Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

Just saw a few Columbia rejections via website. Checked mine, nothing there. Has anyone else heard nothing? And any idea what this means?

Nothing here either. But I'm assuming it is still a rejection because people posted earlier about being waitlisted...

Hey thanks for responding. Crazy that we are in such similar situations. Do you mind saying a bit more about the intimidating feedback you've received about MAPSS?

Samuel: haha yeah it's pretty crazy! um i looked around here on gradcafe and people were talking about how it can be difficult to access professors at UChicago for M.A students, and how because its a one year programme you have to be on top of your game from the start. But I spoke yesterday to an alumnus from my undergrad uni who went through the MAPSS programme herself and loved it, and her take on this was that professors are going to be a bit hard to access anywhere--at any uni the PhDs will come first, and she thought Chicago was actually much better than most universities about this problem. i don't know too much about NSSR in this sense, so i don't know if this problem exists there. After talking to her, i'm probably angling more towards the UChicago programme, because their strength in South Asian studies is pretty unbeatable and i'm not sure that it's one of New School's strong points. Other than that i think the whole 2 years/1 year thing is what's giving me a bit of pause here because doing an entire M.A in one year is crazy intense and sounds kind of scary haha--at New School I'd have 2 years so maybe a bit more breathing space and time to explore a little before I write my thesis. But then I do have a fairly specific research interest, so it may not end up mattering too much. That's my current thought process about this anyway, would love to hear your input!

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with U Tennessee's bioanth/forensics program? There were some rejections posted mid-February, but I didn't receive one and haven't heard anything from the department. It seems like in past years they've given decisions pretty late in the game, but I'm curious as to what's going on and wondered if there was anyone who knew. I thought I'd check here before I emailed the department, since I feel a little strange about doing that. (I'm in somewhere else and very excited about it, but I'd kind of like to know what all my options are before I accept.)

Just saw a few Columbia rejections via website. Checked mine, nothing there. Has anyone else heard nothing? And any idea what this means?

Consolation MA is what it meant for me...sigh. Though the possibility of Columbia is tempting me, I am a little miffed that they asked for a reply by April 11. What about you?

I don't know, I think it's cool that I got into the MA program at Columbia. I'm not going to go, but given that I don't even have any official background in anthropology, I feel good about even a 'consolation' acceptance. I am sure they received hundreds of applications and had a difficult time deciding.

Edited by Jillian Mary

Same. I'm going to take my MAPSS offer though. I have 1/2 funding and my focus is linguistic anthropology, which isn't really big in Columbia, but awesome at Chicago.

Consolation MA is what it meant for me...sigh. Though the possibility of Columbia is tempting me, I am a little miffed that they asked for a reply by April 11. What about you?

Same. I'm going to take my MAPSS offer though. I have 1/2 funding and my focus is linguistic anthropology, which isn't really big in Columbia, but awesome at Chicago.

Yeah, I got 1/2 funding to the New School and am in the same boat. Here I come NSSR! Not to say that getting admitted to the MA at Columbia isn't an honor in and of itself.

Edited by truc

For sure an honor . My current adviser said that MAPSS is a better masters program than Columbia though, but then again he's probably slightly biased since he graduated from UChicago and also worked as a preceptor for MAPSS as well.

Yeah, I got 1/2 funding to the New School and am in the same boat. Here I come NSSR! Not to say that getting admitted to the MA at Columbia isn't an honor in and of itself.

Congrats to all the MA acceptances at Columbia! Even if you don't go, you can always say, "I got into grad school at Columbia!" I still haven't heard from them! I have a PhD offer I'm pretty much prepared to sign and accept elsewhere, but I need closure from Columbia before I can move on (since they are some of the biggest players in my field of interest) even though I'm fairly certain it will be a rejection at this point. (I just want to know for sure, so I can quell the "what if's" in my head). I already have an MA in anthropology, so that was never an option for me, but I must admit I would have been much happier with an MA offer than a rejection, just for bragging rights! I hope they'll send out their final wave of notifications soon. This is the last school I'm waiting on, and I am SO ready to accept an offer, and banish all the anxiety and uncertainty of grad applications from my life!

Edited to Add:

The application website doesn't say anything but "submitted" for me. For those who have received either rejections or acceptances (both are posted as "via website" on the results forum), what did the website look like? Is there a link? It also looks like some folks got emails? How did you find out? Thanks for any info!

Edited by anonthropology

Thanks! Now I guess I can stop checking the website (and start hitting refresh on my inbox every ten seconds instead!).

