Women's Studies 2011

Lilith

Don't worry! It takes a month+ to hear back from grad programs. When I applied for my MA, they didn't back to me from January 6th deadline until late March. Every department is different, so hang in there!

Thanks! :) Have you finished your MA? What did you study? So have you applied to PhD programs for fall 2011?

I'm finishing in March. :) I will have an M.A. in CrimJ/Justice Studies with a gender focus. I applied for fall 2011, so I'll let you know if I hear anything! I applied to a program with a strong transdisciplinary focus, which meets my diverse academic background as opposed to programs more exclusive to specific disciplines. I am really hoping to get in there!!

Thanks! :) Have you finished your MA? What did you study? So have you applied to PhD programs for fall 2011?

I'll be honest that right now I'm not very hopeful about getting into any of my programs. :( I was rejected by UCSB and I haven't heard from UCLA but since other folks have received acceptances, I can't help but think I will be rejected there too. The other programs I applied to aren't gender/women/feminist studies, but I haven't heard a thing yet. I've been feeling really low about it all though I don't want to seek validation from these academic institutions.

I don't want to think about this process as competition and I don't want to compare myself with others because our experiences are so varied (though there is still this thing called privilege). I'm wondering if anyone else is struggling with similar thoughts... I find myself excusing my hurt by justifying with the fact that academia has grown into a business and is not structured for people to engage in transformative community-oriented practices or create concrete radical social and economic change. But then that's also why I was very selective about which programs I applied to in the first place and which professors I planned to work with...

soulinmyfist, I don't think what you're feeling is unnatural at all, and I myself am actually extremely wary of academia, though I have chosen to engage with it in order to meet my goals-- but mostly as a means to an end. I really do think that the fields you want to work in-- gender, ethnic and area studies-- can be transformative and I've actually taken courses that required community-based learning (I really think this is the wave of the future)! I hear what you're saying about privilege, however. I am a not prvileged person attending a very privileged institution, and I get discouraged every day. But the one thing that keeps me going is that my work might make an impact in the future... I hope.

Anyway, don't give up yet! You haven't even heard from anyone except UCSB at this point, so there's no reason to think you've been rejected across the board. I'm pretty sure all the admissions for now have been extended at UCLA, but you are still waiting on a bunch of schools!

<3 souninmyfist--I can definitely relate to those kinds of feelings. Remember, UCSB is one of the more competitive and exclusive programs. If you get rejected, you should inquire with the program director why they rejected you for personal growth reasons. It might help you see where you need to improve and identify the best ways to "sell" yourself for future or current applications/interviews. Most often, the issue for rejection is FIT. They just want to be sure that they can mentor you and provide you the appropriate oversight. It may just be that your interest wasn't a good fit for their capacity to oversee you. Don't be too hard on yourself. :)

I'll be honest that right now I'm not very hopeful about getting into any of my programs. :( I was rejected by UCSB and I haven't heard from UCLA but since other folks have received acceptances, I can't help but think I will be rejected there too. The other programs I applied to aren't gender/women/feminist studies, but I haven't heard a thing yet. I've been feeling really low about it all though I don't want to seek validation from these academic institutions.

I don't want to think about this process as competition and I don't want to compare myself with others because our experiences are so varied (though there is still this thing called privilege). I'm wondering if anyone else is struggling with similar thoughts... I find myself excusing my hurt by justifying with the fact that academia has grown into a business and is not structured for people to engage in transformative community-oriented practices or create concrete radical social and economic change. But then that's also why I was very selective about which programs I applied to in the first place and which professors I planned to work with...

Edited by SusieQ

EXACTLY. Listen to SusieQ. :D

Also, I'll say it again: just sit tight! A lot of your schools haven't even released any decisions yet! Don't assume the worst yet. (Easier said than done, I know... A couple of weeks ago I was despairing about how I was going to get rejected across the board. My first notifications were REJECTIONS! So don't feel bad...)

Try to take some time out and remember why you want this for yourself. Do something fun to take your mind off this horrible and stressful process. Go out with a friend and do something fun, or maybe just take a bubble bath and make some hot tea and then veg out! I've had to take a lot of "me" time just to get through this... I was exactly where you are a few weeks ago.

Great advice, Coffeem8. I think we academic-types forget to do this critical step: REST.

