Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

Hi friend!

I'll call my friend at NYU today to find out what constitutes end of the week plus if we should take what they said serious at all. Do you know what sucks the most at my end? My Circadian rhythm is totally down these days as I live in a different time zone. I had to check my emails 4 times at 1, 2, 3, 4 AM when I eventually could rest for a couple of hours. I hate myself for wasting my time. I had to put the co-authoring of an interesting linganthro article on hold since I hardly can get focused on anything,

I'm overanalyzing all the posts in this forum to the level of OCD. To be honest with you, one second I think I can get in NYU, the other second I would make sure for myself that how on earth I could get in NYU since it's one of the most competitive programs and there are scores of highly qualified applicants, I then proceed to overanalyze what I said during my interviews, I blame myself for I didn't say this or I said that! I need to see a psychiatrist immediately, right? Oh guess what? the worst of all: gmail which I identified as my corresponding email address with schools has been blocked in Iran after the last illegal demonstration. I hope at least this forum wouldn't be monitored by the ................ in................. I had to switch to my hotmail account which I used to use it long time ago in order to retrieve my gmail emails via hotmail. Do you know what sucks even worse: there would be a time lag for such retrieval, meaning, I'll have to keep checking my hotmail until later, considering the retrieval lag.

Persiandoc, I have the same question re. what constitutes end of the week! I'm thinking they mean Friday?

Hi friend!

I'll call my friend at NYU today to find out what constitutes end of the week plus if we should take what they said serious at all. Do you know what sucks the most at my end? My Circadian rhythm is totally down these days as I live in a different time zone. I had to check my emails 4 times at 1, 2, 3, 4 AM when I eventually could rest for a couple of hours. I hate myself for wasting my time. I had to put the co-authoring of an interesting linganthro article on hold since I hardly can get focused on anything,

I'm overanalyzing all the posts in this forum to the level of OCD. To be honest with you, one second I think I can get in NYU, the other second I would make sure for myself that how on earth I could get in NYU since it's one of the most competitive programs and there are scores of highly qualified applicants, I then proceed to overanalyze what I said during my interviews, I blame myself for I didn't say this or I said that! I need to see a psychiatrist immediately, right? Oh guess what? the worst of all: gmail which I identified as my corresponding email address with schools has been blocked in Iran after the last illegal demonstration. I hope at least this forum wouldn't be monitored by the ................ in................. I had to switch to my hotmail account which I used to use it long time ago in order to retrieve my gmail emails via hotmail. Do you know what sucks even worse: there would be a time lag for such retrieval, meaning, I'll have to keep checking my hotmail until later, considering the retrieval lag.

Ok first of all, you are not alone in feeling seriously bipolar. One second, I am grinning from ear to ear because I think "you know what, I'm sure I got in! Of course I did!". Literally within five minutes, I'm all mopey and think "No, who am I kidding?! Why did I choose that writing sample? Why didn't I retake the GREs?! WHYYYY".

But, you know what? Either we got in or we didn't. And stressing doesn't do anything except give us horrible stomach pain and insomnia. Soon enough, we will know and then we can move on with our lives!!

Re. the gmail block, I am so sorry to hear that :|. I don't know if I can help in any way, but if you need anything, PM me.

Let me know what your friend at NYU says! Cheers :)

Edited by dlb89

Whatever comes out of this application season, I'm happy that I've made a few good friends in this forum, some of who would get in some good programs. I will definitely keep you updated. Re. your offer of help with my gmail, that is TOO KIND of you. I'll drop you a line in case I may need your help but for now, I've rerouted to my own hotmail account. You know what's ironic about the gmail block? I still can check it through mobile. Mobile system is managed by state authorities while the DSL servers are usually private. Although it's ........... slow, I will use it as a recourse.

Just for a second picture this September day that we both are in NYU's campus! That's enough, HAHAHAHA!

Cheers

Ok first of all, you are not alone in feeling seriously bipolar. One second, I am grinning from ear to ear because I think "you know what, I'm sure I got in! Of course I did!". Literally within five minutes, I'm all mopey and think "No, who am I kidding?! Why did I choose that writing sample? Why didn't I retake the GREs?! WHYYYY".