I got an email that directed me to the application website. A new link appeared at the bottom of the main screen with the results. You should receive an email, I think, when yours is ready.

Hi All,

I did the MA at Columbia and am now choosing where to do my PhD.. I think it was a really successful endeavor, but financially difficult. Hunter is another great option if you are NY based, and you can take classes at CUNY for cheapola.

I loved Columbia and have had a lot of success - i think if you are dead set on getting into a top rated phD program, and you go into Columbia knowing that, trying to find advisors who will write you recs, and staying really focused all along, it can be useful. There is little sense of a "cohort" feeling as you are taking classes in a mix of PhD, MAs and other depts.

Using the time during your MA to make connections though is a really great way to have a lot of PhD options. Also getting your faculty advisors to help you write your application essays, etc.

Email me if you have more questions. I would say the MA is good if you are self directed, but dont expect any hand holding through it. You have to struggle to get faculty attention as they are not committed to their MA students (some wonderful faculty are, and you need to find out who they are in your subfield). Some faculty just dont care about MAs. Which is frustrating since you pay 30,000 for it.

These are just my 2 cents, but I think others would say the same thing.

I got into a lot of PhD programs with funding and this would never have happened with out my MA from Columbia.

-S

Thanks! Now I guess I can stop checking the website (and start hitting refresh on my inbox every ten seconds instead!).

I just got admitted to the MA program at Columbia (/not admitted to the phd program, but let's focus on the positive!). I'm actually finishing up an MA this year (elsewhere of course), so this is not an option for me, but I do think earning an MA first can be really helpful. That was certainly the case for me. I'm finishing up my MA now, and I think it helped me during this application season. Now I've heard from all my programs and it's decision time!

Hi Santhf, I found some comment by anthrogeek posted two years ago. I'm curious how would you respond to his comment? And would you share some information where most previous students (or your classmates) go after finishing the ma program?

I got my b.a. in anthro from columbia and know a lot of students and professors in the department (I also applied to the phd program this year).

I talked to my advisor in the department last week and he said that all of the accepted phd students have already been notified. The only reason why the rest of us haven't heard anything is because columbia gsas is super slow at processing information. If you haven't already received a call or an email from columbia then you weren't admitted to the phd program.

Some of us may be offered masters degrees but, unlike mapps, columbia doesn't give any funding or tuition waiver to m.a. students. those who have the option of doing an ma in anthro elsewhere should definitely go elsewhere! the columbia anthro masters program is TERRIBLE. I know a lot of people who completed the program and none of them have anything good to say about it. The m.a. program simply earns money for the department. There aren't enough course offerings for masters students, it's hard to get into classes, get attention from professors, etc. If you're offered an m.a. i would HIGHLY recommend either doing an m.a. elsewhere or simply taking a year off and reapplying to the phd program.

For those set on getting into columbia anthro for a phd: for some reason columbia prefers students who do NOT already have a masters degree in anthropology. This is what my advisor as well as the dept head told me (don't ask me why, that's just how they are). This year was an exception. However, if you really want to get into Columbia anthro you should take a year and reapply directly to the phd program rather than do an m.a.

HI! so, my response is that it is not terrible. it is expensive though and it is a money maker. If you get offers elsewhere, i would go there. I decided between hunter and columbia and decided to invest in columbia because if i didnt go on to get a PHD (which I am now doing) then, I wanted to have the MA from a "big name" (BS as it may be).

I am a pretty assertive person and I went in to the program knowing what i wanted. (Recs, relationships, and to get preped to go on to a phd program). If you dawdle in the program, no one cares and no one is going to catch you. If you are self directed, and efficient, i think it can be great. Honestly, i never had a problem getting into classes...but, the profs. i ended up working with were considered pretty friendly to MA students. It took a while to forge those relationships though, so you have to be patient. There are no profs. welocming you there.

I was disappointed when I first started, but honestly i got into some amazing phd programs - now im deciding between Berkeley, Duke and NYU. I WOULDN NEVER have gotten into them without the MA and the help i got on my apps from my friends/faculty at columbia. My thesis advisor helped me with my admissions essay and really critiqued it, so it was really tight and good by the time I sent it out. This required a lot of planning on my end (i started the summer of 2010 for Fall 2011 admissions).

So, its a crap shoot, and expensive. if you are organized, nice, and excited i think youll do well at Columbia.

you need to go in with focus and commitment and the faculty will take that seriously - at least that was my experience.

an MA from Columbia though is NO GUARANTEE for acceptance into PhD programs, its all about your recs, statement, and well thought out project. (which being in an MA can help with).

