2024 Canada Prep & Admissions SLP Thread

On 4/19/2024 at 4:28 PM, RDHtoSLP96 said:

I also received news from Dal this morning via email (5:43am MT) of a rejection. They said they had over 500 applicants for the two programs this year. 

Dal has around 35 seats for both programs...that's a 7% acceptance rate 🥲 Someone could've legit been top 10% of applicants but still not have gotten in

So another reminder that an acceptance does not define your worth! Doesnt matter if, next year, you're attending an SLP/Audio program, improving your application or discovering a new path, either way, you'll continue to grow and learn as a person! It's all part of the process, its never the end, just one path of many ❤️ 

Edited by Live Laugh Lobe

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into the experiences between McGill and Western. I got off the waitlist for McGill (and accepted) but have recently been offered a spot off of the Western waitlist. Now I'm trying to decide between the two (and I have less than a day to respond!). I don't speak French so that makes me nervous about McGill (but maybe it shouldn't?) Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice or insight, thank you!

1 hour ago, SLP_PLS123 said:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into the experiences between McGill and Western. I got off the waitlist for McGill (and accepted) but have recently been offered a spot off of the Western waitlist. Now I'm trying to decide between the two (and I have less than a day to respond!). I don't speak French so that makes me nervous about McGill (but maybe it shouldn't?) Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice or insight, thank you!

I can’t speak specifically to the schools and the programs but I like London as a city more compared to Montreal. I’m from Edmonton and find Montreal way busier and the commuting around London is a lot easier. Montreal is way more of a “city” vibe though if that’s what you’re going for.  That’s just my opinion though! 
I know the academic piece of it is super important but it’s also important to consider the city since you will be living there for two years !!

Edited by Hopefulspeechi

8 minutes ago, Hopefulspeechi said:

I can’t speak specifically to the schools and the programs but I like London as a city more compared to Montreal. I’m from Edmonton and find Montreal way busier and the commuting around London is a lot easier. Montreal is way more of a “city” vibe though if that’s what you’re going for.  That’s just my opinion though! 
I know the academic piece of it is super important but it’s also important to consider the city since you will be living there for two years !!

That's very helpful! I'm living in Calgary right now, but I'm from a smaller town in BC and even Calgary is a lot for me at times haha. So thank you for mentioning that as something to consider!

1 hour ago, SLP_PLS123 said:

As someone from Montreal, the city is absolutely beautiful! There's so much culture here and most people I run into are very nice and welcoming. If you're worried about speaking French, I wouldn't be too much. You'll mostly be downtown I'm assuming where pretty much everywhere you go people are bilingual :)  Hope this helps!

4 hours ago, SLP_PLS123 said:

Hey! I've spoken to a few people who are finishing/ed the program at McGill and they are monolingual, English-speaking. They told me that there are fewer opportunities for them to do their clinical placements because they are not bilingual, so they cannot do it in a place like a hospital or a school.

18 hours ago, Justspeechie24 said:

Hello! I got off the Western SLP waitlist this morning at 11:00 am. I was in the first quadrant. This was my 4th cycle applying to UWO SLP, I was waitlisted twice (2020 and 2021) and rejected once (2022) before getting in this cycle! I accepted the offer! Best of luck to everyone else on the waitlist; be kind to yourself during the process 🤍

Congratulations!!!! It was a journey but you deserve this!

16 hours ago, SLP_PLS123 said:

Both are great options from what I’ve heard. Western specifically I have heard a lot of praise from. Since I live in Ontario and have a good friend who has done her masters in SLP there she has said it is an amazing school, very hands-on and interactive. She also mentioned that she was able to get a job easily right after completing the masters. She felt that the school prepared the students, gave them tons of clinical opportunities and felt like a family of students working together to help one another throughout the program. She also talked a lot about the professors and how they genuinely care about you and want you to succeed. Again I haven’t heard much about McGills program, but have heard a lot of good things from westerns. 

19 hours ago, SLP_PLS123 said:

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptances!!

i know several people in the SLP program at McGill. Ive heard its extremely theory based. Also If you do not speak french, it may be difficult to find a placement. 

i didnt get accepted into Western but ive heard great things, specifically the clinical placements. I also heard that western is less focused on the theory and more focused on hands on experience (which is amazing!)

Goodluck with your decision, I know its not easy 

16 hours ago, iheartslp said:

Hey! I've spoken to a few people who are finishing/ed the program at McGill and they are monolingual, English-speaking. They told me that there are fewer opportunities for them to do their clinical placements because they are not bilingual, so they cannot do it in a place like a hospital or a school.

For their placements, did they say where they were able to actually do them? Like private clinics or after school care/childcare? Or did they go out of province for it?

21 hours ago, SLP_PLS123 said:

Hi! Firstly, congratulations! I don't know much about Western's program. However, I do know people who have graduated from the McGill SLP program. I heard that McGill offers a program that is very theory-based and involves less practical work. There are some internships throughout the program but I heard that it's not sufficient as the focus is more on theory. As someone who is from Montreal, you can for sure get around speaking English, especially downtown! Although the main language is French, Montreal is a very multicultural city and a lot of people are bilingual! There are internships throughout the program but I am sure they will allow you to complete your internships in locations that are "more anglophone". Hope this helps :)

Hello hello! For those who are accepting your UBC offers, are you having problem with paying the deposit?

I guess the website is probably not fixed yet, but I did get to proceed to the accept/decline offer page (new progress!) today. But the website doesn't let me proceed to the payment page (nothing happened when I clicked To Payment)

I know that they haven't made an announcement about whether the page is fixed or not yet, but still wonder if anyone else has the same experience. 

21 hours ago, RDHtoSLP96 said:

For their placements, did they say where they were able to actually do them? Like private clinics or after school care/childcare? Or did they go out of province for it?

I think they told me it's on campus

On 4/23/2024 at 2:38 PM, speechy22 said:

Hi! Firstly, congratulations! I don't know much about Western's program. However, I do know people who have graduated from the McGill SLP program. I heard that McGill offers a program that is very theory-based and involves less practical work. There are some internships throughout the program but I heard that it's not sufficient as the focus is more on theory. As someone who is from Montreal, you can for sure get around speaking English, especially downtown! Although the main language is French, Montreal is a very multicultural city and a lot of people are bilingual! There are internships throughout the program but I am sure they will allow you to complete your internships in locations that are "more anglophone". Hope this helps :)

Oooh interesting, I know McGill revamped the program in the past couple of years, were they in the program recently or a few years ago?

Quick question for anyone that sees it: do people email back places that have waitlisted you? I kind of always assumed that it wouldn’t even get looked at or it would be bothering admin staff / do little about you being waitlisted but I’ve seen some people talk about responding to waitlist emails thanking them for their time and continuing to show interest in the program. Is that considered appropriate? 

Edited by kt_tje

1 hour ago, Newfieslp said:

Hi guys. First post here! Just wondering if anyone heard anything from dal last week? Or is there a significant amount of people who have still not heard anything? 

Haven’t heard anything! I have been emailing and they told me someone would get back to me soon but that was a week ago 😕 I ended up accepting an offer at an american school

2 hours ago, cornpop15 said:

Haven’t heard anything! I have been emailing and they told me someone would get back to me soon but that was a week ago 😕 I ended up accepting an offer at an american school

I also have not heard back from Dal, and also accepted an offer at an American school, would still love to hear my admission decision from them!

5 hours ago, cornpop15 said:

How frustrating! Fingers crossed to hear this week. I don’t have super high hopes but it would be wonderful to have closure 😂!