EXACTLY. Listen to SusieQ. :D

Also, I'll say it again: just sit tight! A lot of your schools haven't even released any decisions yet! Don't assume the worst yet. (Easier said than done, I know... A couple of weeks ago I was despairing about how I was going to get rejected across the board. My first notifications were REJECTIONS! So don't feel bad...)

Try to take some time out and remember why you want this for yourself. Do something fun to take your mind off this horrible and stressful process. Go out with a friend and do something fun, or maybe just take a bubble bath and make some hot tea and then veg out! I've had to take a lot of "me" time just to get through this... I was exactly where you are a few weeks ago.

Hi everyone!

Wow, this website is great but kind of addicting.

I applied to a bunch of PhD programs for the fall but I have only heard from the U of M yet. I'm surprised to see that a couple of you have received their decisions from Emory, I haven't heard anything yet so I'm guessing I did not get accepted. Are the decisions on their website?

Has anyone applied to Penn State?

Are there any other international students applying as well? I am wondering if it plays on my favor or not.

Anyway, congrats to all of you who got positive answers! And for the others, stay confident!

Hi Sequi, I did not receive an "official" rejection from Emory, I am simply presuming I was not accepted, because to be considered for admission you must be invited for an interview. From that list of people they choose their admitted candidates, waitlisted candidates and they even reject a few they invite to interview. Since interview weekend was last weekend, it's probably safe to assume that if you weren't there you probably didn't make the cut (whatever their criteria is... I still don't really know).

Or maybe it's just that we were so awesome we did not need interviews. Hahaha. :)

I think people did apply to Penn State earlier on in the thread, but to my knowledge no one has posted any results for women's studies from Penn State just yet, so I wouldn't worry about them just yet.

Edited by coffeem8

Thanks for your reply, it's so nice to be able to share mutual experiences!

Hi Sequi, I did not receive an "official" rejection from Emory, I am simply presuming I was not accepted, because to be considered for admission you must be invited for an interview. From that list of people they choose their admitted candidates, waitlisted candidates and they even reject a few they invite to interview. Since interview weekend was last weekend, it's probably safe to assume that if you weren't there you probably didn't make the cut (whatever their criteria is... I still don't really know).

Or maybe it's just that we were so awesome we did not need interviews. Hahaha. :)

I think people did apply to Penn State earlier on in the thread, but to my knowledge no one has posted any results for women's studies from Penn State just yet, so I wouldn't worry about them just yet.

Hi everyone!

Wow, this website is great but kind of addicting.

I applied to a bunch of PhD programs for the fall but I have only heard from the U of M yet. I'm surprised to see that a couple of you have received their decisions from Emory, I haven't heard anything yet so I'm guessing I did not get accepted. Are the decisions on their website?

Has anyone applied to Penn State?

Are there any other international students applying as well? I am wondering if it plays on my favor or not.

Anyway, congrats to all of you who got positive answers! And for the others, stay confident!

Hi Sequi! I'm not an international student but I applied to a Canadian school and was wondering the same thing.. I imagine that international students would be desirable because it would add perspective and diversity to a cohort, but I'm really not sure. Where do you live now? Have you studied outside your home country?

Hi Fiona,

I am from France, currently completing a Master in gender studies at the University of Paris 8. I already have a Master in English and American studies that I completed in the US through an exchange program, so I guess I have experienced the American higher educational system enough to know that I want to do a PhD in an American university and not a French one, even though I applied to both.

What about you?

Hi Sequi! I'm not an international student but I applied to a Canadian school and was wondering the same thing.. I imagine that international students would be desirable because it would add perspective and diversity to a cohort, but I'm really not sure. Where do you live now? Have you studied outside your home country?

Heads up!

For those who applied to the Rutgers MA program: there was a computer glitch and the denied status was a mistake. I just called the school (I hope I didn't sound like too much of an idiot when they told me.) From what I could listen to after I was told I wasn't denied, I do not think the adcom committee has reviewed applications yet.

Hi Fiona,

I am from France, currently completing a Master in gender studies at the University of Paris 8. I already have a Master in English and American studies that I completed in the US through an exchange program, so I guess I have experienced the American higher educational system enough to know that I want to do a PhD in an American university and not a French one, even though I applied to both.

What about you?

