"Large" Typo In CV - How to Approach?

itsbcos

So after submitting two of my applications for grad school, I was preparing the third application's CV (I submitted my CV under Additional Info sections) when I found out that somehow I misspelled curriculum ("Cirriculum") in heading of my CV, so it's in a slightly larger font than usual <_<. It didn't show up in the spell check since it was in Small Caps, and myself as well as everyone who read over my CV and myself didn't manage to catch it during the numerous reads of my CV. I contacted both of the schools to inquire aboout how I would go about submitting an "updated" CV, and both mentioned that this document wouldn't replace my old CV, it would just be added to my file. This puts me in a wierd position.

On one hand, if I leave the typo in the CV, the professors might not catch it, as they could just glance at the document and recognize from the formatting that it's a CV, subsequently just scanning through to find the info of interest. I mean, if a few professors who were reading through my CV more stringently didn't catch it, then maybe I can assume that professors wouldn't catch it easily. On the same hand, the professor could see the typo, but then again - if a professor isn't interested in me because of the typo, then I don't know if I'd want to work with him/her.

On the other hand, I could submit an updated version with other updates added to the CV besides the spelling change, but this might cause the typo to be more noticeable since there will be two copies. However, by submitting a correction, it might show that I recognized that there was a mistake and fixed it instead of just letting it slide.

What do you guys think? I'm kinda torn here and I'm not making any headway.

Doom.

Just kidding - I don't think it's a big deal. It's slightly unfortunate that it's a phonetic typo, because if it were a random consonant, it would be 100% clear that you made a typo and not that you might potentially not know how to spell the word curriculum (which could conceivably be phonetically spelled with an "i"). However, they're right next to each other on the keyboard, so I suspect no one will think anything of it.

Just let it go. Professors need to read dozens of CVs, and they eventually don't even read the heading but dive directly into what they are interested in (research, education, etc.) What you don't want to do is swamp them with MORE documents and make them sift through a huge pile, which they'll find annoying, and probably won't get them into a very "accepting mood".

There's probably a good chance they won't even notice it - you didn't at first. So I wouldn't sweat it either, they'll go straight for what's on it and will be more interested in its contents.

I just found TWO typos in a version of my CV that I submitted two weeks ago... the best thing I've been able to do is stop facepalming so much. It's embarrassing, but yeah, probably not that big of a deal.

But seriously, I'm just hoping they don't notice them at all. Hopefully they'll be blinded by my resplendent track record rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't worry about it -- "submitting a correction" seems like it would just draw unnecessary attention for a very small thing. Prof's have to scour hundreds of CVs, so you're probably in the clear for at least a majority of them scanning right over it (it's not like they have to read the words "Curriculum Vitae" very closely -- they know what they're reading). Good luck!