Northwestern

EdLearnin'

:unsure:

Hello all,

Is anyone else applying to Northwestern's phD program? It's my first choice school and I'm getting awfully anxious about it!

Yep, I am...

Earlier today, I re-re-re-checked that I had received a confirmation email from them. :unsure:

Tell me, why is Northwestern your first choice? (It's high up there for me, too)

My focus is on US-Latin American relations--I want to study the region's political, social and economic history to gain a better understanding of its current political systems, while simultaneously analyze America's involvement in, or impediment to, its political development (ie development of democracy, or lack thereof, in the region). Though NW isn't known for its Latin American studies program, it offers an interesting interdisciplinary cluster initiative that focuses on economic, political and cultural power in Latin America. It's just a good 'fit' for me and what I want to study.

:unsure:

Yep, I am...

Earlier today, I re-re-re-checked that I had received a confirmation email from them. :unsure:

Tell me, why is Northwestern your first choice? (It's high up there for me, too)

I am applying to Northwestern but the person I would work with is retiring in a few years and their new hire is a freshly-minted PhD. So it is obviously not an ideal situation for me, but I put the app in anyway. FWIW, I have a friend who started at NW in history this year and he loves it.

RDX, do you know if Dr. Penningroth is accepting any new students?

No haha I didn't have this kind of knowledge (well, I'm not super social anyways). I only know certain professors in the European/Asian realm's characteristics/preference, etc, from daily interaction. Sounds I can't be of much help here anyways XD