How many schools are you applying to?

Nimesis

There is a similar topic in the Applications forum, but I wanted to ask this question to people applying for MPP/MPA or similar programs. I'm applying to 5 schools and I'm wondering if that's enough so I was hoping to get some feedback/guidance from others. Also wanted to try and rejuvenate this forum, which has been dead for the past week or so...

There is a similar topic in the Applications forum, but I wanted to ask this question to people applying for MPP/MPA or similar programs. I'm applying to 5 schools and I'm wondering if that's enough so I was hoping to get some feedback/guidance from others. Also wanted to try and rejuvenate this forum, which has been dead for the past week or so...

I feel absurdly embarrassed admitting this but... thirteen schools. I had to make location fit, so maybe I applied to more schools than a geographically-unrestrained applicant would go for, but there it is! USC was one of my thirteen - see ya there maybe?!?

I feel absurdly embarrassed admitting this but... thirteen schools. I had to make location fit, so maybe I applied to more schools than a geographically-unrestrained applicant would go for, but there it is! USC was one of my thirteen - see ya there maybe?!?

mssyAK, I saw your post on the other thread and it looks like you're applying to schools in cities across the board! where are you hoping to end up?

Like Nimesis, I have only applied to 5 schools (with a possible final addition to make it 6) and feel like I might be kicking myself for it in the end. We'll see soon enough I guess!

mssyAK, I saw your post on the other thread and it looks like you're applying to schools in cities across the board! where are you hoping to end up?

Like Nimesis, I have only applied to 5 schools (with a possible final addition to make it 6) and feel like I might be kicking myself for it in the end. We'll see soon enough I guess!

truthfully i'd be happy anywhere i applied - i've been living in LA for the past three years and would like to be closer to my family on the east coast. i'm so excited to go back to school it's disgusting!

• 1 month later...

I'm applying to four:

Carnegie Mellon 3 semester MSPPM - they gave me 60% scholarship already.

HKS MPP

Cornell MPA

Syracuse MPA/MA-IR

I'm still working on Syracuse & Cornell (Syr is due on Tuesday, I know...)

I live in DC and am not applying to a single DC school. I want to get OUTTA HERE for a year or two! I thought about the Carnegie Mellon DC track but I met a handful of current students and some of their internships were particularly unimpressive (i.e. unpaid intern for a junior senator), so I don't think Carnegie Mellon is doing a good job of leveraging alums or anything else to help their students find internships/fellowships.

I'm psyched about their Pittsburgh 3 semester program though. Also psyched about Cornell...now I just have to write their damn essay #2....

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I applied to 10. Looking back, I wish I'd had more confidence in myself and not applied to 2 of them. Overall, though, I'm glad I applied to that many - financial aid is never certain, and I liked having a lot of options when I was deciding.

Just to clarify... (I'm in the DC program at CMU)

That unpaid student is the exception, not the rule. All but I think 3ish students in the last 3 years have been paid, and paid well. Apprenticeships have been at World Bank, Institute for Defense Analysis, DoE, EIA, State, EPA, B&D Consulting, NCIS (unpaid), and Deloitte. The apprenticeship is largely dependent on student's interests and background. If you have a focus area going in, and know where you want to be, they have many connections and ways of helping that happen. If you are unclear in your path, or too general, than the positions are less prestigious. If you want to be in a think tank or on the hill, you may have to take an unpaid position - but there is federal community workstudy for that, too.

I know this year, USAID, State, DoE, RFF, Deloitte, and some charter schools are the big focus, because that is where student interest lies. There is also a 100% employment rate for the DC program. We have our own career services person who used to direct the whole Heinz career center, and they work with us one-on-one. I don't want you to have the wrong impression of the program!

The 3 semester and 2 year Pittsburgh programs are great too, though - Pittsburgh is an amazing place to live, and there are certainly enough class options to fill your time.

I'm applying to four:

Carnegie Mellon 3 semester MSPPM - they gave me 60% scholarship already.

HKS MPP

Cornell MPA

Syracuse MPA/MA-IR

I'm still working on Syracuse & Cornell (Syr is due on Tuesday, I know...)

I live in DC and am not applying to a single DC school. I want to get OUTTA HERE for a year or two! I thought about the Carnegie Mellon DC track but I met a handful of current students and some of their internships were particularly unimpressive (i.e. unpaid intern for a junior senator), so I don't think Carnegie Mellon is doing a good job of leveraging alums or anything else to help their students find internships/fellowships.

I'm psyched about their Pittsburgh 3 semester program though. Also psyched about Cornell...now I just have to write their damn essay #2....

Edited by mppgal55

The 3 semester and 2 year Pittsburgh programs are great too, though - Pittsburgh is an amazing place to live, and there are certainly enough class options to fill your time.

Thanks for that - I applied to the 2 year Pittsburgh program and IF I get in I was worried I'd regret not doing the DC track... But if I'm not mistaken, there is a way to transfer over to the DC track, right?

They're very clear on wanting as close to 25 people as possible in the DC program, and usually they only admit that number. Some people choose not to come, and then there are some open DC spots. They then accept applications from the 2 yr/3 semester folks. This year, they admitted 5 people from the other programs about 1 month into the academic year. It isn't a guarantee - the demand to switch is much higher than the number of open spots - but it is certainly possible.

Thanks for that - I applied to the 2 year Pittsburgh program and IF I get in I was worried I'd regret not doing the DC track... But if I'm not mistaken, there is a way to transfer over to the DC track, right?

Edited by mppgal55