Masters First back-up: Anthro MA VS Bio MA or Policy MA

mutualist007

It is still early, and I am waiting but it's never too soon for contingencies. I am anticipating rejections since the climate is tougher now, so I have devised another Plan B. Several of you confirmed the merit of doing the Masters first, but that was in support of an Anthropology Masters. To get through the master hurdle quicker, and to diversify my job prospects, I am considering a non-anthro Masters as the new Plan B or Plan C (what you will).

My other choices are an MAT program for Biology OR a Masters in International Policy, or maybe Biotech. The most relevant and straight-forward is the MAT in Biology so that I am certified to teach Bio or Bio and some social sciences if needed. the time to complete any of these non-anthro options is shorter. The Masters in Anthropology would take 2 years and the MAT and other options can be completed in 4 semesters. I could finish by the summer of 2011 VS the Spring of 2012.

Most Antho PhD programs only take up to about 1 year's worth of MA transfer credit. If I am facing that amount or less and spend two years on a degree that may not be credited, why not complete another masters program so I can be more employable in less time? I would also be showing evidence of success taking graduate level courses. I might lose out on the thesis proof of research angle, ye I could make up for that with more field school experiences related to what I want to do in a PhD program.

Is this non-Anthro masters idea crazy, or would it work just as well as completing a Anthropology Masters program?

Thanks!

Edited by mutualist007

i'm not sure about 'most' anthro programs requiring that your MA degree is an anthro degree. the program that i'm in has a few people who have MAs and i don't think they are all in anthro. i think thinking about expanding your marketability and experience is a good idea and it seems to work really well for some of the people i know who get really innovative ideas through combining their knowledge in more than one field and making some sort of dynamic intervention in one or the other(s).

Thanks everyone!

The main purpose for a different Masters is three-fold (I think):

• Decrease the amount of time I have to wait to reapply to a top tier PhD program: the programs take 4 semesters.
  • Increase broad marketability in the event that a PhD becomes impossible (economy, 2012, etc.)
  • GPA and research padding to weigh against the GPA of my first degree, and the 1100 the first time around on the GRE. Second degree in anthropology is 3.82, 4.0 major.

It all depends on how much credit I will be allowed to transfer. Someon programs allow very little and many allow up to a year of credit, which is not exact and seems vague.

My other option is to work and do independent research and field schools and reapply next year.

I just can't wait to get in somewhere; anywhere will do now. I feel that acceptance will release me from my grad school fears and anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

The main purpose for a different Masters is three-fold (I think):

• Decrease the amount of time I have to wait to reapply to a top tier PhD program: the programs take 4 semesters.
  • Increase broad marketability in the event that a PhD becomes impossible (economy, 2012, etc.)
  • GPA and research padding to weigh against the GPA of my first degree, and the 1100 the first time around on the GRE. Second degree in anthropology is 3.82, 4.0 major.

It all depends on how much credit I will be allowed to transfer. Someon programs allow very little and many allow up to a year of credit, which is not exact and seems vague.

My other option is to work and do independent research and field schools and reapply next year.

I just can't wait to get in somewhere; anywhere will do now. I feel that acceptance will release me from my grad school fears and anxiety.

I'm just here to lol and appreciate the fact that one of the reasons a PhD could become an impossibility is 2012!!

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the exact same boat...

Currently working in refugee resettlement, my goal is to attain a PhD in sociocultural anthro. At this point I need to stay in Atlanta for the next couple of years for my husband's job: my options are Emory (applied to the PhD program, not holding out high hopes) and GSU. At this point I'm trying to decide between a Masters in Social Work, MSW, or going on to get my MA in Anthro at GSU.

Ready to pull hair trying to decide which path is the most beneficial both for my ultimate goal of getting a PhD and for the realities of the workforce today....and too, I feel anthro is such a diverse field, it is well supported with a technical skill in one of the allied programs.

Thoughts? Has anyone actually done this--as in, started a PhD program in anthro with a Masters degree in a different field?

Thanks!

If I am turned down for my top PhD picks I will most likely go for a masters that will make me employable and then try again.

At this point I do not know if a Masters in Anthro or a Masters in teaching science or biotech would be more profitable. Time to survey the job boards.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the exact same boat...

