Food stamps ...

A00226270

Hello all,

I am a full-time student who lives with my parents. I buy my own foods and cook my own foods. I work as a part-time at UPS.. 20 hours a week.

I applied for food stamps and only got $48 a month... I was expecting $160-200 because I read this site http://www.masslegal...-stamps/college

I did told her that I was in college.. but she didn't send anything about college.. a proof or something... perhaps they don't know that I am in college or what?

You think I should be getting around $160-200? I am completely broke..I. have no money into my bank account.. also, I help my parents a bit with rents.

I don't understand why I only got $48.

Perhaps it changed? That was posted in 2009. I am going to print it and show it to them.

Edited by A00226270

Hello all,

I am a full-time student who lives with my parents. I buy my own foods and cook my own foods. I work as a part-time at UPS.. 20 hours a week.

I applied for food stamps and only got $48 a month... I was expecting $160-200 because I read this site http://www.masslegal...-stamps/college

I did told her that I was in college.. but she didn't send anything about college.. a proof or something... perhaps they don't know that I am in college or what?

You think I should be getting around $160-200? I am completely broke..I. have no money into my bank account.. also, I help my parents a bit with rents.

I don't understand why I only got $48.

Perhaps it changed? That was posted in 2009. I am going to print it and show it to them.

From the website you linked: "The benefit amount you can get is calculated based on what is known as “countable income” and on certain “deductible expenses” that you have.

Countable income includes:

• “Earned Income,” such as wage earnings from a job (however, income from a federal work-study program is not counted as income)
  • “Unearned Income,” such as direct money payments from your parents. Most educational monies are not counted if from federal funds, or if used to cover educational expenses (tuition, fees, books, and supplies)"

Food stamp amounts vary depending on your income. Since you have earned income from your job, you will not get the full amount- if you were making absolutely no money, you would get $160-200. From what I can tell, being in college may help you be eligible, but will not qualify you for more money. Hope this helps, and I wish I could point you toward other kinds of financial assistance, but maybe someone else on here knows more than I do. Good luck!

Yeah, but I only make $120-130 a week, plus I help my parents pay rents and I buy my own food which I spend about $100-110 a week. I want at least $100.. that would help me out a lot. Forty eight dollars only last me 2-3 days..

Other kinds of financial assistance? What kinds? Seems like someone else on here haven't wrote anything, so can you tell me what other kinds? :^_^

Yeah, but I only make $120-130 a week, plus I help my parents pay rents and I buy my own food which I spend about $100-110 a week. I want at least $100.. that would help me out a lot. Forty eight dollars only last me 2-3 days..

Other kinds of financial assistance? What kinds? Seems like someone else on here haven't wrote anything, so can you tell me what other kinds? :^_^

$48 only lasts you 2-3 days??? What in the world are you buying? I can feed a family of six for almost a week for $48.

Learn to cook cheaper food--and be glad that you get something. Some of us don't qualify even though our income is pretty low.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll sympathize with your plight, but something seems fishy here. How can you only make $120-130/wk working 20 hours a week? I don't know the U.S minimum wage, but I'm pretty sure it's higher than $6-$6.50. There's something amiss with that statement. If that is indeed the case, you need to find yourself a better job.

In addition, I'll echo what others have said. In my undergrad years, I lived on $30 a week, so $48 is plenty. That's roughly $7 a day, you know.

EDIT: I've realized the thread has been dead for a couple weeks, so apologizes for the necropost.

Edited by Canuckonomist