Women's Studies 2011

Lilith

I'm wondering if the person who was accepted to the joint English/Women's Studies program at Michigan can offer any further details? I was notified that I am on the waitlist, and I'm curious to know how many people they accepted, and when the recruitment visit will be held. I doubt that I have great odds of making it in from the waitlist, but am holding out hope. :/

Yeeeah, the likelihood is not very high. The stipend is incredibly competitive; usually, those who get accepted take the offer and don't look back. :-\

ETA: All the Michigan WGS joint degrees accept only TWO applicants per year.

Edited by coffeem8

Did you ask them where you are on the waitlist, though, chienetloup? I think that would be appropriate to ask at this point, and should give you some idea about how likely you are to get an offer.

Congrats on Rutgers btw! It's a great program. And being waitlisted for such a competitive program as Michigan is no small feat either.

:)

I was the person who posted the rejection for Rutgers. I got a very nice but very generic email from an admissions officer, telling me that my application was not recommended for acceptance.

I thought I was a strong candidate, though perhaps the WGS program wasn't the best fit (it's also the only one I applied to, all of my other apps going to programs in Comparative Literature). Still, it was my first rejection and it stings to know that I'm one of the first to be rejected. Good luck to all of you!

medusa_laughs, you shouldn't feel badly at all... I was rejected from schools where I thought I had good "fit"! I don't think whether you were rejected early or late matters at all... they probably just haven't gotten around to rejecting the rest of us yet. ;)

Don't feel bad at all! Everyone thinks getting into Women's Studies must be "easy" but in reality since there are so few programs and so few admits per program, it ends up being actually really difficult. Places you think would be easy, actually end up being very competitive. Case example: Ohio State only accepted 7 people out of 104 applicants---that is only 6.7%!

Good luck on your other applications! :)

I was the person who posted the rejection for Rutgers. I got a very nice but very generic email from an admissions officer, telling me that my application was not recommended for acceptance.

I thought I was a strong candidate, though perhaps the WGS program wasn't the best fit (it's also the only one I applied to, all of my other apps going to programs in Comparative Literature). Still, it was my first rejection and it stings to know that I'm one of the first to be rejected. Good luck to all of you!

Don't feel bad at all! Everyone thinks getting into Women's Studies must be "easy" but in reality since there are so few programs and so few admits per program, it ends up being actually really difficult. Places you think would be easy, actually end up being very competitive. Case example: Ohio State only accepted 7 people out of 104 applicants---that is only 6.7%!

Good luck on your other applications! :)

Yes, women's studies programs are just as competitive as any humanities programs. Most of them have acceptance rates below 10%, especially this year...

Soooo... still not a peep from Rutgers. What gives? I want to know...

Morthia-- If you applied to TWU you'll need to open a Pioneer Portal so you can keep up with your admission status. I recently found out that my status was considered "incomplete" based on missing GRE scores. The department website, however, clearly states that GRE scores are not required. I contacted Ruth Johnson in admissions (let me know if you want her email address) about my application status and it was a mistake made on her end regarding WS applicant requirements. You should double check to make sure yours isn't being held up!

https://portal.twu.edu/default.asp

Thanks for the update!!

SusieQ, thanks so much for this info! I just logged into Pioneer Portal and my application is listed as "Awaiting Department Review." Maybe you got the Admissions Office to fix the incomplete status for the rest of us too. Thanks!

Morthia-- If you applied to TWU you'll need to open a Pioneer Portal so you can keep up with your admission status. I recently found out that my status was considered "incomplete" based on missing GRE scores. The department website, however, clearly states that GRE scores are not required. I contacted Ruth Johnson in admissions (let me know if you want her email address) about my application status and it was a mistake made on her end regarding WS applicant requirements. You should double check to make sure yours isn't being held up!

https://portal.twu.edu/default.asp

Edited by morthia

Mine says the same thing, so that's good. :) Good luck!

SusieQ, thanks so much for this info! I just logged into Pioneer Portal and my application is listed as "Awaiting Department Review." Maybe you got the Admissions Office to fix the incomplete status for the rest of us too. Thanks!

I'm probably writing in the wrong thread right now, but: I am going to visit UC Davis soon and I have no idea what to wear!!!!!! Does anybody of you have the same problem? Do I have to wear really nice business clothes, in which I would feel so uncomfortable, btw mellow.gif? What kinds of shoes are appropriate for that occasion? I just don't want to spend lots of money on nice clothes right now, since I'm pretty broke rolleyes.gif.

dunkel, I've been wondering the same thing! I'm visiting my prospective programs in the next couple of weeks and I'm clueless. I'm having the exact same dilemma! I'm leaning towards bringing a couple of casual outfits and one dressier one in case some of the events seem more "formal."

That's a really good question. I think that WS departments are pretty conscious of their own impulses/biases, so I don't think that what you wear (unless is it extraordinarily inappropriate or offensive) has as much bearing. Personally, I like to dress casually for interviews and open houses. A step up from what I wear everyday; khaki's, button-up dress shirt/polo, briefcase (in my case, my Timbuk2), comfortable walking shoes (especially if its an open house!). Maybe the best way to describe it is "business casual". The key is to wear something comfortable. If you're fidgeting with your clothes, you're going to distract yourself and others. Also, consider the weather in the area and the time of day. I had to alter my clothing choice when I went to Texas since it was 75-80F. Good luck!