GOOD LUCK!

Hi Santhf, I found some comment by anthrogeek posted two years ago. I'm curious how would you respond to his comment? And would you share some information where most previous students (or your classmates) go after finishing the ma program?

So yesterday I called the FLAS coordinator at Columbia to find out if I'd still be eligible for it since I got into the MA program, but not the PhD program. She said that when I didn't get into the PhD program, she never forwarded my application to the committee, but since I called and asked about it, she said the committee is still willing to look at it since final decisions haven't been made yet, but will be done by early next week, before the April 11 response deadline. So if you applied for a FLAS at Columbia and got into the MA program, I suggest calling them and making sure your FLAS application is being forwarded despite the PhD rejection. If I get the FLAS, I'll probably go to Columbia, but if not, Chicago here I come.

It's interesting that you mention UGA. My main interest is Environmental Anthropology, and I was accepted into the PhD program at UGA and the MA at UNM. I was also accepted into the MA at Columbia, but not into PhDs at the top-tier schools to which I applied. My interests very closely match those of the professors at UGA, but I am concerned about the rigor of the programs at UGA and UNM, as well as hireability and respect in the academic community after I earn a PhD. But I can in no way afford an unfunded MA at Columbia and living in NYC to boot. Does anyone have helpful advice for someone in my position? I'm having a very difficult time making a decision (and I don't intend to wait another year). Thanks!

Christine Fair.

In terms of MAPSS scholarship, they do give out a lot of scholarships in the range of 1/3, 2/3...but I know of three people who got full rides, one of whom got into berkeley (diff department) while applying when they were in their MAPSS year. As another poster mentioned, a big part is showing success at the graduate level. Caveat: some schools are seen as more rigorous than others which is why the 1 open job in XYZ school will likely go to the guy with the phd from Irvine rather than the one from UGA. Fair? Nope. Reality? Sadly.

It's interesting that you mention UGA. My main interest is Environmental Anthropology, and I was accepted into the PhD program at UGA and the MA at UNM. I was also accepted into the MA at Columbia, but not into PhDs at the top-tier schools to which I applied. My interests very closely match those of the professors at UGA, but I am concerned about the rigor of the programs at UGA and UNM, as well as hireability and respect in the academic community after I earn a PhD. But I can in no way afford an unfunded MA at Columbia and living in NYC to boot. Does anyone have helpful advice for someone in my position? I'm having a very difficult time making a decision (and I don't intend to wait another year). Thanks!

Rankings for anthropology was done in the mid-nineties and only done on the programs that allowed/wanted them to rank them. A lot of programs said no thank you so you can't just go off the rankings. I don't go to georgia but have heard that they have a very good and respected culture program. For jobs, it's mainly is your advisor respected and what do you do while there. The advisor can get you an interview. also schools need to respect your advisor. I am not culture so I am not sure how they are respected but you did apply there for a reason since you should never apply to a university that you don't what to go to because you can only get one phd, in theory.

One of my profs, a well respected anthropologist, did her MA at UGA before going on to do a PhD elsewhere. If you like enviro anthro they are REALLY great, and everyone in the field knows that (i think) - If it was me, I would even consider doing an MA there over Columbia if you are interested in Enviro stuff (there is little going on in enviro at Columbia - this is my area of interest and thee is really one (maybe 2 ) anthros doing that kind of work at Columbia.

gl

Rankings for anthropology was done in the mid-nineties and only done on the programs that allowed/wanted them to rank them. A lot of programs said no thank you so you can't just go off the rankings. I don't go to georgia but have heard that they have a very good and respected culture program. For jobs, it's mainly is your advisor respected and what do you do while there. The advisor can get you an interview. also schools need to respect your advisor. I am not culture so I am not sure how they are respected but you did apply there for a reason since you should never apply to a university that you don't what to go to because you can only get one phd, in theory.

HI! so, my response is that it is not terrible. it is expensive though and it is a money maker. If you get offers elsewhere, i would go there. I decided between hunter and columbia and decided to invest in columbia because if i didnt go on to get a PHD (which I am now doing) then, I wanted to have the MA from a "big name" (BS as it may be).

I am a pretty assertive person and I went in to the program knowing what i wanted. (Recs, relationships, and to get preped to go on to a phd program). If you dawdle in the program, no one cares and no one is going to catch you. If you are self directed, and efficient, i think it can be great. Honestly, i never had a problem getting into classes...but, the profs. i ended up working with were considered pretty friendly to MA students. It took a while to forge those relationships though, so you have to be patient. There are no profs. welocming you there.

