Jump to content

will being in contact with a prof. help?


Recommended Posts

i was in contact with a prof at NCSU :D . i mailed him couple of times , his response was positive about my application he askedme to appply to NCSU, I did. However the committee is stll pondering over my application , he has informed them of his interest in my application.I was just wondering if this will make any difference .The commitee had issues with my lack of publications ,i wrote an email in response to that :x .I even asked my research supervisor to send a lettr for me besides the 3 reccos.....PPPl tell me if this will work ? what do you think? has anyone seen this kindof situation? :roll: :cry: :cry: i have no acceptances till now

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say having a faculty member as an advocate can only help your situation. Your application my ultimately be turned down by the members of the committee, but if you have one prof who is willing to push for your application, that can certainly carry weight with other members of the voting faculty. If it comes down to one spot left and its between you and someone with similar qualifications, the faculty will vote with the prof who is pushing for you. Good luck!

Its not always what you know, but who you know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

your words seem reassuring !! Honestly at one point i started believing all this is just some kind of show . i have done whatever i could in my stead now its just plain luck :? :? . Actually what i have come to know from that prof is that the committee is very slow this year . else i would have heard from him . :x Do you have any clue when do the last decisions roll in ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
your words seem reassuring !! Honestly at one point i started believing all this is just some kind of show . i have done whatever i could in my stead now its just plain luck :? :? . Actually what i have come to know from that prof is that the committee is very slow this year . else i would have heard from him . :x Do you have any clue when do the last decisions roll in ?

most american grad schools are parties to an agreement that states april 15 is the deadline for a student to accept or decline an offer of admission- therefore most schools need to notify you by april 15 at the latest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

But from the some other posts , there were some people who wernt notified even after 17th april in 2007.what is that all about ? There are 6 schools i havent heard from still ...it seems like a silent inbox for me thats one reason i am speculating so much .this includes my safe schools

:D none

:cry: rice,university of oregon, arizona state,ohio state

:x waiting at UMASS ,BU

Link to post
Share on other sites
But from the some other posts , there were some people who wernt notified even after 17th april in 2007.what is that all about ? There are 6 schools i havent heard from still ...it seems like a silent inbox for me thats one reason i am speculating so much .this includes my safe schools

:D none

:cry: rice,university of oregon, arizona state,ohio state

:x waiting at UMASS ,BU

It's very frustrating, I KNOW! The program I applied to had a March 1st deadline, but they still have not sent out notices. The grad college said that they will be notifying people during the first two weeks of April. PUSHIN' THE APRIL 15 DEADLINE MUCH?!! See my post "PhD Coordinator won't return my email!"

Have you heard anything yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
no buddy i havent sadly and madly ...i wont have to make any decisions since there is no acceptance in my basket ..does anyone know being in a waitlist eventually pays up?

I've heard that many programs will not say anything to their waitlist folks until after the April 15th deadline. After they know for sure who accepts or declines offers, they can open up for waitlisted folks or reject them. That may be the situation I'm in too. I've not heard anything, one way or the other. They may be waiting to see who accepts. If someone gets a better offer somewhere else then we might be in luck.

I guess the good news is, this can't go on indefinitely. We'll hear something within the next couple of weeks -- one way or the other. Hang in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the latest i heard from him " Despite the lateness, I continue to push them. Do not give up hope."

Do you think this will lead somewhere ? I am really frustrated . So i decided now on i won't e mail him . Is this an Okay stand to take considering i have'nt recieved any acceptances ? Please help

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait. Does that mean you have taken a stand not to email your advocate--the professor who is trying to get you in? I don't think that is a good idea. I think it is always best to stay in touch with someone on the inside who is on YOUR side. That said, of course you shouldn't email him everyday or anything. Be INCREDIBLY nice and grateful, and genuinely thankful for the help of a professor who is going out on a limb for you. He obviously thinks you are worth it, so you certainly should not give up hope; he said not to, and he knows the most about the situation. I hope it all works out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wait. Does that mean you have taken a stand not to email your advocate--the professor who is trying to get you in? I don't think that is a good idea. I think it is always best to stay in touch with someone on the inside who is on YOUR side. That said, of course you shouldn't email him everyday or anything. Be INCREDIBLY nice and grateful, and genuinely thankful for the help of a professor who is going out on a limb for you. He obviously thinks you are worth it, so you certainly should not give up hope; he said not to, and he knows the most about the situation. I hope it all works out!

I know what you mean , but you know my friend i have emailed him last on 27th asking him what came up ? He replied this on 29th ,i sent him 4 emails earlier in march ( which he did reply to), i was thinking maybe i am pestering him too much. He seemsto be a nice person . I don't wanna go overboard . When do you think I should email him again and ask what ....even the list of my questions have exhausted .

