Listing other schools?

cquin

Some of my applications request that I list the other schools to which I am applying. This doesn't appear to be a mandatory question, though, since the site allows me to submit my application without answering that question. My gut reaction is to leave it blank (I have a paranoid image in my head of all my desired schools conspiring against me), but will that hurt me? Help me? Do absolutely nothing? Should I just answer the question?

Thanks in advance.

I listed the schools I was applying to. My thought was that if I list 'better/competitive' schools than this particular school, they might be like 'hmmm, this student is applying to GOOD programs. therefore we better recruit this guy!' Although in reality, that might not be the case.

I don't know if it will help/hurt/nothing the applicants, but chillax dude, they certainly won't conspire against you ;)

You could check out this similar thread:

I believe the consensus lies somewhat along the lines:

It is up to you. There is no evidence that listing other schools may have negative impact on your chances.

Many people, however, tend not to disclose this information to universities.

Some of my applications request that I list the other schools to which I am applying. This doesn't appear to be a mandatory question, though, since the site allows me to submit my application without answering that question. My gut reaction is to leave it blank (I have a paranoid image in my head of all my desired schools conspiring against me), but will that hurt me? Help me? Do absolutely nothing? Should I just answer the question?

Thanks in advance.

It won't hurt you if you do not list them, but you must know that at some point of the application process you will have to tell that anyways. I mean during interviews - and I wish you to have a lot of them! :) So just be prepared and look through some older threads on - this topic was discussed several times here.