Red-headed stepchild?

MegMill

Anyone out there interested in legal history? (echo, echo....)

Interested, yes, but it is not what I do mostly, although it looks like my thesis topic is going to be a form of legal history, and I am taking U.S. Legal History next semester.

On 12/5/2010 at 11:09 PM, Riotbeard said:

Interested, yes, but it is not what I do mostly, although it looks like my thesis topic is going to be a form of legal history, and I am taking U.S. Legal History next semester.

Awesome! It's kind of my thing. Anyone else out there? And Riotbeard, what schools, if you know, have the best reputation in legal research? I've always heard WUSTL, Vanderbilt, UVA, and UPENN.

On 12/6/2010 at 11:51 AM, MegMill said:

Awesome! It's kind of my thing. Anyone else out there? And Riotbeard, what schools, if you know, have the best reputation in legal research? I've always heard WUSTL, Vanderbilt, UVA, and UPENN.

Not sure, but it might help to look at schools that have strong law schools too.

I am... but will first see which school I get into eventually ... I'm kinda thinking it's best to double in JD?

Edited by RDX

I am... but will first see which school I get into eventually ... I'm kinda thinking it's best to double in JD?

Well, Rdx, I've already got the JD. I think you're right though.... That is the route I should have taken. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Well, Rdx, I've already got the JD. I think you're right though.... That is the route I should have taken. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Ouch I forgot you've got one..

It's probably not the best route.. a lot of complications.. say.. if (by chance) I got into some really good schools, then I probably won't be able to double in JD because of my relavtively low GPA, etc. if I got into some safeties ones, JD would not be very helpful either as a career strategy or a academic boost (given I'm an international student, any JD besides T14 doesn't mean much to me.. sad) Also, not every of schools provides double JD-PhD.

It's some hard coordinations and considerations...

Ouch I forgot you've got one..

It's probably not the best route.. a lot of complications.. say.. if (by chance) I got into some really good schools, then I probably won't be able to double in JD because of my relavtively low GPA, etc. if I got into some safeties ones, JD would not be very helpful either as a career strategy or a academic boost (given I'm an international student, any JD besides T14 doesn't mean much to me.. sad) Also, not every of schools provides double JD-PhD.

It's some hard coordinations and considerations...

UPENN has a highly regarded JD/PhD program.

See, it's all tomato/tomato. I guess at this point, I can't erase the fact that I didn't do a JD/PhD program and at this point you can't help that you havent dont a JD first (by and large). So, I guess we'll just see where the cards fall. I just wish they'd tumble on my head soon!

Really, you need to relax. As someone else said, you will discover that academia is a lot of waiting. You need to be very patient with everything. I've got a journal article that I submitted back in September and am still waiting on the revisions. It took me 7-8 months for a book review to be published. One of my LOR writers took a LONG time with my thesis drafts compared to my other readers (including my super-busy MA thesis adviser) but her edits were well-worth the wait of over a month. I learned it all the really hard way while getting my MA- academics don't know what deadlines mean in general. I learned that it's better just to let it go and start on something new and exciting to pass the time, and then, before you know, you will have almost forgotten about it.

I didn't mean to offend you with the number of schools. I considered applying to 9 but it just seemed too daunting. At the 9th school, the professor said that he was officially retiring and wouldn't take any new students and I considered adding a new school to replace it. I decided at the end that I wanted to keep my sanity and the other 8 were just great fits and I would be happy to go to any of them.

My hope is that you will be happy with your first acceptance, regardless of where it comes from as you did apply to a range of schools. It was a hard lesson that a few people learned last year. Quite a few got into top-20s but were holding out for higher-ranked and better-funded schools and thought they were on the ball after their first acceptance or two. But that didn't happen and they didn't savor the moment of being accepted somewhere, period.

UPENN has a highly regarded JD/PhD program.

See, it's all tomato/tomato. I guess at this point, I can't erase the fact that I didn't do a JD/PhD program and at this point you can't help that you havent dont a JD first (by and large). So, I guess we'll just see where the cards fall. I just wish they'd tumble on my head soon!

I applied to like 13 schools. It sucks when you are doing it, but the more applications the more options you will probably have at the end of it all.

I applied to like 13 schools. It sucks when you are doing it, but the more applications the more options you will probably have at the end of it all.

and that was the motive behind applying to so many. that and apparently i have a disposable income, ahem, not really.

as for waiting and relaxing: i think that going through law school, taking and passing the bar, and practicing law has prepared me for stress, to say the very, very least. it's not like i'm sitting over here in north carolina pacing circles into my floor. i'm just trying to blow off a little anxiety on this site. Isnt that, after all, what this site is partially designed for? Meh.... Enuff 'o that.

Riotbeard, how do you like Tulane? I saw from some old posts that you applied to South Carolina because of their emphasis on southern history. i also think SC is an up-and-coming school, one that is likely underrated. they dont really have a solid program in what i'm pursuing, but perhaps they'd want to carve out a caveat for moi. ;) we shall see....

and that was the motive behind applying to so many. that and apparently i have a disposable income, ahem, not really.

as for waiting and relaxing: i think that going through law school, taking and passing the bar, and practicing law has prepared me for stress, to say the very, very least. it's not like i'm sitting over here in north carolina pacing circles into my floor. i'm just trying to blow off a little anxiety on this site. Isnt that, after all, what this site is partially designed for? Meh.... Enuff 'o that.

Riotbeard, how do you like Tulane? I saw from some old posts that you applied to South Carolina because of their emphasis on southern history. i also think SC is an up-and-coming school, one that is likely underrated. they dont really have a solid program in what i'm pursuing, but perhaps they'd want to carve out a caveat for moi. ;) we shall see....

I love Tulane. In the end for me, it came down between South Carolina, Tulane, and a wait list that I decided to take my name off of. I ended up going here, because despite my interest in Southern, I felt like I could get a variety of interests at Tulane, and not so purely Southern, becuase while I still have a lot to learn about Southern history, I wanted the Atlantic World aspect. The funding at Tulane is really generous, and my cohort is amazing. It's small, and we arent all cutting each others throats for books. I think our application due date isn't until like February 1. They also changed the program just before I got here to model it after Duke's, so no comps. If you have any question feel free to PM me. When I visited SC, I liked it a lot too. The faculty there are great, and the other grad students are very cool. In some respects, I would have fit in there really well, but I would be doing the diversity of work there that I do at Tulane.

• 6 months later...

I'm late to the party, but I'm currently studying legal history through the McGill University Faculty of Law (well, actually the Institute of Comparative Law, but it's really the same thing). My work lately has largely focused on Canadian legal history - my masters thesis is about constitutional change in Nova Scotia and my doctoral dissertation is on the first Canadian competition statute in 1889 - but I'm actually American, with a JD from the University of Illinois and a BA from the University of Chicago.