Currently working in refugee resettlement, my goal is to attain a PhD in sociocultural anthro. At this point I need to stay in Atlanta for the next couple of years for my husband's job: my options are Emory (applied to the PhD program, not holding out high hopes) and GSU. At this point I'm trying to decide between a Masters in Social Work, MSW, or going on to get my MA in Anthro at GSU.

Ready to pull hair trying to decide which path is the most beneficial both for my ultimate goal of getting a PhD and for the realities of the workforce today....and too, I feel anthro is such a diverse field, it is well supported with a technical skill in one of the allied programs.

Thoughts? Has anyone actually done this--as in, started a PhD program in anthro with a Masters degree in a different field?

Thanks!

I don't know if this is a reply, but I am in the same boat now. I am now considering a certification in a medical field, such as radiology, or phlebotomy, or biotech so that I can obtain lab skills and work. I see the additional skills as an opportunity to enhance ideas in anthropology and create some security. These choices are mostly dictated by my perception of the reality of the workplace and how hard I have it now finding work.

I worry that the addition of a professional associates or certificate reflects badly on how my desire to get the PhD, and if adcoms will see my move to a professional field in that light.

Well, for what it's worth (my concentrations seem to deviate slightly from yours), I e-mailed quite a few graduate coordinators at my top schools (Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern, etc.) and received very encouraging responses in terms of getting a "professional" degree. I've applied to some schools for my Masters in Social Work, a move that a few of the graduate coordinators said they personally supported. (Re: if it counts against me when doctoral applications come around, don't go blaming them.) Of course, take into account that my interests lie with human rights, forced migration, and refugee studies. I wanted to gain practical as well as theoretical experience, and I think a professional degree is the way to do that. Many grad. coordinators seemed extremely supportive, so maybe take that with a grain of salt?

Waiting on hearing back from area schools for MSW decisions. Good luck to you!

On 2/7/2011 at 8:30 PM, jms3993 said:

Well, for what it's worth (my concentrations seem to deviate slightly from yours), I e-mailed quite a few graduate coordinators at my top schools (Washington University in St. Louis, Northwestern, etc.) and received very encouraging responses in terms of getting a "professional" degree. I've applied to some schools for my Masters in Social Work, a move that a few of the graduate coordinators said they personally supported. (Re: if it counts against me when doctoral applications come around, don't go blaming them.) Of course, take into account that my interests lie with human rights, forced migration, and refugee studies. I wanted to gain practical as well as theoretical experience, and I think a professional degree is the way to do that. Many grad. coordinators seemed extremely supportive, so maybe take that with a grain of salt?

Waiting on hearing back from area schools for MSW decisions. Good luck to you!

Thanks!

What did your contacts say about publishing opportunities and presenting, or will that be judged differently because of your work and training in social work?

I think radiography will give me security, but it does nothing in regards to proving myself with a thesis paper.

If I don't get in this time around, I'll aply to some Masters programs in March-April and also apply to the Radiography programs. I don't know how I'll choose between the two though...

If I can't get in, I'll just start inventing my own way to be relevant and then try, try again.

• 2 months later...

Thanks!

What did your contacts say about publishing opportunities and presenting, or will that be judged differently because of your work and training in social work?

I think radiography will give me security, but it does nothing in regards to proving myself with a thesis paper.

If I don't get in this time around, I'll aply to some Masters programs in March-April and also apply to the Radiography programs. I don't know how I'll choose between the two though...

If I can't get in, I'll just start inventing my own way to be relevant and then try, try again.

They didn't really say...one coordinator advised me to "keep up" with some anthropological readings, etc. But I'm assuming there's not a whole lot you can do while in radiography...? They'd have to kind of understand and evaluate other successes and accomplishments based on your field of study (right? right.) Ha.

Any updates? I just noticed you're in ATL! I got rejected from Emory for anthro, so looks like I'll be attending either GSU or UGA for social work, depending on who might give me funding (cross your fingers...).

• 4 months later...

They didn't really say...one coordinator advised me to "keep up" with some anthropological readings, etc. But I'm assuming there's not a whole lot you can do while in radiography...? They'd have to kind of understand and evaluate other successes and accomplishments based on your field of study (right? right.) Ha.

Any updates? I just noticed you're in ATL! I got rejected from Emory for anthro, so looks like I'll be attending either GSU or UGA for social work, depending on who might give me funding (cross your fingers...).

I skipped the professional schooling but I wish I could work some in. I think that lab and research skills should be crucial and I personally admire/envy the medical anthropology people who came from nursing backgrounds.