Women's Studies 2011

Lilith

I just got an email from Ohio State University telling me I was wait-listed. They didn't say anything about my position on their waiting list though. Oh well.

Btw, of the total application pool of 104 applicants they offered admission to 7 of them to start their PhD program in the fall of 2011. That's less than 10%, woah! I thought OSU wouldn't be that competitive.

Hey there! Good luck with TWU too! Is that your first choice school? When is their open house?

Hey there,

I applied to TWU too, but I haven't heard anything. I'm going to their open house, so I'll let you know what I find out! Good luck!

-Susie

Someone updated today that they got a rejection e-mail from Rutgers....

oh wow! I didn't get an email, and my status on the website isn't updated. Hopefully this means we will all be hearing about our status there one way or another VERY SOON.

:)

Hi Everyone,

I applied for Women's Studies programs for Fall 2011 and have gotten some good news (and am still playing the waiting game for one program and details from others), but am wondering how to decide which program to attend beyond which offer good financial aid packages. I am planning on visiting the programs that I got into to get a better sense of the faculty and who it would be good to work with, but I am also curious about program reputation. Since I wasn't a Women's Studies major undergrad and Women's Studies programs aren't ranked, I don't know which programs tend to have the best placements. Does anyone have any advice?

Yeah, I really want to get into TWU. The open house is tomorrow at 8am. I think they'll have another one for accepted students. Funny story: I go up to the Women's Studies department, dead set on going inside and saying hi. As soon as I got to the door, someone came to the front desk with an armful of manila envelopes! On the desk, I swear, was a small folder with a post-it that said, "Fall 2011 applications". I'm pretty sure I saw acceptance letters going out! I didn't have the courage to go in unexpectedly after seeing that.

If I see/hear anything more at the open house, I'll let you know!

-Susie

Hey there! Good luck with TWU too! Is that your first choice school? When is their open house?

numoon, a lot of women's studies ph.d. programs aren't even old enough to have official placement rates yet, but I'd take into account things like how well you think you can work with your advisor and whether or not you'll get a lot of one-on-one time with faculty, rather than get lost in the mix.

but go visit your programs and see! I think that's the most important. :)

Hi Everyone,

I applied for Women's Studies programs for Fall 2011 and have gotten some good news (and am still playing the waiting game for one program and details from others), but am wondering how to decide which program to attend beyond which offer good financial aid packages. I am planning on visiting the programs that I got into to get a better sense of the faculty and who it would be good to work with, but I am also curious about program reputation. Since I wasn't a Women's Studies major undergrad and Women's Studies programs aren't ranked, I don't know which programs tend to have the best placements. Does anyone have any advice?

Wow, that's great!! It must feel great to hear some good news!! Do you mind if I ask where you applied and who you've heard back from yet?? I applied to 10 programs and have only heard back from one so far; this wait is killing me!!!!!

Again, congrats!! :)

Did you apply to Ph.D. or M.A. programs? That will make a difference in the advice to give you.

Hi Everyone,

That's really interesting--thanks for sharing! Please let us know how the open house goes!

Yeah, I really want to get into TWU. The open house is tomorrow at 8am. I think they'll have another one for accepted students. Funny story: I go up to the Women's Studies department, dead set on going inside and saying hi. As soon as I got to the door, someone came to the front desk with an armful of manila envelopes! On the desk, I swear, was a small folder with a post-it that said, "Fall 2011 applications". I'm pretty sure I saw acceptance letters going out! I didn't have the courage to go in unexpectedly after seeing that.

If I see/hear anything more at the open house, I'll let you know!

-Susie

Edited by morthia

hi all,

i definitely belong more in the history forum but was curious whether anyone else applied to the joint program in history and women's studies at the university of michigan (or any of the other joint programs with women's studies there)? just would be nice to know i'm not in this alone (although that would make admision a lot simpler ...)

The open house was informative and the department representative, Dr. Christa Downer, was really friendly, personable and truly interested in prospective students. Apparently, I was the only applicant to show up to the academic preview! We talked quite a bit about the department and my interests, but she didn't mention anything about WHEN the acceptance letters would go out, but she did say they were accepting only 8-9 students, with a cohort total of 16 in the program! The school itself is small (which I like) and the campus is easy to get around. People are very friendly and helpful and the WS, Soc, CrimJ, and Rhetoric faculty are all good friends. I could see that there wasn't cattiness/competitiveness that seems to be pervasive in many departments with limited resources. All of the faculty and students work together and seem to get along really well. Compared to other programs, in my opinion, it is less structured (flexibility is a plus for my diverse academic background), but the coursework and requirements are still challenging and rigorous.

After the academic preview, I went to a break out session about admissions for graduate applicants. They said that the first round of letters to go out are acceptance letters due to some university policy. So, just keep that in mind all of you interested in TWU!

Anyway, if I get anything, you guys will be the first to know. Well...maybe the second to know :) Good luck!

-Susan

That's really interesting--thanks for sharing! Please let us know how the open house goes!

Edited by SusieQ

hi all,

i definitely belong more in the history forum but was curious whether anyone else applied to the joint program in history and women's studies at the university of michigan (or any of the other joint programs with women's studies there)? just would be nice to know i'm not in this alone (although that would make admision a lot simpler ...)

I almost did, but I found out they only take TWO people year out of more than a hundred applicants, so I decided not to waste my money. It's an excellent program for those who get in, though. I had a professor who did the English/WGS program and she was brilliant and interesting!

Thanks for the update!!

The open house was informative and the department representative, Dr. Christa Downer, was really friendly, personable and truly interested in prospective students. Apparently, I was the only applicant to show up to the academic preview! We talked quite a bit about the department and my interests, but she didn't mention anything about WHEN the acceptance letters would go out, but she did say they were accepting only 8-9 students, with a cohort total of 16 in the program! The school itself is small (which I like) and the campus is easy to get around. People are very friendly and helpful and the WS, Soc, CrimJ, and Rhetoric faculty are all good friends. I could see that there wasn't cattiness/competitiveness that seems to be pervasive in many departments with limited resources. All of the faculty and students work together and seem to get along really well. Compared to other programs, in my opinion, it is less structured (flexibility is a plus for my diverse academic background), but the coursework and requirements are still challenging and rigorous.

After the academic preview, I went to a break out session about admissions for graduate applicants. They said that the first round of letters to go out are acceptance letters due to some university policy. So, just keep that in mind all of you interested in TWU!

Anyway, if I get anything, you guys will be the first to know. Well...maybe the second to know :) Good luck!

-Susan

Hey, I am the one who posted the Rutgers acceptance. Like you, I just checked the website. I then received a formal letter from the graduate school on Saturday. I have not yet heard from the department directly.

Hey, I just checked Rutgers' website and found out that I am on the waiting list. No emails, nothing......Those who already got in please speak up!

Same here. My status for Rutgers also still says "no decision." I wonder what the deal is with that one rejection for Rutgers being posted earlier in the week?

Huh. Mine just says "No decision." I'm assuming that means a rejection is coming...

Nope, no word yet from Emory for me either. I agree that it's dumb that they are taking forever with the rejections.

Oh by the way. Has anyone received an acceptance or official rejection from Emory yet? I know I didn't get in because I didn't get an interview, but what's taking them so long with rejections?

Same here. My status for Rutgers also still says "no decision." I wonder what the deal is with that one rejection for Rutgers being posted earlier in the week?

I have NO idea. I was just wondering about that. It says they got a rejection by email, so perhaps they contacted the program or their POI.

I'm just going to wait and see and what happens. :)