U of Michigan

sashababie

boringusername: I checked out UM's off-campus housing search a few days ago, and I must say I've been worried about ever getting decent housing without flying over way in advance and looking at prospectives in person. I know that limited people advertise with UM's service, but I really did not expect that my very generous search criteria would produce such unsatisfactory results. I'm only looking for: utilities included (heating to be exact!), non-smoking, and kitchen available, the pictures I've seen posted there! You'd expect people to at least clean up before taking pics of their house? :roll: Guess the safest way would be to go for campus housing, but I really would prefer to have a room to myself (w/ kitchen and private bath), having never had lived in a dorm all my life, grad school doesn't seem to be a good time to start. :cry:

boringusername: I checked out UM's off-campus housing search a few days ago, and I must say I've been worried about ever getting decent housing without flying over way in advance and looking at prospectives in person. I know that limited people advertise with UM's service, but I really did not expect that my very generous search criteria would produce such unsatisfactory results. I'm only looking for: utilities included (heating to be exact!), non-smoking, and kitchen available, the pictures I've seen posted there! You'd expect people to at least clean up before taking pics of their house? :roll: Guess the safest way would be to go for campus housing, but I really would prefer to have a room to myself (w/ kitchen and private bath), having never had lived in a dorm all my life, grad school doesn't seem to be a good time to start. :cry:

I too haven't been all that impressed with the search results from UM's housing site. It seems that everything is very picked over already. Even my cursory glance at the Ann Arbor craigslist postings has yielded more promising results. I did get a kick out of the pictures of filthy apartments littered with booze bottles, though! At this point, I'm thinking it'd be better to find a more liveable/affordable apartment farther away from campus. Maybe in one of those larger complexes?

Also, I was under the impression that UM does offer grad student housing for single students. Here, for instance: http://housing.umich.edu/northwood/overview/index.php . I'm not sure how desirable that would be, but it's certainly an option.

Anyway, good luck with the search!

Another thing:

I've heard that under Michigan law you or a third party has to have viewed the premises before you can sign a lease. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm probably not going to Michigan, but I did move to the state from another one a couple years back, and I didn't view the premises before I signed my lease. I wish I had, frankly.

I'm going!!! It's for Judaic Studies... and hopefully History two years down the road... but we'll see how much the faculty and I like each other ;)

Ew, thanks guys for looking at the photos already. I definitely want a clean apartment with a kitchen and utlities included (especially water).

I'm already freaking out a bit about housing! The weather doesn't bother me a bit as I go to school in Central New York and I've lived under the snow all this winter and all of my life. The only thing that's really scaring me is the SIZE of the university and the campus. :shock:

by srinair on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 am

Anyone for Mech Engg???

I am going for MechE Ph.D. this fall, I will be looking for housing early this summer. What about you? Also, what kind of funding you have, if any?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use