Question about transcripts

ramoscb

So, I'm in the middle of finishing up my applications and sent some schools copies of my official transcript. But, I stupidly took them out of the envelopes in which my undergraduate university sent them to me and just mailed the bare transcripts. Now I'm paranoid that my schools will not accept them because they are out of their envelopes. Any advice/comments/etc.?

You need to resend them. They should be in their original envelopes. You can call the schools and perhaps ask for an extension, but this is most likely mentioned in their application that they should be mailed straight from the registrar or in their sealed envelopes with notary to prevent tampering.

<br />You need to resend them. They should be in their original envelopes. You can call the schools and perhaps ask for an extension, but this is most likely mentioned in their application that they should be mailed straight from the registrar or in their sealed envelopes with notary to prevent tampering.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks. I actually looked and only one school's website demanded they be in an envelope; the others don't say a thing about it anywhere. Still a dumb idea to take them out...

Things are complicated because I have to order more transcripts so I'm worried the schools will mark my apps as incomplete, but the official transcripts will get there well before the break ends, and all but one school also had me send scanned copies. I'm getting really anxious and feel really foolish. I'll call them ASAP in the morning.

I actually looked and only one school's website demanded they be in an envelope; the others don't say a thing about it anywhere.

Even if it is not mentioned on their websites, you are supposed to send transcripts in envelopes to every school. Otherwise they are not considered official. So, unfortunately, you will have to resend all your transcripts...

Talk them and explain the situation. Some departments may be understanding.

I contacted all of mine and asked them whether it was ok for me to send my transcripts myself - all in sealed envelopes (provided by my universities yet envelopes were completely plain) - which I put in a single package. All universities said 'yes'.

Thanks for your help everyone! There were three schools that I sent the transcripts to. Two said it didn't really matter (maybe because the transcripts are watermarked and security-papered like dollar bills are? it's insane how much protection is on them, maybe that's why my university's were so expensive...) and one hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Either way, not gonna send them out of the envelope again. Again, thanks for the help!