Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Does Maryland send out all acceptances before rejections?

From previous years it seems they send out rolling acceptances i February and early March before a round of rejections in March and then they admit people off the wait list. Maybe someone already offered by Maryland has the inside track for this year?

Edited by mormegil

From previous years it seems they send out rolling acceptances i February and early March before a round of rejections in March and then they admit people off the wait list. Maybe someone already offered by Maryland has the inside track for this year?

I'm claiming a Maryland rejection. I'm in Political Economy/ Comparative. I'm quite surprised because it was my safety school and I got into much better places. Oh well, good luck to you all.

I'm claiming a Maryland rejection. I'm in Political Economy/ Comparative. I'm quite surprised because it was my safety school and I got into much better places. Oh well, good luck to you all.

Bases on previous results, Maryland seems already done with the admission. People who received offer in March (through mail) for the past years were international students living outside the states. will this year be different? hope so!

Sorry for jumping in, but just registered. Any word about Chicago or GWU (IR)? A friend of mine got rejection from Chicago a week and a half ago and rejection from GWU four days ago, but I haven't heard anything.

Also, have Notre Dame sent out offers of admissions to all subfield?

FYI, I got rejected by MIT and the LBJ school at UT Austin last week. Now waiting for word from the schools above and Columbia.

Sorry for jumping in, but just registered. Any word about Chicago or GWU (IR)? A friend of mine got rejection from Chicago a week and a half ago and rejection from GWU four days ago, but I haven't heard anything.

Also, have Notre Dame sent out offers of admissions to all subfield?

FYI, I got rejected by MIT and the LBJ school at UT Austin last week. Now waiting for word from the schools above and Columbia.

I haven't heard anything from Chicago or Notre Dame. I called GWU a week ago and they said decisions should be out in a month. I am really surprised that your friend heard back from them already.

I haven't heard anything from Chicago or Notre Dame. I called GWU a week ago and they said decisions should be out in a month. I am really surprised that your friend heard back from them already.

A month? I'm not sure I can wait that long without losing my mind. As for my friend, I'm not sure if the schools are sending out rejections in stages.

yes, i'm also surprised your friend already received a rejection from GW. did he/she apply to a PhD or to a masters program?

Any new Georgetown admits today? Anyone know if they're done now, or if they were doing admits by field...? Should I give up hope now? :P

If you don't hear by the end of today, I might make that assumption. Gradstudent2011 is IR is received an informal e-mail. I am American and received a call.

Ph.D. in Political Science with IR concentration. Same as me.

Oh OK. I applied to the PhD program as well and have not heard anything.... I guess we just have to wait it out :-/ and i'm wondering if the "month" time frame refers to when all final notifications will have been distributed. i would assume that those who have been accepted would start hearing within the next week or so then everyone else will hear in about a month. but that's just my guess!

If you don't hear by the end of today, I might make that assumption. Gradstudent2011 is IR is received an informal e-mail. I am American and received a call.

Rosie - Are you a Georgetown admit in American? I don't believe that was posted before. If so, congrats! I am still waiting to hear in comparative.

Edited by wannabee

Any word about Chicago or GWU (IR)? A friend of mine got rejection from Chicago a week and a half ago and rejection from GWU four days ago, but I haven't heard anything.

Perhaps the "hold" on Chicago rejections is that they are considering some students for the one-year master's programs, some with tuition waivers? This has happened in the past.

Perhaps the "hold" on Chicago rejections is that they are considering some students for the one-year master's programs, some with tuition waivers? This has happened in the past.

This is my assumption. It looks like that's what they've done in years past. It looks like, though, those decisions have typically come out in the first week of March, so I anticipate hearing soon.

does anyone know whether some schools will consider you for a masters programs even if your application indicated you were only interested in a doctoral program? At the time of the application process I was fully focused on PhD programs and figured I had a shot, so I checked the "Only PhD" box. Now i'm realizing that another masters may be my best option at this point. There's still a chance I'll get a PhD offer, but should I contact some programs right now and mention that I would be interested in being considered for the masters after all? Or is it best to just let it go at this point?

does anyone know whether some schools will consider you for a masters programs even if your application indicated you were only interested in a doctoral program? At the time of the application process I was fully focused on PhD programs and figured I had a shot, so I checked the "Only PhD" box. Now i'm realizing that another masters may be my best option at this point. There's still a chance I'll get a PhD offer, but should I contact some programs right now and mention that I would be interested in being considered for the masters after all? Or is it best to just let it go at this point?

I had a friend who realized the same thing two or three weeks ago, and he contacted a program he had been rejected from and asked to be considered for their Masters program. Looks like he might get it. I think it's probably worth a shot.

I had a friend who realized the same thing two or three weeks ago, and he contacted a program he had been rejected from and asked to be considered for their Masters program. Looks like he might get it. I think it's probably worth a shot.

thanks. so had your friend been formally rejected before he contacted the department?

Anyone know what's going on with Indiana (IUB)? I see there was a rejection posted today, but I'm still in limbo.

Of course, it's likely they are emailing me a rejection soon later on in the day.

I am still in limbo with IUB.

Georgetown admits a very large number of people...in 09 it was 92 people admitted out of 560+ applications. Not a bad number. Now, getting in with funding is another matter all together...

http://government.georgetown.edu/57323.html

I would expect that if they're still admitting a lot of people it will take a little while to notify everyone.