Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

The people who were rejected from Harvard did you just receive letters via postal service or was an email also sent to you? I haven't received either and am wondering what to do...

I think Harvard sends out rejection notices by postal service (that's what I understand), and the "rejected via e-mail" postings are from those who asked the graduate administrator by e-mail. I haven't received word either way, but I'm already presuming I'm rejected.

Edited by gariddong

The people who were rejected from Harvard did you just receive letters via postal service or was an email also sent to you? I haven't received either and am wondering what to do...

I've been wondering that too. I applied to ten programs, only heard back from 3 (two rejects, one waitlist at Yale), and haven't heard from anyone else. I'm assuming the worst, but wondering if I should e-mail the admins to see...

Advice, anyone, please?

I've just received an email from each of my two PsOI at a program to which I've been accepted, and I've been writing responses to them...for the past hour. I can't seem to unknot my tongue and respond to their awesome, unexpected emails. Being this tongue-tied is a pretty unfamiliar experience - sure, I have questions about the program, and I have questions about their recent work, but I know that most of those questions will be answered either at the recruitment weekend or by the department grad students who have volunteered to answer my questions via email. As far as their recent work goes, I know what they're each working on, roughly, and don't think that casually chatting about it over email makes sense, especially since this is a theory program.

Time keeps passing (received one email yesterday, the other about an hour ago), and the longer I go without responding, the more difficult it seems to become. Should I just thank them for taking the time to reach out and reiterate how much I look forward to meeting them at the weekend? I mean, these are two very highly respected academics - I can't just send out what is basically a form email. Can I?

Also, I'd like to congratulate every Harvard admit. The Harvard pressure has been building up around here the past few days, and it's wonderful to see so many of the forum's active posters admitted to what is clearly a lot of people's dream program. Well done, everyone!

Advice, anyone, please?

I've just received an email from each of my two PsOI at a program to which I've been accepted, and I've been writing responses to them...for the past hour. I can't seem to unknot my tongue and respond to their awesome, unexpected emails. Being this tongue-tied is a pretty unfamiliar experience - sure, I have questions about the program, and I have questions about their recent work, but I know that most of those questions will be answered either at the recruitment weekend or by the department grad students who have volunteered to answer my questions via email. As far as their recent work goes, I know what they're each working on, roughly, and don't think that casually chatting about it over email makes sense, especially since this is a theory program.

Time keeps passing (received one email yesterday, the other about an hour ago), and the longer I go without responding, the more difficult it seems to become. Should I just thank them for taking the time to reach out and reiterate how much I look forward to meeting them at the weekend? I mean, these are two very highly respected academics - I can't just send out what is basically a form email. Can I?

Also, I'd like to congratulate every Harvard admit. The Harvard pressure has been building up around here the past few days, and it's wonderful to see so many of the forum's active posters admitted to what is clearly a lot of people's dream program. Well done, everyone!

I think the best way to respond to them is to express your delight at being accepted, to thank them for taking the time to write you, to state that should any questions come up, you hope to be able to reach out and ask them, and that you hope you might be able to pull them aside and get coffee to discuss some of their thoughts in a more in-depth manner during orientation. But, as you rightly pointed out, e-mail is not the venue to ask them to describe what they've been up to for the past year!

Thanks! I'm interested in IPE, ILaw, and the political economy of international organizations.

Pick Gtown if you get in. Not only do they have the best people, but the IMF and the WB are blocks away. Also, that's my school (my MA school, ie), so I am very partial to the Hoyas.

Agreed. I’d keep it brief and professional. There will be time for more in depth discussion at an appropriate time and hopefully in person. If you have administrative questions (funding, housing options, etc), you could ask who the appropriate contact for those issues would be.

I think the best way to respond to them is to express your delight at being accepted, to thank them for taking the time to write you, to state that should any questions come up, you hope to be able to reach out and ask them, and that you hope you might be able to pull them aside and get coffee to discuss some of their thoughts in a more in-depth manner during orientation. But, as you rightly pointed out, e-mail is not the venue to ask them to describe what they've been up to for the past year!

Is Minnesota done with its admits?

I know they've been calling people, but I haven't received any kind of official email. This makes me think that they're still accepting people, although I'm not sure.

Ahh, thanks. I'm over-thinking this. It's a (sometimes bad) habit. It's just, well, first impressions, etc... Also, I'm a chronic sufferer of impostor syndrome.

K.I.S.S. is a very good rule to live by in these situations!

Sometimes I think I should get this tattooed on the back of my hand, as a constant reminder.

Then I remember that the job market is tough enough already, and I don't fancy wearing a glove for the rest of my life.

I just had a question for the Harvard admits: Does Harvard not want a writing sample? Did all you Harvard admits not submit any of your work? This seems strange...

On the Government admissions website <http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/programs_of_study/government.php>, it says "Applicants are requested not to submit writing samples".

Same goes for the Yale admits. A writing sample is not required, says the FAQ here: <http://www.yale.edu/polisci/gradprogram/applying.html>

What gives?

Hey everyone, I've been reading this forum anxiously for the past week and figured I should stop free-riding and contribute something.

After seeing the Columbia admit posts I emailed someone in the department asking when we'd get official notice, and all the person said was that GSAS will be sending out their formal acceptances "in the coming week." So looks like those in limbo will remain so a least for a few more days....