Harvard MPP and MPA2: Any real difference?

Kaeru

Would I be correct to say that the only difference between the two (other than the pre-requisites) is that MPP students have less independence in selecting their courses whereas MPAs have more leeway in designing their curriculum? From their names, Public Policy and Public Administration refer to different things but based on the Harvard website, I cant see much difference.

I ask because I am applying for MPP but thinking if I should seek to be considered for MPA as well. Cheers everyone!

I haven't heard that there are much differences except that MPA2 students don't have to do a thesis at the end. I talked to someone who went through the MPP program who advised that if I got in I should switch to the MPA2. Not really sure what that indicates... perhaps he was unhappy with the way the curriculum was set up?

In any case, I don't really see a downside to checking the box that says "consider me for the MPA2 if eligible", unless you're really dead set on the MPP.

Would I be correct to say that the only difference between the two (other than the pre-requisites) is that MPP students have less independence in selecting their courses whereas MPAs have more leeway in designing their curriculum? From their names, Public Policy and Public Administration refer to different things but based on the Harvard website, I cant see much difference.

I ask because I am applying for MPP but thinking if I should seek to be considered for MPA as well. Cheers everyone!

The difference, as you seem to notice, is that MPA2s don't need to take the core requirements (since they've theoretically already taken similar classes). This isn't a small difference, though, since the core pretty much takes up half of the classes you can take while there.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I applied to the MPP but just received an email asking whether I now want to be moved into the MPA2 pool on the basis of my work experience (5 years full-time) and study. I didn't ask to be considered for the MPA2 because I don't have Masters degree - just a Graduate Diploma in Economics - and didn't think that would be sufficient. I'm not sure what to do. I know the MPA2 program is more flexible - but I'm not sure if the MPA2 would be more difficult to get into, especially without a Masters. I know they take fewer MPA2 students, but perhaps they receive fewer applications for that program as well? The email seems to imply that if I opt for the MPA2 I will no longer be considered for the MPP (although I have sent an email to confirm that).

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi all

I applied to the MPP but just received an email asking whether I now want to be moved into the MPA2 pool on the basis of my work experience (5 years full-time) and study. I didn't ask to be considered for the MPA2 because I don't have Masters degree - just a Graduate Diploma in Economics - and didn't think that would be sufficient. I'm not sure what to do. I know the MPA2 program is more flexible - but I'm not sure if the MPA2 would be more difficult to get into, especially without a Masters. I know they take fewer MPA2 students, but perhaps they receive fewer applications for that program as well? The email seems to imply that if I opt for the MPA2 I will no longer be considered for the MPP (although I have sent an email to confirm that).

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Do not worry a bit, that is a sign of acceptance into the MPA2 program. I think you should start partying.