Studying with emeritus faculty

dhouse

Am I correct in assuming you can't have an emeritus faculty member as your adviser? I mean, they're retired, right? There's an emeritus professor in one of the departments I'm applying to who seems like a perfect fit, but I don't want to write a Statement of Purpose geared toward working with him if that's a complete impossibility.

Thanks in advance.

In general, the consensus in the forum is that while simply mentioning the prof's name won't hurt, going into great lengths about what kind of research projects you have in mind and want to do with the emeritus prof might lower your chances because, well, the prof ain't taking any students no more. You can say that your research interest matches with few profs such as... and throw in the emeritus name in the mix. The adcomms might take this positively because it will appear that you have done your research on the profs.

A similar question was asked in the forum few days ago.. perhaps you can do a search to find it.

You might make it clear that you know you won't be working with this person directly. Something like: ...I am attracted to Blah U because of its long tradition in whatsitology...With Dr. Young and Dr. New, I hope to study...guidance from senior figures such as Dr. Emeritus would enrich my studies...blah blah accept me.

Thanks, that was helpful.

An emeritus faculty member cannot serve as your dissertation advisor in most cases (I have heard of some programs, such as psychology/social science programs, that do allow emeritus faculty to chair dissertation committees, but remember that in many cases professors emeriti are at advanced ages and various stages of infirmity...seven, five, four, even 3 years can be a long time.

As regards emeritus activity as members of the committee, itself, here's a write up from one university that echoes the policy at many, at least in the United States:

"According to the Graduate College, Emeritus faculty cannot chair a committee without the approval of the Graduate College. However, Emeritus faculty can sit on committees, put together reading lists, submit questions for the Field exams, direct the Research Exam paper, and can be fifth readers. Emeritus faculty do not count as full or tenured members of committees in determining if the committee makeup satisfies Graduate College requirements."

In other words, emeriti can work with you, but they don't "count" in terms of committee requirements.

At my past and current universities, emeritus faculty were basically retired faculty that the university stopped paying but that got to keep their title and, in some cases, their office. While they did meet with students informally (sometimes, and depending on the student and depending on the prof), they could not serve as dissertation chairs, were not active in the campus/academic community, etc.

At my past and current universities, emeritus faculty were basically retired faculty that the university stopped paying but that got to keep their title and, in some cases, their office. While they did meet with students informally (sometimes, and depending on the student and depending on the prof), they could not serve as dissertation chairs, were not active in the campus/academic community, etc.

This has been my experience as well. They can be available to help you with projects if they have information that's valuable to what you're doing on occasion, but they can't be there for you on a day to day basis like an advisor. So you can certainly mention them- the fact that their research aligns with yours in the department can be significant, but you'll have to appeal to someone else for an advisor.

Edited by modernity