But, you know what? Either we got in or we didn't. And stressing doesn't do anything except give us horrible stomach pain and insomnia. Soon enough, we will know and then we can move on with our lives!!

Re. the gmail block, I am so sorry to hear that :|. I don't know if I can help in any way, but if you want to reroute things to my account or something, PM me.

Let me know what your friend at NYU says! Cheers :)

Whatever comes out of this application season, I'm happy that I've made a few good friends in this forum, some of who would get in some good programs. I will definitely keep you updated. Re. your offer of help with my gmail, that is TOO KIND of you. I'll drop you a line in case I may need your help but for now, I've rerouted to my own hotmail account. You know what's ironic about the gmail block? I still can check it through mobile. Mobile system is managed by state authorities while the DSL servers are usually private. Although it's ........... slow, I will use it as a recourse.

Just for a second picture this September day that we both are in NYU's campus! That's enough, HAHAHAHA!

Cheers

Hahaha, okay that mental image is too cruel! I'm already trying to erase the one of us leisurely drinking cosmos, being sophisticated NYU PHD STUDENTS! Ughh. How cruel is the human imagination?

So strange that you can still check via your mobile. I've actually set up a filter with my gmail account so it sends me my e-mail as an SMS as opposed to in e-mail form. Not sure if this would get around the issue of accessing your g-mail?

LOL!

I really don't know how I could use this filtering facility. I'm not even sure if such facilities would work in Iran at all!

Hahaha, okay that mental image is too cruel! I'm already trying to erase the one of us leisurely drinking cosmos, being sophisticated NYU PHD STUDENTS! Ughh. How cruel is the human imagination?

So strange that you can still check via your mobile. I've actually set up a filter with my gmail account so it sends me my e-mail as an SMS as opposed to in e-mail form. Not sure if this would get around the issue of accessing your g-mail?

Just checked my Michigan's profile and found something new: there's this new tab named "view decision". When I clicked it, it reads: "A decision has been made. Your program of application will inform you of the decision."

I gather I'm rejected since the others got their acceptance not me. I think Michigan goes under the category of schools that inform the admits before the rejects. I bet you now hear my heart beats,

Just checked my Michigan's profile and found something new: there's this new tab named "view decision". When I clicked it, it reads: "A decision has been made. Your program of application will inform you of the decision."

I gather I'm rejected since the others got their acceptance not me. I think Michigan goes under the category of schools that inform the admits before the rejects. I bet you now hear my heart beats,

Hey Habibi,

exactly the same here. I think our UMichigan mortal blow is near. NYU will come out tonight! I feel like spending the day in drunkenness and stupor!

Peace,

S.

Merhaba ya Ghaly, Shlunik?

You have no idea what I've been through from yesterday evening. I can't even go to the gym coz it's Friday as you know! To tell you the truth, I just don't care about Michigan BUT NYU is just the fulfilling of a lot of my dreams. Are you sure NYU gods would reveal their final list by tonight? You got any idea how long I should stay up and watchful if I'm +8:30 EST?

Inshallah b'lkhair!

Hey Habibi,

exactly the same here. I think our UMichigan mortal blow is near. NYU will come out tonight! I feel like spending the day in drunkenness and stupor!

Peace,

S.

Presiandoc, I feel for you. I think what has helped me is that tantalizing email I got from a professor, otherwise I'd feel totally lost. Once I hear from word from Michigan and NYU I'll be sure to post here first thing so that you know right away what emails were sent out. I know it wont help you relax at all, but its something, right?

Oh my friend!

Thank you so much for your relieving words and supportive post. Princeton is really amazing and they have absolutely eye catching funding package. It's been definitely one of my top choices. I keep checking the results page every second and I'm still hopeful since I've found no notifications on NYU sociocultural there yet. Is Princeton your first choice or what?

For you all to know, my NYU friend said that they also don't know anything about the acceptances yet and the decision makers are taking everything hush hush! She said she got her phone call last year on Friday late afternoon. If none of us hears from them, it means our hope would still be alive and then we have to wait some extra days and don't forget Monday is also off!