Wow, that's amazing. So have you only applied to Women's and/or Gender Studies PhD programs? I'm still an undergrad but I'll be graduating in May with a BA in Women's Studies. Yeah, I spent a year in London and although I love living in the UK, I think I'm partial to the American educational system as well. Although I'm not sure how similar the UK system is to the rest of Europe... Anyway, good luck!! :)

I am also waiting on Rutgers, do you have any idea when we will hear back from them?

Good luck to everyone on their impending decisions and interviews.

I am now only waiting on Rutgers... not expecting to get in (because that would be way too lucky), but mostly just curious at this point.

:)

I either applied to some PhD programs in Women's and Gender Studies or to some dual PhD in Women's studies and History. I don't know, I'm getting kind of skeptical at this point, I got rejected twice already. The only good news is that I have an interview for the Fulbright scholarship early March.

I think the UK system is very different from the French one. French universities all have free tuition, which does not help their reputations. It is commonly thought that students are just lazy people that go to college because they don't want to actually work, which is frustrating when it is not your situation. Overall, the level of education is still very high, my professors this year are all renown scholars and by far the most prolific thinkers in women's studies in France right now. It is very inspiring to collaborate with them.

Good luck to you as well!

Wow, that's amazing. So have you only applied to Women's and/or Gender Studies PhD programs? I'm still an undergrad but I'll be graduating in May with a BA in Women's Studies. Yeah, I spent a year in London and although I love living in the UK, I think I'm partial to the American educational system as well. Although I'm not sure how similar the UK system is to the rest of Europe... Anyway, good luck!! :)

Hey everyone, I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in Women's and Gender Studies for Fall 2011 as well. I applied to almost all of the stand alone programs in existence in the United States:

1. Indiana University -- Bloomington (accepted via e-mail Feb 4th w/ 4 years of funding) -- Funded recruitment visit scheduled for March 3rd - 5th.

2. University of Kansas (accepted via phone Feb 16th w/ 3 years of funding) -- No funding to visit school.

3. University of Minnesota (rejected via e-mail Jan 11th)

4. UC Santa Barbara (rejected via e-mail Feb 1st)

5. University of Arizona (rejected via e-mail Feb 7th)

6. Ohio State University (rejected via e-mail Feb 11th)

7. University of Washington (still waiting)

8. UCLA (still waiting)

9. University of Maryland (still waiting)

10. Emory (still waiting)

11. Rutgers (still waiting)

12. Texas Woman's University (still waiting)

13. Arizona State University (still waiting)

After reading this thread it seems like UCLA, Maryland, and Emory have all notified the people they admitted. Is this the impression that everyone is getting? Why would they make everyone else wait for a decision then?

Any word on University of Washington, Rutgers, Arizona State, or Texas Woman's?

I'm pretty sure you're right about Emory and I'm almost 100% positive you're right about UCLA since their official admit visiting day is less than a month away.

Rutgers usually notifies in late January or early March. Not sure about the other programs you asked about!

Unfortunately, it's pretty common for rejection letters to come out MUCH later than acceptances. It's mean and really annoying, but pretty conventional.

Hey there,

I applied to TWU too, but I haven't heard anything. I'm going to their open house, so I'll let you know what I find out! Good luck!

-Susie

Hey everyone, I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in Women's and Gender Studies for Fall 2011 as well. I applied to almost all of the stand alone programs in existence in the United States:

1. Indiana University -- Bloomington (accepted via e-mail Feb 4th w/ 4 years of funding) -- Funded recruitment visit scheduled for March 3rd - 5th.

2. University of Kansas (accepted via phone Feb 16th w/ 3 years of funding) -- No funding to visit school.

3. University of Minnesota (rejected via e-mail Jan 11th)

4. UC Santa Barbara (rejected via e-mail Feb 1st)

5. University of Arizona (rejected via e-mail Feb 7th)

6. Ohio State University (rejected via e-mail Feb 11th)

7. University of Washington (still waiting)

8. UCLA (still waiting)

9. University of Maryland (still waiting)

10. Emory (still waiting)

11. Rutgers (still waiting)

12. Texas Woman's University (still waiting)

13. Arizona State University (still waiting)

After reading this thread it seems like UCLA, Maryland, and Emory have all notified the people they admitted. Is this the impression that everyone is getting? Why would they make everyone else wait for a decision then?

Any word on University of Washington, Rutgers, Arizona State, or Texas Woman's?

Edited by SusieQ