Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

For folks accepted at Washington today - do we know if they are done with acceptances? Class size?

They have selected all students for admission and for the wait-list AFAIK. The acceptance rate was 5%.

Edited by foosh

I have a friend waiting on princeton and harvard. Is the consensus that they're done with acceptances and waitlists?

I think Harvard is done with acceptances, but I don't know about waitlists.

So, if Washington is done with admits today, then there's a rejection.

Spirito - about Virginia, I have not heard anything and I have not called to check. I'm a little nervous to call....plus, I wouldn't really know what to say, still seems a little early to call.

Claiming the Notre Dame Wait List ... Does anyone know what the odds of getting in from the Wait List would be? I know it's a pretty big generalization, but they did say it's a "very short" list, so I'm just trying to figure out how hopeful I should be. It seems likely (since I haven't heard from Washington yet, I'm assuming that's a no from them) that I'll just be waiting to hear back from Notre Dame as my last real hope.

They rarely pull from the waitlist.

Well, there's that dream shot dead. This non-rejection-rejection definitely hurt a bit - this was the program I've been thinking about & aiming towards for two years.

Three years ago, I would have had a very solid shot at admittance; now, though, there are just too many applicants.

Time for a medicinal glass of Scotch.

So you mean you haven't heard from Hopkins at all, ie, implied rejection? Or were you waitlisted as well?

Anyway, I also suspected that the chances of being pulled from the list are marginal at best. I just didn't want to believe it. Difficult decisions await. That Scotch sounds good right about now.

So you mean you haven't heard from Hopkins at all, ie, implied rejection? Or were you waitlisted as well?

Anyway, I also suspected that the chances of being pulled from the list are marginal at best. I just didn't want to believe it. Difficult decisions await. That Scotch sounds good right about now.

No, not even a letter, just an assumed rejection. I do wish I had received some notice at all, even a rejection. I feel as though my application was just another leaf in the wind, blowing right past the admissions building in the heart of Baltimore.

If I do receive a notice of anything at all, it will arrive, with a footprint across it, sometime in May. My neighborhood is so bad w/r/t mail delivery that when I initiated an open case with USPS (in October, mind you), the customer service rep sighed deeply upon hearing my zip code.

On the up side, the Scotch is as good as it sounds.

I have declined University of Notre Dame's offer of admission. I am interested in Constitutional Law and Comparative Politics. I hope it would help someone, but I wasn't offered full funding as I have external funding. Best luck!

Claiming the Notre Dame Wait List ... Does anyone know what the odds of getting in from the Wait List would be? I know it's a pretty big generalization, but they did say it's a "very short" list, so I'm just trying to figure out how hopeful I should be. It seems likely (since I haven't heard from Washington yet, I'm assuming that's a no from them) that I'll just be waiting to hear back from Notre Dame as my last real hope.

I have declined University of Notre Dame's offer of admission. I am interested in Constitutional Law and Comparative Politics. I hope it would help someone, but I wasn't offered full funding as I have external funding. Best luck!

Well, that is good news for me, since I am also interested in Constitutional Law! The Con. Law area of emphasis looks great at Notre Dame. Thanks for the update, and I hope everything works out for you with your other schools!

So, if Washington is done with admits today, then there's a rejection.

Spirito - about Virginia, I have not heard anything and I have not called to check. I'm a little nervous to call....plus, I wouldn't really know what to say, still seems a little early to call.

Yeah I'm dealing with the same problem. There should be some self-help book for things like this.

i was admitted to ND and i spoke to a prof last week about the expected size of their incoming class, and i think it's very small. (he said that only 4-5 in american were admitted total! so i'm assuming it was probably 12-15 across the program.) so if people start declining, i would think that your odds are pretty good--but then again, i don't know the size of their waitlist (although i would presume small again, given the size that typically enrolls).

good luck!

i was admitted to ND and i spoke to a prof last week about the expected size of their incoming class, and i think it's very small. (he said that only 4-5 in american were admitted total! so i'm assuming it was probably 12-15 across the program.) so if people start declining, i would think that your odds are pretty good--but then again, i don't know the size of their waitlist (although i would presume small again, given the size that typically enrolls).

good luck!

Haaaaaa.........only 12 cohorts?

I'm freaking out.....!!!!

good luck!

That is good to know, thanks! So do you think they send out acceptances to the exact number of people that they want, and then offer people on the Wait List a spot one at a time when people turn it down? Do you know if you're accepting ND's offer?

That is good to know, thanks! So do you think they send out acceptances to the exact number of people that they want, and then offer people on the Wait List a spot one at a time when people turn it down? Do you know if you're accepting ND's offer?

I was under the impression that if they want to replace someone who has not accepted their offer, they will go to the wait list, but they'll pick someone from the same subfield as the first candidate. I could be wrong about that, though.

I was under the impression that if they want to replace someone who has not accepted their offer, they will go to the wait list, but they'll pick someone from the same subfield as the first candidate. I could be wrong about that, though.

That would make sense. It's looking like I'm just going to be waiting on the Wait List at Notre Dame, so hopefully they make it down to me on the list. It would be nice to know exactly where on the list I am (among people in my subfield, and just in general).

In my experience wait lists are not ranked. They are used to balance a cohort (not just by subfield but by regional or other interest and demographic characteristics) rather than just to fill spots.

Also, I am sure that ND admitted many more than 12 applicanta; they admit the number that they expect (based on previous experience) to YIELD 12 students.

That would make sense. It's looking like I'm just going to be waiting on the Wait List at Notre Dame, so hopefully they make it down to me on the list. It would be nice to know exactly where on the list I am (among people in my subfield, and just in general).

i think others in the thread have answered the questions re: how the waitlist works (i haven't the slightest idea). i don't yet know whether i'll end up at ND, but i'm certainly very interested. trying to choose between 3 really good offers right now.

and seriously, fingers crossed for you! it is a small program (they told me they only had one americanist enroll last year), so think positive thoughts. :)