Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

I saw others commenting about Stanford- and I am still a little confused as to where/what they are doing too. It seems that no one here, except one poster, wrote that they heard from stanford. And that poster said it was " a friend". Just saying, seems like stuff with them is still really ambiguous, don't you think?

Hi. That poster on Stanford was me. The friend I was talking about was my partner's sister, so I'm inclined to believe her.She received an acceptance via e-mail to Stanford Anthro last week after having a phone interview with them a couple of days before. She received the formal letter this week with a nice funding package ($25,000/year stipend) and a $600 travel grant to visit the campus. I don't know what this means for other folks waiting to hear from Stanford. We can speculate that since she got a nice offer they may be trying to snatch her up quickly and they handle admits on a rolling basis. Or we can speculate that everyone gets a nice funding package and all admits have heard by now. Or we can speculate that all admits have heard by now no matter their funding.

We can speculate a lot and nothing is for certain until you personally receive your letter, whatever its contents. I just thought I'd put this info out there in case it's useful to anyone. If you'd prefer to consider it gossip to help you get through the difficult process, I can't say I blame you.

Edited by quiqui

Yeah, do email them and try to find out where you stand in this haunting wait-list,

thanks persiandoc. You are probably right. We probably would have heard something by now from harvard.

RE: Berkeley, I havent heard anything either. Not sure if the med anthros are being informed separately, as the cultural acceptances were sent out last week. Last bit of hope....

I dont know what place I am in the chicago wait list; ill probably email them this week to try find out.

Hey friend,

I just heard from Columbia but I have no idea what it means. I'm so thrilled but quite nervous too.

"The faculty of the Department of Anthropology are very impressed with

your application. I am writing in the hope that I can talk to you

tomorrow, Monday, by telephone"

Please help me analyze this. Is it a sort of interview again? I'm getting tired of interviews without no definite reply. They usually ask for skype, ooVoo or something for interview. Anyone else heard anything from Columbia yet?

P.S. Congrats on the UCLA admission. It's indeed an amazing department! Lucky you!

Congrats to everyone on their admissions to various programs as well as receiving interviews at really competitive places!

Does anyone know if no interview at Northwestern means rejection? Do they admit sociocultural students without interviewing them first?

Has anyone heard from JHU or Columbia?

Congratulations on making an impression on 'em! ;) I shied away from Columbia at the last moment - the only faculty member who really drew me was Taussig, anyhow.

Seriously, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for clarification before taking the call. I think it's perfectly fair to ask straight up if they have already made a decision. That said, it really does look like an interview, I can't see why they wouldn't tell you if it was a "yes" right there. I hope I'm wrong about that, though :) Good luck either way!

Hey friend,

I just heard from Columbia but I have no idea what it means. I'm so thrilled but quite nervous too.

Please help me analyze this. Is it a sort of interview again? I'm getting tired of interviews without no definite reply. They usually ask for skype, ooVoo or something for interview. Anyone else heard anything from Columbia yet?

P.S. Congrats on the UCLA admission. It's indeed an amazing department! Lucky you!

Yeah actually I think I totally agree with you. I think that goes quite similar to my experience with NYU. They just requested interview because I'm an international student. Goodness knows what would happen.

Congratulations on making an impression on 'em! ;) I shied away from Columbia at the last moment - the only faculty member who really drew me was Taussig, anyhow.

Seriously, I wouldn't hesitate to ask for clarification before taking the call. I think it's perfectly fair to ask straight up if they have already made a decision. That said, it really does look like an interview, I can't see why they wouldn't tell you if it was a "yes" right there. I hope I'm wrong about that, though :) Good luck either way!

Hey - Thanks for the details! Speculation is a pain, right. I just wanted to know more details and really appreciate it. Ive been lucky enough to have some great offers, but stanford is still really at the top of my list, so I was anxiously searching for info.

Thanks again,

Hi. That poster on Stanford was me. The friend I was talking about was my partner's sister, so I'm inclined to believe her.She received an acceptance via e-mail to Stanford Anthro last week after having a phone interview with them a couple of days before. She received the formal letter this week with a nice funding package ($25,000/year stipend) and a $600 travel grant to visit the campus. I don't know what this means for other folks waiting to hear from Stanford. We can speculate that since she got a nice offer they may be trying to snatch her up quickly and they handle admits on a rolling basis. Or we can speculate that everyone gets a nice funding package and all admits have heard by now. Or we can speculate that all admits have heard by now no matter their funding.

