Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

True! Maybe we should just show up on admit day and see what they say :)

"Your letter was for last year, so I just assumed you were letting me know what a possible rejection would say in abstract, if I were to get rejected, which clearly you didn't want to do. How thoughtful of you."

Ah my smiles turn to frowns

On every entrance to the Berkeley campus, there are little metal placards embedded in the sidewalk stating that this land is the property of the Regents of the UC system and that permission to cross the threshold may be revoked at any time.

Also, just got the rejection e-mail. That hurts ... it was my top choice.

True! Maybe we should just show up on admit day and see what they say :)

"Your letter was for last year, so I just assumed you were letting me know what a possible rejection would say in abstract, if I were to get rejected, which clearly you didn't want to do. How thoughtful of you."

Ah my smiles turn to frowns

On every entrance to the Berkeley campus, there are little metal placards embedded in the sidewalk stating that this land is the property of the Regents of the UC system and that permission to cross the threshold may be revoked at any time.

Also, just got the rejection e-mail. That hurts ... it was my top choice.

Oh! Mine talks about the application for fall 2012!

Sorry stressball, it was one of my top too...but I'm still waiting for an acceptance, so its good you have one in!

Ah I guess they found their embarrassing mistake. I wonder if they'll send out corrections now.

I am lucky to have one. Except, unfortunately, their "offer" is so terrible I'm not quite sure I can count it as an offer. Perhaps it's .5 of an offer?

Sorry for the question, but... what does ".5 of an offer" mean?

On 3/1/2011 at 2:27 PM, GopherGrad said:

I had a spreadsheet.

I just stopped filling it out after the crush of acceptances came and went. I check in here a couple times a day out of habit, but I don't even really have any residual anxiety (even about Cornell).

I agree with firefly, but even if he's wrong I'll go 0-12 on Ph.D. programs, so you're still not the coolest loser.

Sorry, but I rocked here. Still waiting to hear from WashU, Columbia, Cornell, and Colorado-B (and assuming they are all rejections), I'll go 0-13.

Bad and sad, but as Firefly suggests, there's another year ahead.

Could anybody kindly tell me how many slots does NYU have for its Politics Ph.D program each year? Up to now I've seen 11 claims of acceptance, all posted on Feb 17...I was wondering if it is possible that they'll do a second round early this month....

Could anybody kindly tell me how many slots does NYU have for its Politics Ph.D program each year? Up to now I've seen 11 claims of acceptance, all posted on Feb 17...I was wondering if it is possible that they'll do a second round early this month....

OK. I checked their website and it says that they typically have 350 candidates and admit 35. Does this mean anything??

Anyone knows what's up with Brown? They're running late this year although I expect them to come out this week.

Edit: okay, I see one acceptance up in the results page.

Edited by mormegil

OK. I checked their website and it says that they typically have 350 candidates and admit 35. Does this mean anything??

I have no idea, but I'm still waiting for word from NYU as well. Also Vanderbilt and their 'notification soon' e-mail earlier.... nothing.

I also got that Berkeley correction e-mail. I had just come in and checked my e-mail, and was all hopeful that they'd made a mistake, but then... no. I didn't even notice the original date mistake what with the whole REJECTION thing preceding it.

Someone talked about negotiating funding packages with schools a few pages ago. I am in a situation where my top choice offered me a very decent package, but another school offered one that's even better. In the end I will go with my top choice, of course, but it would be nice to get the best of both worlds. Does anyone have any experience on this or know how one ought to proceed in such negotiations?

EDIT: should have done a search ()... if anyone has further insights or experiences, though, please share.

Edited by YAGSA

Is the person who posted their Vanderbilt rejection here? If so, can I ask, did you receive the previous e-mails from the school? I think there was a 'happy holidays' one and the one about notifications a week or two ago. Since I received those, I presume my address is on the contact list, but I haven't heard anything.

And congrats also to the MA accept at Western; perhaps we'll be seeing each other in the near future...

Is the person who posted their Vanderbilt rejection here? If so, can I ask, did you receive the previous e-mails from the school? I think there was a 'happy holidays' one and the one about notifications a week or two ago. Since I received those, I presume my address is on the contact list, but I haven't heard anything.

And congrats also to the MA accept at Western; perhaps we'll be seeing each other in the near future...

Poor wtncffts :(

I claim the Brown rejection. Couldn't stand it and e-mailed the DGS. Got a swift response. She said almost 300 applications this year. I think that's significantly more than they what they usually get but I'm not surprised since they are a department on the rise and there's the Ivy factor.

I claim the Brown rejection. Couldn't stand it and e-mailed the DGS. Got a swift response. She said almost 300 applications this year. I think that's significantly more than they what they usually get but I'm not surprised since they are a department on the rise and there's the Ivy factor.

Wow. That's almost as much as NYU.

I'm always curious what people say in these e-mails ... I'm not sure if I have the guts to just ask point-black about my status.