Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

Hey all, I was just wondering about the offer from Rutgers? I interviewed with them, but they made it seem as though they hadnt yet done offers. Its great news if you did get an offer, just makes me wonder for my own sake ;) All the best, S

No contacts with asu this year, but I do know for a fact they have an unofficially waitlist. Also, the whole school is having major budget issues and the anthropology department can't take on as many as they want. But I know they still admit people, they just have to be even more selective who they take.

Hi Anthropologygeek,

Could you please tell me more about Yale and NYU's interviews? I did three interviews at Yale last week, which was an acid test. I personally believe my interviews went well. One took longer than an hour and half. I got an interview for NYU for the coming week. I'm extraordinarily tense and out-stressed. I'm kinda numb these days. Could you please tell me ANYTHING that you know about these two schools' interview fashions? I mean how many do they normally take and how would they break their interviewees to their final list. I heard from an interviewer from Yale that they sent out invites to 25 applicants and I assume they would take some 4, 5 final admits. The other guy heard the same thing during their interview too. What about NYU?

a bunch of thanks in advance,

No contacts with asu this year, but I do know for a fact they have an unofficially waitlist. Also, the whole school is having major budget issues and the anthropology department can't take on as many as they want. But I know they still admit people, they just have to be even more selective who they take.

Sorry I do not know anything about those programs. I know about some from my friends who are applying while finishing up their masters at my school and some from contacts I have made at various schools. I generally come on here on my way home from school because I know how I felt when applying and I try to help whenever I can

On 2/10/2011 at 11:31 PM, anthropologygeek said:

that's expected as its what i've heard about ASU. they're the only school on my list that doesn't fully fund so its a pretty small chance of me ending up there. Just been so long since I submitted that app! (2 months) you'd think they'd have sent something out by now.

if anyone knows anything about WashU, UCLA-Anthro or UChicago, also always welcomed!

Breaking news! (not sure of the reliability tho)

Someone has posted their rejection from CUNY grad center in sociocultural anthro in the results page. They seemed to be quite frustrated too. Their rejection dates back to 10! Please excuse my naivete if they tend to tease us!

Any news from CUNY grad center? plz keep us updated!

Breaking news! (not sure of the reliability tho)

Someone has posted their rejection from CUNY grad center in sociocultural anthro in the results page. They seemed to be quite frustrated too. Their rejection dates back to 10! Please excuse my naivete if they tend to tease us!

Any news from CUNY grad center? plz keep us updated!

Take everything result in the results section with a grain of salt unless there's multiple posts.

I'm still waiting on a few schools, but i have a few acceptances too :)

Cuny officially rejected me yesterday afternoon. And I did not post the result in the result section, but based on the other results, I guess there was a wave of rejection yesterday. If you haven't heard back I guess it is a good sign. My feeling is they took a quick look and eliminated some in the first round...

Hi there,

plz tell us how you got your rejection notification? Did you get an email asking you to check your embark or what? did you get the rejection in your email or what? I haven't got any notification yet and as I checked my embark there was nothing mentioned there either, should I take it as a positive sign?

Cuny officially rejected me yesterday afternoon. And I did not post the result in the result section, but based on the other results, I guess there was a wave of rejection yesterday. If you haven't heard back I guess it is a good sign. My feeling is they took a quick look and eliminated some in the first round...

It looks like UCLA has been slowly updating their online notification. People have reported rejections; mine still says undecided. You can check from the UCLA Grad Division website.

Word from multiple sources at UChicago confirm that decisions have been made, sent upstairs, awaiting confirmation, to be sent out next week!

it's good to get confirmation. i didn't apply, but i appreciate that everyone is willing to share results.

It looks like UCLA has been slowly updating their online notification. People have reported rejections; mine still says undecided. You can check from the UCLA Grad Division website.

Word from multiple sources at UChicago confirm that decisions have been made, sent upstairs, awaiting confirmation, to be sent out next week!

ah, you're the first person i've seen on here in arch applying to the same schools as I am. good luck to you!

Where do you see any sort of status on the UCLA grad division site? I've been assuming no news is good news.

ah, you're the first person i've seen on here in arch applying to the same schools as I am. good luck to you!

Where do you see any sort of status on the UCLA grad division site? I've been assuming no news is good news.

The wait for NYU is getting agonizing, especially since it is my top school and I know I am on the shortlist

same, especially because i'm doing this right out of undergrad and its my first application season I am continuing to prepare myself for the worst. i keep telling myself it only takes one but I sure as hell hope I will get at least one. And hear soon.

Thanks for the update! You haven't heard if they did interviews, have you?

When I visited, there was no mention of doing interviews by anyone (professors or graduate dept chair). I also met with the entire archaeology faculty when I was there, so I don't know if they do interview but waived mine since they'd already met me. I don't think they did interviews (they're a pretty small department and don't get as many applications as other places), and if they do them I didn't get an official one.

I don't know either way though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Good luck!

https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp

That's the page for status updates, it links from http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/applicat.htm (Decision Status).

Good luck to you, too! Maybe we'll be lucky enough to end up at the same place! What kind of arch do you do?

https://www.gradadmi...ssionStatus.asp

That's the page for status updates, it links from http://www.gdnet.ucl...ns/applicat.htm (Decision Status).

Good luck to you, too! Maybe we'll be lucky enough to end up at the same place! What kind of arch do you do?

Wow I somehow missed that links existence entirely. It still says "Submitted" so who knows what that means.

I'm in Andean studies, particularly cultural transmission, immigration and mortuary culture on the south coast. What about you?

As I posted earlier I did call the Harvard's anthro department and they said they'd make their notifications sometime around end Feb. From what they said, not mentioned straightforwardly tho, I gathered they wouldn't do interviews. Do you know if they conducted interviews last year or what? My friend at Harvard's anthro is in his 7th year and not familiar with the new policies and admissions processes,

As the other anthros keep saying, Columbia is the king of tardiness,

So...anyone have the word on Columbia or Harvard?