We can speculate a lot and nothing is for certain until you personally receive your letter, whatever its contents. I just thought I'd put this info out there in case it's useful to anyone. If you'd prefer to consider it gossip to help you get through the difficult process, I can't say I blame you.

Agreed. You're lucky you've got some other offers though santhf! I'm sure it will work out for the best.

Quiqui-- Thanks for the details. I really appreciate it, especially because I'm currently living in an area that has precarious (at best) postal service, so my rejection letter will probably come later than most. I'm most anxious about Stanford because their rejection makes me 0 for 6... I'm assuming these "unofficial" rejections are what they seem to be and moving forward with some backup plans!

Hey - Thanks for the details! Speculation is a pain, right. I just wanted to know more details and really appreciate it. Ive been lucky enough to have some great offers, but stanford is still really at the top of my list, so I was anxiously searching for info.

Thanks again,

Hi persiondoc,

Whatever it is-- it's a good thing. But it certainly sounds like an interview to me! Was this sent by a potential advisor at Columbia? I got a similar message from one potential advisor, after I had already interviewed multiple times with the school. It ended up being a really informal Skype chat. The professor basically just wanted an update on my current work, and seemed to be double checking that I was really into the program. It was obvious he was going to enter the faculty meeting pulling for my admission (unfortunately he sent me an apologetic update a day later saying it didn't go his- or my- way).

Best of luck, and rest easy.

anthroapp

Hey friend,

Hi anthroapp11,

Thanks for your helpful note. Are you talking about season 2011 or your last year experience? Yeah, he is one of my potential advisors identified in my SOP.

cheers,

Hi persiondoc,

Whatever it is-- it's a good thing. But it certainly sounds like an interview to me! Was this sent by a potential advisor at Columbia? I got a similar message from one potential advisor, after I had already interviewed multiple times with the school. It ended up being a really informal Skype chat. The professor basically just wanted an update on my current work, and seemed to be double checking that I was really into the program. It was obvious he was going to enter the faculty meeting pulling for my admission (unfortunately he sent me an apologetic update a day later saying it didn't go his- or my- way).

Best of luck, and rest easy.

anthroapp

I'm referring to this season (2011)-- my first applying, and probably not my last! I got the bad news over the weekend. So much of this process is luck and departmental politics. But as I mentioned, my potential advisor was extremely indignant on my behalf. He encouraged me to cool my heels for a year (I'm currently on a Fulbright grant where I will pursue future dissertation research, hoping to stay an extra year and work for an NGO) and apply to work with him again next year. I'm definately surprised and have wallowed in my fair share of ice cream this weekend, but I know things will go my way eventually.

Hi anthroapp11,

Thanks for your helpful note. Are you talking about season 2011 or your last year experience? Yeah, he is one of my potential advisors identified in my SOP.

cheers,

Hey guys (anthroapp11 in particular),

my heart is broken. I've been waitlisted again. it was not an interview. they took up 6 and made 2 wait list offers. i'm at the top of the wait list again. he also encouraged me to apply next year because they're gonna have better fundings and expand their cohort,

cheers

P.S. I hate 777777777777777777777777

my heart is broken. I've been waitlisted again. it was not an interview. they took up 6 and made 2 wait list offers. i'm at the top of the wait list again. he also encouraged me to apply next year because they're gonna have better fundings and expand their cohort,

cheers

persiandoc,

I am sorry to hear this, BUT you are at the top of both waiting lists. There is no way that everyone will accept their admissions offer, so spots will free up for sure. I would be very surprised if you weren't offered admission into these programs by mid-March early April. Plus, there are some schools that you still haven't heard from, and we all know NYU is going to be a definite acceptance for you :-).

Good luck friend!

cheers

I agree with dlb89. You are on the top of two waitlists, and its bound to happen that someone turns down an offer at one or the other. I know the waiting is what's crushing you right now, but you have to take f pride in the fact that you have been taken extremely seriously as an applicant. Had it been any other year, you'd be in already. Lets see what NYU says.

