edited by feminist21

Hey all,

I applied to the Ph.D. program in Women's Studies at Texas Women's University. Deadline was Feb 1st, so I'll let you all know when I hear from them. I don't expect there will be many applicants to TWU here since it is a relatively new program, but its worth a shot!

Good luck to all of you! I look forward to hearing about your offers!

-Susie

Edited by SusieQ

Welcome SusieQ! Is this the program's first year? I'd love to hear more about it!

I'm still waiting to hear officially from Emory (though I am fairly positive it's a rejection), Rutgers, and another Minnesota program before I can make my decision...

Thanks for the warm welcome! The program is really amazing, actually and Dr. AnaLouise Keating is the director. (famous for her interest in Gloria E. Anzaldúa) I also like that the program has equal emphasis on teaching and publication since I LOVE teaching.

http://www.twu.edu/ws/phd-concentrations.asp for more information.

Welcome SusieQ! Is this the program's first year? I'd love to hear more about it!

I'm still waiting to hear officially from Emory (though I am fairly positive it's a rejection), Rutgers, and another Minnesota program before I can make my decision...

Hi everyone!

Can't believe I just found this thread! I've applied to Women's (and Gender) Studies programs for Fall 2011, but only to MA programs. And let me tell you, this wait is obnoxious. I've only just finished all my applications a few weeks ago (except one which has a suspiciously late deadline--March 1) and I'm already going nuts. I literally check on online application status about four times a day, it's sick, I know.

I applied to University of British Columbia (Vancouver), UT Austin, San Fran State, San Diego State, Brandeis (joint MA in Sociology and WGS), Simmons, Towson, Southern Connecticut State (super random, I know), DePaul, and Roosevelt. Has anyone applied to these programs too/heard anything from them?? Ten programs and I've heard NOTHING yet! :( But I'm hopeful since most of my deadlines were Jan 15 or Feb 1.

And congrats to everyone on their admits! Very exciting!!! biggrin.gif

Don't worry! It takes a month+ to hear back from grad programs. When I applied for my MA, they didn't back to me from January 6th deadline until late March. Every department is different, so hang in there!

Hi everyone!

Can't believe I just found this thread! I've applied to Women's (and Gender) Studies programs for Fall 2011, but only to MA programs. And let me tell you, this wait is obnoxious. I've only just finished all my applications a few weeks ago (except one which has a suspiciously late deadline--March 1) and I'm already going nuts. I literally check on online application status about four times a day, it's sick, I know.

I applied to University of British Columbia (Vancouver), UT Austin, San Fran State, San Diego State, Brandeis (joint MA in Sociology and WGS), Simmons, Towson, Southern Connecticut State (super random, I know), DePaul, and Roosevelt. Has anyone applied to these programs too/heard anything from them?? Ten programs and I've heard NOTHING yet! :( But I'm hopeful since most of my deadlines were Jan 15 or Feb 1.

And congrats to everyone on their admits! Very exciting!!! biggrin.gif