I truly appreciate everyone who may hear from Michigan, Princeton and NYU if they please post their updates asap, either in the results page or here in this friendly forum.

Thanks all!

Presiandoc, I feel for you. I think what has helped me is that tantalizing email I got from a professor, otherwise I'd feel totally lost. Once I hear from word from Michigan and NYU I'll be sure to post here first thing so that you know right away what emails were sent out. I know it wont help you relax at all, but its something, right?

Oh my friend!

Thank you so much for your relieving words and supportive post. Princeton is really amazing and they have absolutely eye catching funding package. It's been definitely one of my top choices. I keep checking the results page every second and I'm still hopeful since I've found no notifications on NYU sociocultural there yet. Is Princeton your first choice or what?

For you all to know, my NYU friend said that they also don't know anything about the acceptances yet and the decision makers are taking everything hush hush! She said she got her phone call last year on Friday late afternoon. If none of us hears from them, it means our hope would still be alive and then we have to wait some extra days and don't forget Monday is also off!

I truly appreciate everyone who may hear from Michigan, Princeton and NYU if they please post their updates asap, either in the results page or here in this friendly forum.

Thanks all!

I hope today is your day, persiandoc!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you -- hopefully Princeton, NYU, and Yale notify you sooner rather than later!

That is too kind of you darling, I promise to give you all active and supprotive users a good treat in NYC if I can get in somewhere!

I hope today is your day, persiandoc!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you -- hopefully Princeton, NYU, and Yale notify you sooner rather than later!

Oh my friend!

Thanks all!

Absolutely. I can't help by sympathize with your situation (I've had my own bouts of sever anxiety and worry) and I'll do whatever I can to keep you updated. I think Princeton is hugely competitive and there is a great chance for me to grow there, so I'd say its definitely top tier. I'm waiting on Michigan, NYU, and Duke yet- but it looks like Michigan did let some admits know already through email. I'll hit this board up as soon as official word comes through. Trust me, I keep hitting the results page too, but I don't know what good that will do me. Hang tight, we're in this things together.

Oh my friend!

Thanks all!

Friday afternoons is when it all will happens. Got Davis on a Friday around 7pm, and Rutgers Thursday on 7pm (GMT+1). I feel it something will happen today! Fingers crossed for you and all the others.

Where is this new tab? Once you log in with your friend account and then go to 'new and prospective student business?'

Never mind, found it. Mine says the same thing. I'm also assuming I didn't get in because I'm linguistic anthro and there seems to be a few people who already got acceptances for Michigan in that field. Sad. It's my first choice. Going crazy. Just need one acceptance.

Where is this new tab? Once you log in with your friend account and then go to 'new and prospective student business?'

Same here honey! Did you get in Chicago or waitlisted? I hope you'd get in Columbia or NYU!

Never mind, found it. Mine says the same thing. I'm also assuming I didn't get in because I'm linguistic anthro and there seems to be a few people who already got acceptances for Michigan in that field. Sad. It's my first choice. Going crazy. Just need one acceptance.

six sociocultural people will be admitted to NYU this year

I wonder how many have been interviewed. Persiandoc mentioned that some get in without interview, but that might just be the ones coming out of NYU.

No word on Chicago yet. My current adviser called one of his colleagues and they said that ALL decisions haven't been made yet. So still some hope. If you don't get into the PhD program, they sometimes make offers for MAPSS instead.

Same here honey! Did you get in Chicago or waitlisted? I hope you'd get in Columbia or NYU!

I wonder how many have been interviewed. Persiandoc mentioned that some get in without interview, but that might just be the ones coming out of NYU.

i know someone who is supposedly still being considered that didn't get interview. i don't know if that only happens for folks who are not past nyu students. i would assume that they wouldn't need to interview people that someone in the dept is familiar with and i think that it's possible for someone to be familiar without having been a past student at nyu, you know?

Hey anthros,

Just got an email from Princeton. OMG! I'm still suspended in the air. I've been waitlisted! It's hard to be polite at this moment! I've got no idea how short this list is or where do I stand in the waitlist. Plz do help me with your info and updates! Anybody else has been waitlisted? Any statistical info would be welcome!