I was disappointed when I first started, but honestly i got into some amazing phd programs - now im deciding between Berkeley, Duke and NYU. I WOULDN NEVER have gotten into them without the MA and the help i got on my apps from my friends/faculty at columbia. My thesis advisor helped me with my admissions essay and really critiqued it, so it was really tight and good by the time I sent it out. This required a lot of planning on my end (i started the summer of 2010 for Fall 2011 admissions).

So, its a crap shoot, and expensive. if you are organized, nice, and excited i think youll do well at Columbia.

you need to go in with focus and commitment and the faculty will take that seriously - at least that was my experience.

an MA from Columbia though is NO GUARANTEE for acceptance into PhD programs, its all about your recs, statement, and well thought out project. (which being in an MA can help with).

GOOD LUCK!

Hello! So I have been accepted in to the MA at Columbia (originally applied for the PhD) and am now weighing my current options. I had one quick question: does anyone know how many "consolation prize" MAs are handed out by Columbia each year? I know that my drive to get my PhD and a career in this field will carry me through just fine, and the above comments are very helpful in regards to what I can expect if I go to Columbia next year. However, if there are some 50 students pursuing their MA in anthro, obviously it makes the job of standing out and getting the attention of professors who in general do not care about MA students even more difficult. Of course, I don't think there are actually 50 students doing this, but you get my point.

Judging by responses on these boards more than a handful of students were rejected to the PhD but accepted to the MA. I am just wondering if anyone has an idea of on average how many students will be in the same boat as myself if I choose to accept the offer. Being 1 out of 5 verses 1 out of 25 brings a completely different atmosphere to the table.

Edited by runscottie

Thank you! I decided to accept the offer of admission to the PhD program at UGA. I'm excited to get started. If anyone else will be going to UGA, please let me know!

One of my profs, a well respected anthropologist, did her MA at UGA before going on to do a PhD elsewhere. If you like enviro anthro they are REALLY great, and everyone in the field knows that (i think) - If it was me, I would even consider doing an MA there over Columbia if you are interested in Enviro stuff (there is little going on in enviro at Columbia - this is my area of interest and thee is really one (maybe 2 ) anthros doing that kind of work at Columbia.

gl

I don't know the answer to your question, but based on the large number of people on this website who were offered the MA but are not accepting the offer, I think they probably offer it to quite a lot of people. Since it isn't funded, probably only a small percentage of people actually do it. I talked to some profs at other programs to which I was accepted, and they all said it would be "tempting" to accept the Columbia MA, even without funding, because of the amazing resources, reputation, and (at least reputation for) rigor. Plus, you would be in NYC, a place where connections and resources abound for almost any field of study. It all depends on what you make of it, not on numbers!

Hello! So I have been accepted in to the MA at Columbia (originally applied for the PhD) and am now weighing my current options. I had one quick question: does anyone know how many "consolation prize" MAs are handed out by Columbia each year? I know that my drive to get my PhD and a career in this field will carry me through just fine, and the above comments are very helpful in regards to what I can expect if I go to Columbia next year. However, if there are some 50 students pursuing their MA in anthro, obviously it makes the job of standing out and getting the attention of professors who in general do not care about MA students even more difficult. Of course, I don't think there are actually 50 students doing this, but you get my point.

Judging by responses on these boards more than a handful of students were rejected to the PhD but accepted to the MA. I am just wondering if anyone has an idea of on average how many students will be in the same boat as myself if I choose to accept the offer. Being 1 out of 5 verses 1 out of 25 brings a completely different atmosphere to the table.

I don't know the numbers at Columbia, but the program probably has them online.

At Chicago, where I did my MA, there were about 40 MA students interested in anthropology. Despite this, it was fairly easy to prove yourself and stand out--if you are motivated and, in fact, PhD material. If you're not, that might be more challenging--and might help to reconsider/revise your future plans. In my year, there were about 7 or so of us who stood out, only 4 of us (out of 6 that I know of) applied, and 3 got in, and 1 was waitlisted. Just as a case study...

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Has anyone applied to the Columbia's GSAS program- the MA in Museum Anthropology? I'm wondering if you already heard from the department whether you have been accepted or not for Fall 2011. The deadline was April 15th, but it seems awfully long to hear back about a decision. I need to get back to other schools that have already accepted me.

-Zoe