I'm probably writing in the wrong thread right now, but: I am going to visit UC Davis soon and I have no idea what to wear!!!!!! Does anybody of you have the same problem? Do I have to wear really nice business clothes, in which I would feel so uncomfortable, btw mellow.gif? What kinds of shoes are appropriate for that occasion? I just don't want to spend lots of money on nice clothes right now, since I'm pretty broke rolleyes.gif.

I don't know.. I think I would go more business casual than casual. I know you've already been accepted but it's better to be overdressed than underdressed, you know? I've got an interview tomorrow and I'm wearing a jacket, a button down shirt, nice trousers, and flats (I don't do heels). But it is an interview day and they made it a point to tell us this and to "dress accordingly."

hahahaha... honestly, I probably will decline UCLA, but I don't know what the funding package looks like yet. I doubt it will be as good as SB's... I will make my decision by mid-march, and I will be quick about it for those who are waiting. It's hard for me to make my decision because I haven't really heard much from UCLA at all since I was admitted, so I don't know much about the department yet.

Congrats coffeem8!

I recently talked to a current UCLA student who works on queer studies-related stuff and wants to transfer to another school since she said there is no good support for queer and trans related research at UCLA. There might be other reasons to her wanting to transfer too, but I was left with the impression that anyone who wants to focus on queer or/and transgender studies should not go to UCLA. I'm not sure what you specialize in within feminist theory, so I don't know if any of this applies to you though.

hahahaha... honestly, I probably will decline UCLA, but I don't know what the funding package looks like yet. I doubt it will be as good as SB's... I will make my decision by mid-march, and I will be quick about it for those who are waiting. It's hard for me to make my decision because I haven't really heard much from UCLA at all since I was admitted, so I don't know much about the department yet.

How are people going about deciding on offers between schools? Any strategies?

I know I have two primary things that are important to me: 1) Best fit with my research interests/Faculty that can can advise my project; and 2) Location.

How big of a deal is location in how you are making your decisions?

What matters to you most in choosing a program?

Wow, really? That's bizarre. No queer theory at a WGS program? I have heard it is difficult for students to get support at UCLA for anything, just because it's such a huge school and not enough resources to go around.

To answer your questions on how to decide, well... location was not that important to me. I was mostly concerned about fit with faculty and my financial package. I need as much support as I can get, too, so I want a very supportive department with a tight-knit community. :)

Congrats coffeem8!

I recently talked to a current UCLA student who works on queer studies-related stuff and wants to transfer to another school since she said there is no good support for queer and trans related research at UCLA. There might be other reasons to her wanting to transfer too, but I was left with the impression that anyone who wants to focus on queer or/and transgender studies should not go to UCLA. I'm not sure what you specialize in within feminist theory, so I don't know if any of this applies to you though.

Hey everyone, sorry I just came online to this site after such a long time; I've been really sick and am slowly approaching recovery. The only update I have as of now is that Ohio State rejected me, and they even got the spelling of my name wrong on the departmental rejection letter. However, the letter from the graduate school had my name right. Anyways, that was the only PhD program I had applied to. Right now, I am still waiting to hear from the European program about the application results although I am pretty content on the outcome of my applications at other schools. And congratulations to everyone who have heard back positive news, and good luck to those still waiting! The incoming classes everywhere are looking to be wonderful, and I hope everyone finds success at their dream schools. :)

Hey everyone, I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in Women's and Gender Studies for Fall 2011 as well. I applied to almost all of the stand alone programs in existence in the United States:

1. Indiana University -- Bloomington (accepted via e-mail Feb 4th w/ 4 years of funding) -- Funded recruitment visit scheduled for March 3rd - 5th.

2. University of Kansas (accepted via phone Feb 16th w/ 3 years of funding) -- No funding to visit school.

3. University of Minnesota (rejected via e-mail Jan 11th)

4. UC Santa Barbara (rejected via e-mail Feb 1st)

5. University of Arizona (rejected via e-mail Feb 7th)

6. Ohio State University (rejected via e-mail Feb 11th)

7. University of Washington (still waiting)

8. UCLA (still waiting)

9. University of Maryland (still waiting)

10. Emory (still waiting)

11. Rutgers (still waiting)

12. Texas Woman's University (still waiting)

13. Arizona State University (still waiting)

After reading this thread it seems like UCLA, Maryland, and Emory have all notified the people they admitted. Is this the impression that everyone is getting? Why would they make everyone else wait for a decision then?

Any word on University of Washington, Rutgers, Arizona State, or Texas Woman's?

Congrats on the two offers so far, morthia! :) Will the University of Kansas program take only three years for the doctoral, assuming they accepted your master's credits?

I just got an email from Ohio State University telling me I was wait-listed. They didn't say anything about my position on their waiting list though. Oh well.

Btw, of the total application pool of 104 applicants they offered admission to 7 of them to start their PhD program in the fall of 2011. That's less than 10%, woah! I thought OSU wouldn't be that competitive.

The 104 applicants were for both MA and PhD students since they usually only admit 2-3 PhD students every year. I am pretty sure the 7 they admitted were MA+PhD students since they mentioned those were the total number of students joining their department in fall of 2011. Good luck on moving up the waitlist!

How are people going about deciding on offers between schools? Any strategies?

I know I have two primary things that are important to me: 1) Best fit with my research interests/Faculty that can can advise my project; and 2) Location.

How big of a deal is location in how you are making your decisions?

What matters to you most in choosing a program?

For me, it is extremely important that I have supportive mentors in the department and that the university has excellent resources to offer in order for me to grow in the community. Although I'd like to factor in location to my decision, I don't think it is that important for me; if I find the right fit halfway across the world in the middle of nowhere, I am going to make sure I get there. :D