Link to post
Share on other sites

My sense is that if the last email you sent to him was on the 27th and he replied the 29th, you should get ahold of him next wednesday or so. Time will be running out then, and he will understand why you need to be in touch. Hopefully he will get in touch with you before then though with good news! After that email, you may just need to wait for him and the rest of the committee to decide...until the 15th when you can probably write again if you haven't heard anything. These professors know the seriousness of these choices, and if he is on your side, I don't think he will be annoyed. Best of luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My feeling is that you should not talk about the fact that you do not have other offers. Don't say you do (of course), but concentrate on how much you want to go to their school. You seem like you do, and even if the other offers had come in, maybe you would have felt the same. Hopefully it all works out. If not, do not give up. I know several fabulous English and History PhD applicants (and I'm sure it is the same for Chemistry) who didn't get in the first year they applied, and then applied again the next year and got into some of their top choices.

Link to post
Share on other sites

( I did receive word that your application was given low priority. This does not mean that the decision is negative yet, but it does depend on whether other students accept our offer.

The new admissions committee is very stern. May I suggest something to you. We have traditionally allowed students to enter even during Spring semester. This would delay your entrance by six months. However, I can discuss this with my friend and ally. Perhaps he can agree that a Spring admit is possible if it does not work for Fall.)

This is the latest i got from him . I donnot know what to do ? help adstatus n snagsby52 n others

Link to post
Share on other sites
( I did receive word that your application was given low priority. This does not mean that the decision is negative yet, but it does depend on whether other students accept our offer.

The new admissions committee is very stern. May I suggest something to you. We have traditionally allowed students to enter even during Spring semester. This would delay your entrance by six months. However, I can discuss this with my friend and ally. Perhaps he can agree that a Spring admit is possible if it does not work for Fall.)

This is the latest i got from him . I donnot know what to do ? help adstatus n snagsby52 n others

Looks like you've been waitlisted but the professor really wanna take you under his wings. It's hard to say whether you can wait for an offer in the second round, but seems like Spring 2009 may be a more plausible option.

If you wanna get in so badly, you can wait for it I guess... Spring admission isn't so bad, you just need to work on something else for 6 months.

Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you may just need to wait at this point for the final result. If you want to go there, I would take the spring admission offer if they decide to offer it to you. I would write back and say that you believe it is the right program for you, and that you would be wiling to wait until the spring if they felt that it was necessary. Be incredibly nice (not pushy at all) and articulate. No one thinks these matters--such as making sure to be ridiculously thankful and writing well in these emails--is important, but it REALLY is--on both a conscious and subconscious level for the reader. Hopefully some people decline the offer and you get in this fall. However, you need to think about how much you want to go there, because you can also build up your resume and apply again next year. I'm rooting for you! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok tell me do the universites give the spring offers now or after some time ..I may be ready to wait if I have something promising (a letter ) in hand . He says the terms will be the same as fall .His work appeals me . At the same time I got to know that I havent been reviewed at Houston . What happens if I get an accept from Houston ? I am really confused now . Moreover He says 2 students have already opted out of NCSU I may have some chance fall as well ..... :?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, the correspondence from that professor sounds like crap to me. The guy needs an "ally" for a student in admission process he is not even a part of?

Make sure you do not hold any false hopes here.

Most people on waiting lists won't get anything, it is the best to set up realistic expectations so that one doesn't get fooled by some silly "politicians" in education.

This always reminds me of late Daniel P. Moyniham. The lower stakes are the more politics, what an absurd. :roll:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't listen to people who insist on being negative. There is still hope. If you don't get in this year, you will eventually get into a good program if you want it enough--and it seems like you do. I hope it all works out!

Thanks ! well to tell you He said the other day that some more students have turned them down ....so i believe there is still hope . i will keep u updated as things become clear . Besides i will take up the spring offer as well if they do give me . lets see. :wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

No snagsby52,till now i haven't heard from him .He says "hang in there" as many students have rejected them after 15th . And I have still not got any offers . Now I dont have any hopes . He proposed earlier ,that he will try getting me a spring entry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I followed this with a lot of interest because I also had several notes from a professor at a school I wanted to get accepted at. He said I was so high on the wait list and he was almost certain they would make me an offer probably in a few days, surely by the end of March. Well I got excited and wrote back "great" (I said it fancier than that) but the few days went by, also about the end of March. I wrote again and said I was very interested in the school and hoped there would be good news soon. I read that helps on a wait list b/c they want to make their second round offers to people they think are likely to accept. He wrote back oh yes for sure he knew it was hard to wait but could I just keep hanging on. But by the end of March, when he had said they didn't know yet whether they had vacancies from their first round of admissions, I saw on the grad cafe list that the same school had admitted two others off their wait list. The week before April 15 he wrote again that he was doing all he could to get me in, and I replied with (fading) enthusiasm. I was lucky enough to have acceptance elsewhere, which I took (on the 14th, bird in the hand), and later got a rejection from that first school in the mail. I am puzzled by the whole correspondence, really.

In your first post, you said you thought maybe you needed some publications. Can you get a spot in a lab with a chance to get your name on some papers? If you are going to have to sit out the next few months, I urge you to think about polishing your application that way. I did not get in anywhere last year and had to find a whole new strategy this year. My field is different, but still, strategy change helped and I think I still could have done better on it because I would like to have been first round in a couple of places where I didn't make the cut, but at least this time I got in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.