2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

1 hour ago, kt_tje said:

Officially heard back from Dalhousie! Good luck to all the people that are waiting, you’ll hear soon!

amazing! If you don’t mind me asking what was their decision? Just trying to figure out if they’re still sending acceptances or mostly waitlist/rejection

2 hours ago, cornpop15 said:

amazing! If you don’t mind me asking what was their decision? Just trying to figure out if they’re still sending acceptances or mostly waitlist/rejection

I was rejected. Sucks because it was my best shot but I’m not sure what exactly their criteria is for rejection, so I’m just glad I gave it my best shot. Shame they wouldn’t take me but there’s still hope for UofA as I was waitlisted. If anyone knows historically how fast the waitlist moves that would be great to know :)

Thought I would chime because I know this is a gruelling process, especially when the waiting is all thats left.

I also received news from Dal this morning via email (5:43am MT) of a rejection. They said they had over 500 applicants for the two programs this year. 

Prior to this, I had been waitlisted at both Western and McGill, rejected from U of A and no interview from McMasters. I also sent off three applications to Australia through OzTrekk (a company that helps guide you through as an international student pursuing all kinds of professional programs and they made it so all applications were free which was quite nice), and was looking into online SLP programs through the states.

This Wednesday I received a call from McGill that I was next on the waitlist and have since accepted their offer. Real talk: this was my fourth year applying and it is very difficult/disheartening when the criteria for what each school is looking for is a mystery. I truly wish everyone the best luck in future applications, still waiting to hear back, and in their programs that start in the fall. 

xox

17 minutes ago, RDHtoSLP96 said:

Thought I would chime because I know this is a gruelling process, especially when the waiting is all thats left.

I also received news from Dal this morning via email (5:43am MT) of a rejection. They said they had over 500 applicants for the two programs this year. 

Prior to this, I had been waitlisted at both Western and McGill, rejected from U of A and no interview from McMasters. I also sent off three applications to Australia through OzTrekk (a company that helps guide you through as an international student pursuing all kinds of professional programs and they made it so all applications were free which was quite nice), and was looking into online SLP programs through the states.

This Wednesday I received a call from McGill that I was next on the waitlist and have since accepted their offer. Real talk: this was my fourth year applying and it is very difficult/disheartening when the criteria for what each school is looking for is a mystery. I truly wish everyone the best luck in future applications, still waiting to hear back, and in their programs that start in the fall. 

xox

That’s amazing! I’m really glad it worked out for you. It’s definitely gruelling and it does suck when you really don’t know what they’re considering but getting into McGill is awesome! Congratulations, all your hard work finally has paid off 🥹

Is anyone aware of how many people apply to SLP at the UofA? I heard during covid it was around 150-200 people which doesn't seem like a lot, but wondering if anyone knows these stats for UofA this year? I'm guessing it's probably much less than the Ontario schools

5 minutes ago, SLPAB said:

Is anyone aware of how many people apply to SLP at the UofA? I heard during covid it was around 150-200 people which doesn't seem like a lot, but wondering if anyone knows these stats for UofA this year? I'm guessing it's probably much less than the Ontario schools

I tried looking them up once and couldn’t find them 😕

23 minutes ago, SLPAB said:

I’ve always wondered this too. They also don’t release how many people are on the waitlist ;/ U of A seems to be a lot more secretive about their numbers compared to any other school. 

Edited by Hopefulspeechi

4 minutes ago, Hopefulspeechi said:

I’ve always wondered this too. They also don’t release how many people are on the waitlist ;/ U of A seems to be a lot more secretive about their numbers compared to any other school. 

It kinda makes sense as to why they wouldn’t tell people where on the waitlist they are (at least, I can see their logic) but it does seem odd that they don’t release historic numbers of how many people get in or are waitlisted 😕

31 minutes ago, speech2024bc said:

Anyone heard anything from UBCs waitlist??

From what i've read people are having difficulties accepting their offers. The system is being weird? If thats the case we likely wont hear anything until they have a chance to formally accept. The wait is killing me tho!

2 hours ago, IslandSpeechGrad said:

Did you get in??

Nope! Rejected. Sent an email to my potential supervisor thanking him for the opportunity to work under him today but that it isn’t possible…

EDIT: still having hope for UofA though, the more I put it out into the universe the more I have faith. Grad school isn’t the final destination or the end all be all but I’d love to be a part of it if fate allows!

Edited by kt_tje

On 4/17/2024 at 4:18 PM, issaSLP said:

Anybody else on UofT’s waiting list receive an email to activate their JOINid? I’m just confused because in order to activate it, it requires your UofT student number which is indicated in your offer letter (the waitlist letter didn’t give a student number)? If anyone knows how to proceed let me know! Thanks! 😊 

I got an email about this on the 17th. I'm not sure what to do either

39 minutes ago, kt_tje said:

Nope! Rejected. Sent an email to my potential supervisor thanking him for the opportunity to work under him today but that it isn’t possible…

EDIT: still having hope for UofA though, the more I put it out into the universe the more I have faith. Grad school isn’t the final destination or the end all be all but I’d love to be a part of it if fate allows!

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear this. Don’t give up! It will all work out as it should!

I know someone that just got off the wait list for western audiology. She was first quadrant!! 

1 hour ago, FutureSLP_hopefully said:

Hi! Has anyone heard anything about UofA’s waitlist? Are they done sending out offers? This is so stressful! 

Hey I reached out and was told by the advisor that they sent out most waitlist offers last week and that if we don't hear back by the end of April, it is likely all the spots for the cohort are filled 

27 minutes ago, slp2024hopeful said:

Hey I reached out and was told by the advisor that they sent out most waitlist offers last week and that if we don't hear back by the end of April, it is likely all the spots for the cohort are filled 

Thank you for the info, I was hoping they still had lots of spots to fill :( this is a very tough process… 

28 minutes ago, slp2024hopeful said:

This is good to know, thank you! I will say I’ve heard of people getting waitlist offers all the way into August, just less likely than it is now.

Edited by kt_tje

2 hours ago, slpgirl0613 said:

Hi! Has anyone heard anything from Western's SLP waitlist?

Hello! I got off the Western SLP waitlist this morning at 11:00 am. I was in the first quadrant. This was my 4th cycle applying to UWO SLP, I was waitlisted twice (2020 and 2021) and rejected once (2022) before getting in this cycle! I accepted the offer! Best of luck to everyone else on the waitlist; be kind to yourself during the process 🤍