Hey all,

AnthroApp, I applied to a ton of schools. I really had no idea where I stood with regards to the rest of the candidate pool. I think that was a good choice and ill luckily have a lot of options...if it doesnt work this year for you, then I saw keep applying. Reach out to professors and ask them about your statement, what sort of experience they are looking for, etc.

Also, I would "open" up space for the possibility of maybe a school ones step down in the rankings. "safety's" arent really safety in PhDs but, just maybe not like all number 1s. It seems like these programs are sometimes warmer anways, and may be nurturing of your interests and work as they are really excited to have such a qualified student. I think u know what I mean.

Good luck everyone.

Also, NYU or Duke today people? What are ya'll thinking?

persiandoc,

I am sorry to hear this, BUT you are at the top of both waiting lists. There is no way that everyone will accept their admissions offer, so spots will free up for sure. I would be very surprised if you weren't offered admission into these programs by mid-March early April. Plus, there are some schools that you still haven't heard from, and we all know NYU is going to be a definite acceptance for you :-).

Good luck friend!

Also, NYU or Duke today people? What are ya'll thinking?

I am praying to the adcomm gods that today will be the day that NYU notifies applicants. I had this wretched dream that I paid $10 less than the application fee in December and they wanted to admit me, but couldn't because of the app fee. I woke up drenched in sweat and checked my e-mails first thing. STILL no word :(

ha, thats sick

just kidding. levity.

I am praying to the adcomm gods that today will be the day that NYU notifies applicants. I had this wretched dream that I paid $10 less than the application fee in December and they wanted to admit me, but couldn't because of the app fee. I woke up drenched in sweat and checked my e-mails first thing. STILL no word :(

I hope that Duke will send us an email soon ! They are supposed to take a decision this week... I cain't wait no more - I wonder sometimes if they know that we have to make decisions that will affect the next 5 years of our lives (at least...)

Hi,

I posted my UPenn rejection in the results section. I was told that they only accepted two applicants for cultural anthropology and that they haven't sent out notifications yet. That's all I know.

Hope that helps!

That's depressing. Looks like I'm not getting in anywhere again this year. :-(

Edited by ArtemisKitty

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd put an update out there: I sent emails to both Stanford and New Mexico on Saturday asking about the decisions, and I got an email from my POI later Saturday night saying that I had been admitted with full funding to New Mexico (pretty excited, 2 for 2 so far). So I think the decisions there have been made, but the official responses just haven't gone out yet.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone.

I'm really sorry. But did you not defer your offer at Indiana last year?

I did, but no funding/tuition remission in folklore, and since then, my research interests have developed a bit anyway. I don't know what I'm going to do now. Already have 3 MAs, so the only way to improve my application is to publish some more, which won't be easy if I'm working full time. At least I have a job.

Edited by ArtemisKitty

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd put an update out there: I sent emails to both Stanford and New Mexico on Saturday asking about the decisions, and I got an email from my POI later Saturday night saying that I had been admitted with full funding to New Mexico (pretty excited, 2 for 2 so far). So I think the decisions there have been made, but the official responses just haven't gone out yet.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone.

Archaeology and EvoAnthro decisions have already been made at UNM, but cultural anthro decisions will be made today! i'm nervous!

First off, another round of congratulations to all of you who have heard good news in the past week. Also, I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who are posting "insider information" on a number of programs; it's helping to ease the nerves tremendously knowing that, although many of us are competing for the same positions, we're still willing to help one another out. :)

Right now I'm curious about what you just posted about Duke, rudy-dugoo. Have you heard whether all department decisions will be going out this week (and if they are, any idea what day?! :P) or if this is just restricted to cultural applicants? I know it's been mentioned previously that evo anth will be notifying people toward the end of February, so I'm hoping that all of the decisions go out at once.

Here's to hoping that this week brings some more postives for everyone!

I hope that Duke will send us an email soon ! They are supposed to take a decision this week... I cain't wait no more - I wonder sometimes if they know that we have to make decisions that will affect the next 5 years of our lives (at least...)